Username Post: Getting good pics of your sb pages        (Topic#1565349)
Madding
New Kid On the Block
Madding

I see all these pics in the gallery, but I can't figure out how to take good pics of my pages. My scanner is only 9x11but my pages are all 12x12. I have a decent digital camera, but the photos don't do the page justice.

So how do you do it? What kind of lighting? What angle do you put the pages at? Do you zoom/crop the digital photos? Do you scan them in pieces?

It's just a little frustrating for me right now!

lisa_ohio
Tenant
lisa_ohio
In response to Madding

My pages did not come out clear either. I used a web cam to take pics of my pages. I will be interested to see what others use to get such clear pics.

Shutterbugg
Idol
Shutterbugg
In response to lisa_ohio

I've heard lots of ways people take their pictures. I know from experience it takes some playing around to figure out what works best for you. I put my camera on a tripod and do one of 2 things: either stand the layout up on my desk and shoot it straight on or I put it on the ground and aim the camera straight down and shoot it that way. I try to shoot in natural light but when that isn't possible, I shoot in my craft room which has a bright white light. My layout pictures are not perfect but they suit the need to photograph them.

kellyshoaf
Idol
kellyshoaf
In response to Shutterbugg

Hi Ladies--

I always lay mine on e floor in front of my sliding glass door and take a pic directly above them. I then enhance light, crop as needed in iPhoto. I remember being where you are now and thinking everyone must be. Prof photographer!!

ehammann
Veteran
ehammann
In response to kellyshoaf

I found a system that works great. I hang up a sheet (solid color, preferably dark) as my backdrop and leave some of it on the floor to set my layout on. ( I do this mostly on my kitchen counter really) I place my layout on the sheet against the rest of the sheet (this works really well if you do it against the wall so your layout can lean straight on something) so that I can take the picture. I do NOT use a flash, as natural light is best. You should always try to take pictures of your projects during the day when light is best. However, if the light still doesn't look the best, this is where Picnik comes in handy. I use it to edit and crop my photos close to the edges of the layout and adjust the lighting so that the layout looks as it should. Hope this helps.

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to Madding

I have a hard time getting the photo to be streight on. I don't have a tripod. I lay it on the edge of my desk and stand over it, to square it up as much as possible. I do not use a flash. I take 3 or 4 photos of each LO and keep the best one, crop it and it usually turns out ok.

Madding
New Kid On the Block
Madding
In response to CrimsonMama

Thanks for the tips! I have a tripod but I never would have thought to use it for this. I like the backdrop idea too, that would make it easier to crop in photoshop. I knew about natural light, even though it can be such a pain.

Again, thanks!

scrappycanuck1
Resident
scrappycanuck1
In response to Madding

I actually take poster tack and put a piece of white bristol board up on the wall. I then use the poster tack to put my layout on the wall and on the white paper (right at eye level). I then take a picture straight on! Easy!

tluvsscrappin
Expert
tluvsscrappin
In response to scrappycanuck1

I use my Hubby cell phone(it takes better pics than my phone). Take the memory card out of phone and load into my laptop. I sit my los on my sofa in the corner . My sofa is solid black is another reason i choose it. I tried on my table and other spots but i kept gettin glare on the los. Good luck!

scrapsweet
Veteran
scrapsweet
In response to tluvsscrappin

I'm not fancy - I put the page flat on my scrap table which is right by the window, so I try to do daytime with natural light. I turn the flash off and just try to center the page in the shot from straight above. I don't bother cropping, as I'm not looking to get published, just sharing my craft.

studiocbychelsea
Pro
studiocbychelsea
In response to scrapsweet

Thanks for some great ideas...i will have to use some of these

ellybug312
Veteran
ellybug312
In response to studiocbychelsea

I have the same exact trouble it is so hard to get pictures of ur pages that look right exp. ones that arent blurry and make the colors lighter!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics