Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: When I look through scrapbooking magazines        (Topic#1564919)
elizabeth97
Veteran
elizabeth97

I feel like my pages are so plain compared to what some women come up with. The pages in magazines are so artsy and I've never been very artsy. Does anyone else struggle with this?

RockStar
Queen
RockStar
In response to elizabeth97

No. But it's taken me a couple of years to find my own style and be happy with it. Once in a blue moon, I see a particular style of layout and want to try it just once, just to see if I can, and if I enjoy it, I'll incorporate it into my techniques. But for the most part, plain and simple is me.

sbartist
Governor
sbartist
In response to RockStar

I certainly don't struggle with it. I don't have desire to be published and keep track of every little thing I used (althouh I was published once in CKC). I do my own thing and the focus is ALWAYS on the PHOTO(S) first, then journaling if it needs it, then design.

Sherry C
Resident
Sherry C
In response to sbartist

Although I love to see all the different styles of scrapping, I never feel like my pages are "less than" others. For me (personally) I like the focus to be on my pics.

Expert
In response to Sherry C

I'm a plain and simple girl myself...I am impressed with the layouts here in the gallery, but that's not me.... I do 2 page layouts and try to make the photos pop. I have tried an idea or two..but always put my own spin on it. Like Ive seen written before..there is no wrong way to scrapbook, and your personal taste and design should go into every page. These are your memories!

Christine19850
Veteran
Christine19850

You don't know the circumstances of the ladies submitting their work. They may be on a design team or be having their products supplied to them so that they can demonstrate the versatility of a particular collection.

Scrap for YOU - use products that you enjoy using, experiment with techniques, and create something that you enjoy. Everyone's "style" will evolve over time - it's all part of the creative journey.

vanessa.S
Resident
vanessa.S
In response to Christine19850

When I first started scrap booking I too thought my lo's were to plain for my liking.So I took an advanced Christmas card class at Archiver's(I'm from Ohio too,so you probably have one near you)and learned how to heat emboss,dry emboss,distress,blend ink and more.Well I use all that stuff when I scrapbook now and I absolutely love my pages and I have fun making them.Hope that helps:)

SueLovesToScrap
Veteran
SueLovesToScrap
In response to vanessa.S

It's all about your own personal style. I like trying different ideas that I see in magazines or in the Gallery but that doesn't mean your own layouts have to be artsy. You just have to enjoy creating them!

scrappycanuck1
Resident
scrappycanuck1

Hi Elizabeth! I have totally struggled with this - especially when I first started out. The worst was when I would create a page that I felt really great about, and then I would see someone else's creation and think "oh." It still happens (depending on the day! ;)). One of the things I have noticed though is I often look at pieces of the layouts I am looking at instead of just the whole thing - a specific technique they used, or something I recognize for a page I have done. It pushes me to try new things.

But other than that, yup - I hear ya gal!

dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch
In response to scrappycanuck1

Take a little time and look through our gallery. You'll see all types of scrapbooking styles here. Some are so artistic that they take your breath away. And some are clean and simple and look absolutely amazing. I especially am drawn to the ones that make use of a lot of "white space" on their layouts. While I admire them all, I've decided I will never be as artistic as some - that's just not in my genes! As long as you create to the best of your ability and preserve memories for your family, you are a success! Always remember, someone in your family (or even here on this board) is going to look at your work and say, "Gee! I wish I could do that!"

scrappycanuck1
Resident
scrappycanuck1
In response to dwelch

Elizabeth, my husband showed me this video this afternoon and it reminded me of your post. I am not sure if it will resonate with you, but I thought I would post it just in case! Take a look!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbC4gqZGPSY

law
law 
Veteran
law
  • law on 10-10-11 01:01 PM

I think christine said it best, some things are handed out, if i was on a design team I'm sure I could do alot better lo's although I hear ya some of the posts are amazing, I love my pages because i did them. I've never taken a scrap class everything i've done i've taught myself by exparamenting. be proud of what you do,and don't be affraid of trying something diffrent. this sight is amazing because there are so many levels of talent. It surprises me sometimes when i post something Im really impressed with and i get 2 comments. but i'll post something i think is ok and it will get 20 comments everybody's talent,style,and views are diffrent and thats ok. took me a long time to feel that way.

dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch

• scrappycanuck1 Said:
Elizabeth, my husband showed me this video this afternoon and it reminded me of your post. I am not sure if it will resonate with you, but I thought I would post it just in case! Take a look!

Arrrrgh! I think I've gone blind. The message on that video is great, but I finally had to look away. Guess I must be sensitive to things that move too quickly or in random patterns like that. Certainly has a good point though. I never thought of the creative process quite like that.

Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 10-11-11 09:19 AM
In response to dwelch

Don't worry about other people's creations. If you like what you created...then, it is art too.
Have fun and don't sweat it. I'm not artsy either but sometimes I look at some of the LOs in the gallery and get ideas to enhance my simple LO.

Hope that helps.

kellyshoaf
Idol
kellyshoaf
In response to AK Teddy Bear

I try to take it as a challenge to get better and learn every new technique I can...and when I suck at it, I don't upload it!

madmatter
Diva
madmatter

• scrappycanuck1 Said:

love this ... thanks for sharing

tluvsscrappin
Expert
tluvsscrappin
In response to deedee49

I agree go with what u feel is right. And I heard that sayin also " there's no right or wrong to scrap". I luv lookin at all the beautiful los and i do learn from them, but im still just clean classic girl myself. The important thing is have fun.

Edited by tluvsscrappin on 10-14-11 04:20 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

scrappycanuck1
Resident
scrappycanuck1
In response to madmatter

I'm glad you liked it!!!

scrapsweet
Veteran
scrapsweet

Ditto to AK Teddy Bear and tluvsscrappin - if I teach a new scrapper only one thing is that the ONLY "right" way is YOUR way! Let me introduce you to Cathy Zielske - she's a scrapping "celebrity" and has published two books about her simple style, and she's famous for it. Check them out - Clean and Simple Scrapbooking and Clean and Simple Scrapbooking 2 - they are both currently on my Amazon wishlist! Even some layouts on this site that are in the category "clean and simple" are more artsy fartsy than they need to be. But that's the beauty of art and this hobby - there is NO wrong way to scrapbook, and don't ever let anyone make you think you should be scrapping in a way that doesn't make you happy!

Ok, I'll get off my soapbox now . ..

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

• scrappycanuck1 Said:

this is brilliant! Thank you for sharing and all I can say is,,,,,,,

YES YES YES! THIS! Nothing you make NOW is going to be perfect or exactly what you want,,,,,,you have an artistic heart,,,,,,it's going to take your hands a couple years to catch up with your heart!

that doesn't mean that you shouldn't enjoy what you do now,,,,,,just acknowledge that you'll be BETTER in 2 years,,,,,,,and that's ok

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics