Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Newbie with a time crunch        (Topic#1534945)
New Kid On the Block

Hi all... first let me apologize since I'm sure these questions have been ask a hundred times before. I just thought it would be easier to explain my situation.

I am NOT a crafty person. I have little to no artistic ability in the real world. I am however pretty good at computer graphics. So I must have at least a little creative ability in there somewhere, right?

Anyway... I've decided to do a scrapbook for my daughter for her graduation party. The party is July 1st. I've never done a scrapbook before. Is this even do-able in this time frame?

I decided to start by going through pictures that I want to include, but after 18 years of life, how in the heck do you choose just a handful to include in a book about her life?

Am I crazy to attempt this? Can anyone give me some direction (or a shot of tequila)?

I have a few ideas and rather than doing the entire book chronologically, I thought I'd do a few theme pages... for example like a Halloween layout with photos of costumes over the years and maybe a family layout with pictures of her with various members of our extended family. Things like that. The book would start with her ultrasound and end with her graduation.

Does this sound jumbled or does it really matter in the final project?

Thanks so much for reading this far and listening to my rambling.

Kerry

Thanni
Thanni 
Guru
Thanni
In response to kerryann69

Hi Kerry - Yes it's always so difficult to choose just a few photos for an album, and I think that your idea with the theme pages is a great way of getting the album together. Guess it will be easier that way in the time frame you have to work within, and still it will be a great way to show her life up till now.
So of course you can get it done, it just takes a bit of planning...and good luck with your project

kelsey kay 2012
Veteran
kelsey kay 2012
In response to Thanni

Do it like yearly? Start with the New Years pictures of her life, then go to Valentines day over her 18 yrs, Easter, blah blah blah. Get it? So its chronological by theme

scraprabbit
Queen
scraprabbit
In response to kelsey kay 2012

Just a thought, but if you're good with computer graphics maybe you could make a digital scrapbook album instead? There are TONS of digital kits available - many are even free. You could then print them out or use them as a slideshow at her party.

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to scraprabbit

• scraprabbit Said:
Just a thought, but if you're good with computer graphics maybe you could make a digital scrapbook album instead? There are TONS of digital kits available - many are even free. You could then print them out or use them as a slideshow at her party.

I agree! If you're wanting to be completely done by July, I would do a digi book. heck, some sites even make and print them for you in a regular bound book that looks really nice. For someone who has never scrapped and also considers herself non-craft, I would think this is the way to go.

New Kid On the Block
In response to Here Kitty

Thanks everyone for the tips. I'd like to do a regular scrapbook rather than a digital one. I wouldn't even know how to begin a digital one anyway. I did some searching on this site and got some good ideas. I'm going shopping today to get a few supplies and will start compiling this weekend.

CMLeach
Governor
CMLeach

Something else to consider is hybrid scrapping.

You can create a photo collage in a program like Photoshop, Gimp, etc. using templates you find online. This will let you get a lot of pictures on a page without the hassle of physically cropping them down to size. You can also write out all of your journaling. If there's a story you want to tell that's more than a few lines, this will let you get more on a page.

I just did two layouts in this manner, and it was quite liberating how quickly they went together. One of them is in my gallery right now (A Day in the Life) and another will be posted later today (Bedtime Routine) if you want to see an example of how hybrid scrapping could potentially work for you.

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato

#1 piece of advice KEEP IT SIMPLE!
what works for me
1) first hurdle, going through your photos and picking out the ones you want to use.
2) pick out your overall color schemes and pattern paper themes. This is where purchasing a stack of matching papers really helps.
3) on a large table (or floor) lay out your papers and divide up your photos. This is just to get a really "top line" overview. You can then determine if you have way too many photos (or not enough).
4) next if you have them, lay out any embellishments, ribbon, stickers, titles, journaling. Lay them right on top of your photos & papers. This is to determine what you may be missing (and to remind yourself to use what you bought).
5) now it's time to start "fine tuning" the photos. Crop/trim the photos, ink the edges, & add mats, etc..
"Fine tune" your titles, journaling, etc. Try and work on the elements for a couple pages at a time.
6) next start "fine tuning" your individual pages, glue things down.
7) finally add some bling, handwritten text, etc

You lay everything out, then stack it all up, work on a couple pages at a time, and then apply finishing touches.
The key it to think of the ENTIRE project as a whole and not get sucked into a single page. Seeing the big picture (a general idea of all of the pages you want to create) may help you with time management. And remember every page does not have to be a masterpiece. It's the overall book that is the masterpiece.

PS and one more little piece of advice, In the interest of not having to run to the store several times you may want to purchase just a little extra of everything. There is nothing more frustrating to going to the store for the 3rd (or 4th) time to buy the exact same color of cardstock when you could have just bought a few more sheets the first time, or serching for just one more sheet of the same pattern paper...

Brandilynn
Expert
Brandilynn
In response to Gelidy Gelato

I would recommend digi
1)your already good with computers
2)ALOT faster
3)if your new to this you probably dont have supplies???? there are ALOT of free digi scrap stuff and if you dont like it you havent wasted your $ scrapping supplies are expensive very easy to spend $1000 and that will just start you off.

good luck!!!!

nonnysbooks
Veteran
nonnysbooks
In response to Brandilynn

pageI would recommend:

Step 1: Sort your photos, as you go through them some memories will probably be jogged...jot those down. Remember you don't have to scrapbook every picture you ever took. Assess how much time you have to put into this by July, and be honest with yourself.

Step 2: Pick the stories you want to tell, consider how to tell those stories. Favorite colors, movies, games, music, subject in school, places to go, etc. may help find a theme.

Step 3: With these ideas in mind, then you head out for any scrapping supplies you may need. A good LSS may be able to help you get started.

If you have a lot of pictures and little time, consider a Photo Album Scrapbook. You slide the photos into some of the slots, and other slots on the page can have some patterned paper and your journaling (storytelling notes). These divided page protectors can hold a multitude of pictures, but nothing says every one of them must have a photo, you can do a card of other embellishment in any of the pockets, and be plenty creative.

Remember, anytime you pair pictures and memories, you are scrapbooking.

IzzyB
IzzyB 
Mayor
IzzyB
  • IzzyB on 05-21-10 09:01 AM
In response to nonnysbooks

I'm a fairly experienced scrapper but I couldn't finish a whole book by July 1. I only complete about a page a week, but I work full time and have little ones. Maybe you have more free time?

I think the suggestion above to use the 12 x 12 photos sleeves is an EXCELLENT idea and definitely the fastest way to get a scrapbook done. You can scrap a page, then put in a photo sleeve, scrap another page, insert a photo sleeve, etc. That would save you a lot of time and also allow you to use a lot of photos.

Scrapping traditionally is very time-consuming and even more so if you are new.

New Kid On the Block
In response to IzzyB

Thanks everyone for their suggestions and opinions. I have no doubt now that I can handle this project. Even as a novice I have my game plan in place. I've purchased the book and some pages and embellishments. I have the photos sorted and have already mapped out the pages I plan to do. It may not be as fancy or elaborate as some of you seasoned scrapbookers would do, but she'll know it's from my heart and will appreciate the work I put into it. Thanks again everyone.

Kerry

Darkflame_30
Expert
Darkflame_30

Do you have a local scrapbook store? For a fee (or not sometimes....ones i go to dont' charge if you're just randomly there) you can use lots of punches, letter things, cutters, etc....so you don't have to buy them right away!

this is useful if you just are starting out....

I'm a returning scrapbooker, so i had some things, and other people bought me stuff (luckily a cricut...i LOVE it)....

but yeah, try your LSS....they will be more than happy to help!

leslief
Idol
leslief

• kerryann69 Said:
Thanks everyone for their suggestions and opinions. I have no doubt now that I can handle this project. Even as a novice I have my game plan in place. I've purchased the book and some pages and embellishments. I have the photos sorted and have already mapped out the pages I plan to do. It may not be as fancy or elaborate as some of you seasoned scrapbookers would do, but she'll know it's from my heart and will appreciate the work I put into it. Thanks again everyone.

Kerry

I've tried to make a couple of books with tight deadlines that I just couldn't make. I completed as much of the book as possible and made pretty little signs that read, "under construction" for the blank pages. It turned out to be even better, because the people (my sister and my niece) gave me pics that they wanted to be included. If you use a D-ring you can do as much as possible and add those pages later.
That being said-- I know a few people that can do an ENTIRE book in a weekend-- the pages are not as elaborate as they usually make them, but the people receiving the books ALWAYS love and appreciate them.

nicelydone
New Kid On the Block
nicelydone
In response to leslief

Don't be afraid to leave some blank spots if you run out of time or don't have the right pic in front of you. It can always be filled in late.r I like the under construction idea from a poster above.

darkone
New Kid On the Block
darkone
In response to nicelydone

I find that sometimes the simpler the page is the better it looks and doesn't distract from the photo's.

mollydog
Veteran
mollydog
In response to darkone

I had two collage pgs made yesterday for my son's graduation book (he graduated in '09) and love them. You can pick your background and a title and pick them up in about an hour. Hope this idea helps.

New Kid On the Block

OF COURSE YOU CAN DO IT!! If you want to do it cost effectively and use as little or as much photos that you want - I would recommend using digital scrapbookin'. There are some really good ones - Close to My Heart Studio J is good.

Good luck and ask for help if you need it.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam

• kerryann69 Said:

Kerry

It sounds like you've got a plan and have it under control. I've been in this situation before where I've had to do a gift album in a short amount of time. I kept everything simple, chose my favorite photos, and included touching and relevant quotes. As long as it's from the heart, she will cherish it.

New Kid On the Block
In response to Luvmyfam

Thanks again for the comments and suggestions. But again, I want to do a regular scrap book not a digital one. Everyone knows I have the ability to do a digital one, I do things like that all the time. I wanted this to be special by doing something that's out of the norm for me even if it is out of my comfort zone.

I finished my first page, by myself this weekend and then went to a friend's house yesterday and she helped me complete 4 more pages.

So I'm on my way and actually having fun doing it.

Kerry

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics