Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: When to spend?        (Topic#1536081)
MissaOnTheRun
Mayor
MissaOnTheRun

When buying materials for SBing what items require buying the best stuff out there? I have found that cheap adhesives are cheap for a reason, and getting good adhesives is not an option. What else fits into this category? I want to make sure that my Scrapbooks are something my family can enjoy for a long time to come.

HisGEM
HisGEM 
Diva
HisGEM
In response to MissaOnTheRun

Adhesives I found is one of those things you really want them to last. As far other things...just make sure you are storing correctly and everything is archival safe and acid free. Oh I just thought of something..all cardstock is not created equal. Some tend to be thinner than others. I guess it depends on what type of project you are going to do to though. Not much help there eh?

One thing I do notice and not to take away from other punches is that I go with Fiskar punches. They have a waranty which is great! I do own other punches, but I love them (Fiskar) and they are worth the money...

cindy312
Diva
cindy312
In response to HisGEM

In addition to adhesives, I'd recommend name-brand paper and cardstock, punches, rub-ons, scissors, and paper trimmers. You don't need name-brand chipboard, ribbon, flowers, eyelets, brads, buttons, mists, and in some cases, pens. I'm sure others will disagree (for example, it is really handy to buy ribbons that are made to coordinate with your paper).

Good luck!
Cindy

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to cindy312

• cindy312 Said:
In addition to adhesives, I'd recommend name-brand paper and cardstock, punches, rub-ons, scissors, and paper trimmers. You don't need name-brand chipboard, ribbon, flowers, eyelets, brads, buttons, mists, and in some cases, pens. I'm sure others will disagree (for example, it is really handy to buy ribbons that are made to coordinate with your paper).

Good luck!
Cindy

I would disagree with this. I am a faithful Making Memories eyelet girl. I've had others that don't set right or smash.
I just stay away from the cheapo ones.

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato

There are lots of items that you do not necessarily have to buy the "scrapbook" version or buy it at a scrapbook store. Often you can buy the exact same items cheaper elsewhere. Afterall a acid-free photo glue stick is a acid-free photo glue stick wheither you buy it at the Scrapbook store or at the supermarket.

BUT the things you should not skimp on are;
- paper (cheap papers will fade),
- markers (cheap markers will fade),
- Photo paper (always get the absolute best! everything else WILL fade),
- adhesives

They things to buy the best you can afford because the cheaper versions will drive you nuts are:
- scissors
- paper trimmer
- circle & oval cutter
- punches
and buy a cropadile

PS another way to look at it is... for the materials that come into contact with your photos buy the very best you can afford.

and just in case noone has mentioned it,
NEVER scrap an unreplaceable original of anything! ALWAYS MAKE COPIES!

check out my blog for great links to threads about...
Looking for inexpensive alternatives to save money on scrapbooking materials. Going green/recycling, reusing materials instead of throwing them out.
From a creative point of view, using interesting non-traditional materials in scrapbooking.
http://www.scrapbook.com/blogs/184183/view/135 237.html

IzzyB
IzzyB 
Mayor
IzzyB
  • IzzyB on 06-05-10 04:23 AM
In response to Gelidy Gelato

I second the idea to buy a good adhesive. My personal favorite is a Tombow tape runner. You can buy it here or in any craft store. They are refillable.

Cutterbee scissors are a must, in my opinion. Do not buy cheap scissors. You can get Cutterbees here or at a craft store.

For craft store items, remember your coupon.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to IzzyB

Gelidy made some good points.
Many of my tools came from a hardware store. I got a pack of 7 tweezers for $2.99. I also got a spring loaded hole punch for $1.99 (I use it all the time to quickly punch a hole for brads).

Now, granted, these are not cute pink or lime green ... but they do the same job, for way less money!

MissaOnTheRun
Mayor
MissaOnTheRun
In response to Bxr-Linda

Thanks! I am so glad that this is a really reasonable list.

scraprabbit
Queen
scraprabbit

The list of things I am willing to pay more for because they're really worth it is: photo paper, adhesive, paper trimmer, scissors. That's about it. Oh, and pens! I do make sure my paper/cardstock is acid-free, but I'll buy the cheap stuff if I like it.

HisGEM
HisGEM 
Diva
HisGEM
In response to scraprabbit

I forgot about photo paper! Glad some other mentioned it!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to HisGEM

I disagree that you don't need to buy brand name ribbon,,,,I've tried the cheap stuff, and it sucks hard to make a nice beautiful bow that drapes just so without pliable, soft ribbon,,,,,,

I buy Basic Basic at M's and it's SO much nicer than the WM stuff,,,,their satin ribbon is shiny on BOTH sides, rather than just one side and dull on the other,,,makes bows so much prettier,,,

even though it's twice the cost, I'm willing to pay it, and I buy BUNCHES of it when it goes on sale for 50% off,,,,,

Edited by CommaHolly on 06-05-10 09:30 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to CommaHolly

Additionally, on the same idea, I used to buy cheap lace,,,,,since lace is soooooo expensive,,,,

then I got some Prima lace on EBAY for a good price and WOW!!!!!!! It's amazing,,,,MUCH nicer than anything I've bought at WM,,,,,,so there you have it,,,,,sometimes paying extra makes a difference,,,,,

Darkflame_30
Expert
Darkflame_30

I have never had an issue with cheap adhesive....i use glue sticks, vellum, photo squares (which are my favourite), pop dots, etc...and have never had an issue....they've held things I never thought they could...

I did win a bottle of Zip dry from sb.com on national scrapbooking day and it's great, I would definitely buy it again....

I love Bazzil cardstock...I do try to scrapbook on the cheap, so a lot of stuff I have is dollar store or WM

CMLeach
Governor
CMLeach
In response to Darkflame_30

I mostly have to agree with Lisa's (Gelidy) list of where to spend and where not to worry about it. I don't think a Crop-a-dile is a necessity -- I don't have one. You also don't need a circle/oval cutter -- a plate or something else will do without spending the money at all.

My horror story is that I bought dollar store adhesive (pop dots, specifically). As I go through the massive pile of LOs I have needing to be put into books, I am having to REDO every single LO where I used those pop dots. They do not stay adhesive. :-/

MissaOnTheRun
Mayor
MissaOnTheRun
In response to CMLeach

Thanks again everyone. I appreciate the advice.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda

I don't have a cropadile either. Don't see the need. My setting tools and hammer work great! And it's so much more fun!

I also would NEVER use glue sticks in my scrapbooks, regardless of the cost or brand.

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty

• CommaHolly Said:
I disagree that you don't need to buy brand name ribbon,,,,I've tried the cheap stuff, and it sucks hard to make a nice beautiful bow that drapes just so without pliable, soft ribbon,,,,,,

I buy Basic Basic at M's and it's SO much nicer than the WM stuff,,,,their satin ribbon is shiny on BOTH sides, rather than just one side and dull on the other,,,makes bows so much prettier,,,

even though it's twice the cost, I'm willing to pay it, and I buy BUNCHES of it when it goes on sale for 50% off,,,,,

I buy my ribbon at Hobby Lobby, it's usually 50% off too! They have awesome quality ribbons, here are a few.
Make A Wish Ice Cream card By Here Kitty

Girl By Here Kitty

Best Wishes By Here Kitty

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato
In response to Here Kitty

I think once you join the scrapbook world there are different definitions for the word "cheap" when it comes to paper, ribbon, etc.

To me "cheap" paper means; construction paper, oak tag, poster board, magazine pages, etc. "Cheap" ribbon includes that really inexpensive Christmas ribbon you use to wrap gifts, the ribbon they tie to balloons, etc.
But to a scrapbooking person "cheap" can refer to discount craft store materials as opposed to the high-end scrapbook companies. The scrapbook paper that's .25 cent Vs the scrapbook paper that's $1.25.

for the most part anything marketed for "scrapbooking" is OK to use...and sometimes you can find the exact same material elsewhere cheaper... BUT always read the label carefully. Stay away from the really cheap stationary/craft supplies. Example: Construction paper is NOT good for scrapbooking.

runzalot81
Mayor
runzalot81
In response to Gelidy Gelato

I don't have a crop a dile. I use a hammer. I poke holes with my pointy scissors for brads.

For me, "cheap" is Colorbok.

I used glue sticks. Until I noticed that my LOs were falling apart within months. I like Scotch's quick dry glue (liquid and hardcore) and 3L adhesive runners.

Diamond Events by Tiffany
In response to runzalot81

The glue stick thing is funny....I have used them since the 90's and so far my books are together, if I used a name brand like scotch, etc. (but using half a stick on a LO might have SOMETHING to do with that, too...LOL...I use a lot of glue, heavey hand) Now I have not looked at my really old book since I moved last march...so they could be falling apart as I type I have, however, changed to a glue runner and other types of adhesive in the last year because they make creating go a little faster.

Buy a good paper trimmer, and possibly a seperate one for photos. It might be my imagination but the one I use for paper, after awhile, makes my photos look fiberie on the edge. Fiscars is a great brand for any kind of cutter, trimmer, punch, etc. (even stick to them for cutting my ribbons and fabrics...and I use a dif pair of scissors for different materials...and get them sharpened at JoAnn or Hancocks when the "scissor man" is announced)

Buy good page protectors, too. I have found that in some albums, not all page protectors are created equal. Some books that might be really cute, but really cheap...have protectors that tear easiliy.

You do not have to spend a lot. You can get name brand items at Ross, Tuesday Morning, even BL. I have bought 7gypsies, Heidie Grace, Martha Stewart, Making Memories, Cloud Nine Design, Jenni Bowlin, etc at these places. And do not forget the "deal a Day" sites, they are a MUST for saving money.

HTH

Tiffany

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics