Username Post: Distressing        (Topic#1556407)
kamilliken
Resident
kamilliken

Can someone please explain what distressing is and how to do it!!! Also, what are the best tools/brands/colors etc.

LeeLo
LeeLo 
Diva
LeeLo
  • LeeLo on 04-06-11 12:29 PM
In response to kamilliken

I'm sure someone on here can give you better tips than I can, but I'll do my best to start. I have just recently tried this technique.

Basically distressing is grunging up your papers, embellies, etc. You can use a distressing tool to rough up the edges of your papers, ink the edges, crumple papers, rip paper instead of neatly cutting it, etc. The ones I have used the most is using the distress ink around the edges of the papers and the tool to rough up the edges. I just take an ink pad and run it along the paper or take a sponge or other applicator and use that to smear ink around and things like that. I don't think I have any examples in my gallery yet, but you can click on the items I have listed below and there should be things linked from the gallery that the item was used on.

Hope that helps somewhat. I'm sure I've only touched on the tip of the iceburg with it. If you have any questions, just let me know and I will try to answer them.

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to LeeLo

Make sure you take advantage of all the resources already on sb.com as well - there are articles and tips in the Resource section.
Here is one that will help:
http://www.scrapbook.com/articles/doc/38677/18 1.html

Also, if you click on an item in the store, you can click the link that says "Watch videos that reference this product" and a lot of the time there are videos about them.

Tim Holtz's blog is another place for lots of inspiration and information.

Edited by Here Kitty on 04-07-11 06:47 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

ehammann
Veteran
ehammann
In response to kamilliken

All of the ladies have told you right... I like to use sandpaper or my D-Stress tool to give edges of items the distressed look. Ripping your paper is also another way to distress your pages.

I've listed some of my favorite distress items below.... have fun!!!

Smashley
Idol
Smashley
In response to ehammann

There are tons of different distress techniques. As the ladies in this thread already pointed out, sb.com is a great place to find vids and tutorials. I really like inking the edges of my papers, flowers, embellies. It gives them a burnt look without having to set anything on fire. Tim Holtz Distress Inks are a great tool because they are formulated specifically for distressing and they are reactive with water which can yield some fun results. I think you really just need to dive in and start playing around - have fun!!

OMGITSEMILY074
Guru
OMGITSEMILY074
In response to Smashley

tim holtz! is king at this

papermouse
Veteran
papermouse
In response to OMGITSEMILY074

I think inking is the best place to start with this - just grab a makeup sponge (or buy the Tim Holtz inking tool if you're so inclined) and a pad of Tim Holtz Distress Ink in Vintage Photo - I've found that it's by far the most versatile color to use, and boy to I use it on everything! Good luck!

JazzieLynne
Veteran
JazzieLynne
In response to papermouse

I LOVE distressing. My number one tool is the Making Memories distressing tool...it has really saved my fingernails. I agree with papermouse- inking is the best place to start...and Tim Holtz does have really nice colours. Best of luck, you'll get the hang of it.
Products Referenced in This Post:

Edited by JazzieLynne on 04-14-11 05:40 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics