Username Post: Sticky Glue Problem        (Topic#1541661)
New Kid On the Block

Help!. I used a glue stick to stick some die cut words onto a page. I tried to be careful but the letters were very thin and I got some glue on the front surface in places. Even after drying overnight the letters are still tacky. Any suggestions on how to fix this would be much appreciated! I usually use the Pioneer double sided photo mounting tape for adhesive so I don't have to deal with glue, but these letters were much too thin for that.

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to sandrajane

My best advice is to ditch the glue stick, pronto. Over the course of several years, you may very well find that the items you used a glue stick on will come loose. About 80% of the papercrafters here have a lot of horror stories about glue sticks of every brand.

Instead, try a glue pen for those really thin letters.

debby_westbrook
Queen
debby_westbrook
In response to Here Kitty

Totally agree with Amy. A glue pen is the best to use. I also use tweezers to hold the letters when gluing them.

New Kid On the Block
In response to debby_westbrook

Thank you very much!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

yep, completely agree! However, now that it's done, have you tried rubbing gently with your fingers? I know I can sometimes roll off the glue that winds up where I don't want it,,,One of the reasons I love zip dry and ATG glue,,,

flutterbye0419
Diva
flutterbye0419
In response to CommaHolly

i have used:
tape runners-- not my favorite
cut down photo splits... again not an easy task
glue stick and i hate it
xyron it is a really nice effect but wastes so much of the sticker paper if you don't have enough to fill it out properly... i do like this option though..
glue pen and i hated that also. i had a hard time controlling the amount of glue that came out with it...

recently i found my favorite adhesive:

ALEEN'S ORIGINAL TACKY GLUE!!! i can control how much comes out. it comes with the top that gives a nice line of glue when squeezed. it doesn't warp the paper and dries perfectly clear. hope this helps!!! oh and it glues down those ribbons that i always have trouble with!!! love it!!
Products Referenced in This Post:

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to flutterbye0419

I like by Xyron. I found the trick is to take a stylus and run it around the letters after they go through the Xyron, then rub the letters as instructed, and peel and stick.

wilbur
wilbur 
Expert
wilbur
In response to Luvmyfam

• Luvmyfam Said:
I like by Xyron. I found the trick is to take a stylus and run it around the letters after they go through the Xyron, then rub the letters as instructed, and peel and stick.

Thanks for this tip! I will certainly try using a stylus around my letters after putting through my small xyron. I alway have "sticky" around the edges on my letters but remove it with a gum "type" eraser. You can buy these erasers in the art/drawing department at hobby. Someone told me the larger sized xyron doesn't leave the stickies all around, just that small one does that.

I wondered what I was going to do with that stylus! Thanks.

janeelizabeth
Expert
janeelizabeth
In response to wilbur

To get the stickiness off the letters, try rubbing gently with your finger, or, using an eraser gently in small areas at a time.

Peg364
Peg364 
Idol
Peg364
In response to janeelizabeth

There is a product that I can not think of at the moment that removes unwanted glue - I bought mine at Walmart- it was a blue stick that pointed at the end and almost had the feel of an eraser. It works pretty well with removing residue.

meezerpleaser
Idol
meezerpleaser

Run away from the glue stick! Run fast, run far! I use the Zig 2-way, like others here, or I run the letters through the Xyron X adhesive applicator. For small to very-small stuff I really like the Zig, but sometimes only the Xyron will do. For everything else, it's pop dots or -- my all-time favorite -- the ATG.

scraperfect
Pro
scraperfect
In response to meezerpleaser

I totally use The Best Glue Ever (Yes that's the name) for all sorts of tiny letters and embellishments-- even for itsy-bitsy gems and confetti the size you put on your fingernails!. The bottle has a very fine tip so you can use the tiniest bit--and you want to use the tiniest bit b/c it is very very tacky! Try not to actually squeeze the bottle or too much may come out. Just turn it up-side-down, kind of shake the glue to the tip, gently put pressure on the bottle (super light squeeze?) and it will come out perfectly. Use tiny dots or squiggles on your die cut letters. It will be plenty to hold it forever!

If you ever need to remove glue, what I use is Rubber Cement thinner--Heptane. Cheap and works great.

Here are three reviews...but you can google it and see what Debby Dares has to say and watch all the youtube videos about it on youtube.com/scraperfect or Debby Dares channel--like how to make your cricut mat sticky again, or how to make your own glue spots.

I love The Best Glue Ever! To be honest, I hated wet glues. When I used wet glues in the past, I was always a mess, the table was always a mess, and my projects always ended up a mess. I had a large number of die-cuts to put together and thought I would try The Best Glue Ever. The first thing I noticed was the tip to the bottle. I was able to really control the amount of glue I used. I could get a large amount if needed or a small tiny dot if needed. Of course I got interrupted and ended leaving the cap off. When I was finally able to come back to my project, I was surprised that the tip was not all clogged. I also liked the fact that this glue was very low odor and did not string. Over all The Best Glue Ever has changed my view of wet glues. I have added The Best Glue Ever to my scrapping bag.

Bridget Bruss Owner, Speedy Scrappers

Best Glue Ever is just what the name says: The Best Glue Ever!  I am continually amazed at the different applications for which this glue will work.  Everything from acrylic to paper to chipboard to felt, this glue holds it.  I love the fact that I can use it wet for permanent or let it dry a minute or so and it is repositionable!  I have yet to find a surface that is glue doesn't work fabulously on!  Thank you for such a great product.  I recommend it to all of my friends!

Mandie Dillard,
Graphic Designer, Retreat Host
Rusty Pickle Design Team, Two Chicks Design Team

There are so many glues on the market, and I have tested nearly all of them. It has been a long time since I have been this excited about a new glue.   The Best Glue Ever has a big name, but it definitely lives up to it.

Since trying The Best Glue Ever, it has become my go-to adhesive.  I cannot stop using it.

There is so much to love about this glue.  It is so easy to work with and clean up is a breeze.

I love its Herculean hold.  And I love that I can make it repositionable.  

The precision writing tip application is a dream. It is great for small embellishments and for writing too.

It is simply the Best Glue Ever for those fabric flowers that I love to create right now.  No annoying strings.  

The Best Glue Ever lives up to its name.  It IS the Best glue Ever.  

Sudie Alexander
aka The Glue Girl
Host of Unkit Live!

Tammy Sue
Expert
Tammy Sue
In response to scraperfect

There is a adhesive remover that looks like a big gum eraser that you can buy - I think I got mine at J's or M's in the adhesive section. You rub it over the glue part, and it picks it up. It takes some work, though. I usually give it to my daughter and have her work on it while watching tv or something if I've screwed it up.

For little letters, I use the Xyron or Scotch Quick Dry liquid glue. You can get a very thin line with the Scotch, and any overrun just dries clear and doesn't stay gummy.

cat_woman
Expert
cat_woman
In response to Tammy Sue

For small stuff I usually use my xyron. I also like Zip Dry glue (use one of those metal super fine glue tips you can buy). If you do get some overflow with the Zip Dry, it dries clear and then you can just roll it off with your fingers or use an adhesive eraser. For the little "boogers" from the xyron, I use the adhesiver eraser also. That thing is a God send.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics