Username Post: I'm SO NEW AND DID I SAY NEW        (Topic#1567583)
Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 12-05-11 05:41 PM

Hi Everyone...I am..I am...I am...so.so..so.overwhelmed..and...excited..and
grateful...and..new to scrapbooking..and I don't know what I want to do first...LOL...I keep changing my mind...I have read all the newcomer notes but I have to let my finances build up a bit as I have purchased for Christmas...anymore advice? Everyone is so nice!!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to mymimi2006

I've been out of it for about 3 months (out of the country) so now I'm home with tons to scrap and I'm very overwhelmed. Going to a crop on Saturday and need about 10 or 15 pages worked ready to glue and finish at the crop.

I got about 25 pictures out of my new granddaughter and don't know where to start.

I pulled out about 6 or 8 pieces of scrap 12 x 12 cardstock and put them edge to edge and put the pictures in order on the pages. That gave me some perspective - I was able to put 3 or 4 pictures I wanted on each page.

Now to gallery and pages of scrapbook magazines I've saved for ideas on how to arrange them. Then to select papers and embellies.

These aren't requiring journaling, as I don't know anything about them - just pictures of the day she was born and her mom holding her and my son holding her. Will probably put weight and lenght on them. Not sure how I want to do it until I look at ideas.

I have a sizeable stash so I should have everything I need until she is 12 years old at least!

Good luck with your pages. I have to have my picatures lying on a 12 x 12 to get the right size and porportions to start a new layout. Then when they are on the scrap white cardstock, then the colors and patters jump out at me when I see all the pictures I'm using on the page.

bbarthej
Veteran
bbarthej
In response to Henri Jean

Been there! And still feel overwhelmed sometimes after looking at other's beautiful layouts.
I'd say, start with something small... 6x6 album. Use 1 photo, add a couple of embellishments, journal... then go onto the next page. Before you know it you will have completed the book and will have a feel for what your style is and what you like.
Most importantly, try NOT to compare your work with others - you are your own person and you have your own style. (Of course, this is easier said than done! LOL) Just relax and have fun. It will all come together for you. Good Luck and Welcome!!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to bbarthej

Exactly! Your work is unique to you and can't be compared to others. In the gallery there are a lot of professional designers and you aren't being fair to yourself to compare your pages to theirs. I learned that.

I just go there for ideas and then simplify and customize them.

Small books are very very difficult for me. I don't know why, but they just are. I did an 8 x 8 and I struggled with it. One picture fit on a page there was too much page left over to embellish easily and I swore I was only doing 12 x 12's after that. It was the most difficult book I had ever done and I wasn't that pleased when I was through with it.

I have friends who do beautiful 8 x 8's but that just isn't me and I hate dong them. Like cards - absolutely hate making cards. I'd rather have a root canal.

But you may love cards and 8 x 8's, you just have to try to see what you like and don't like.

I was in a crop and the woman across from me was working on an 8 x 8 of her day at the zoo with her kids and it was absolutely awesome. She puts the smaller books in a basket on her coffee table and they are lovely. But I can't do them. I just get frustrated. I have to do 12 x 12's.

auntieant
Expert
auntieant

I love 12x12 album's. But I have done other sizes like 6x6's and 8x8's..

Like all the other ladies have said. Take it one step at a time.. You never know what you might be good at.. I love doing all things. I hope I get better at cardmaking and stamping. But you will never know what you LOVE until you start getting your feet wet. So have fun with it and let your creative juices flow.. Welcome to the site...

yelppuppy
Resident
yelppuppy

I'm very new too, just registered a few days ago.

I'm not as overwhelmed as other newcomers, as judged by their posts. I think it's because I know clearly what I care about, and why I scrapbook. I'm into photography, and i care about photos more than anything else in the world. I also work full time with a baby, so I can't spend more than a few hours a week on scrapbooking. So it's an easy decision to go for 12x12 and keep embellishments to a minimum, and let photos do the talking. It's also healthier for my wallet. That's how I arrived at my style and helped me budget the spending.

So, why do you want to scrapbook? How much time and $$$ do you have to invest? Do you have other hobbies or chores that will compete for the space and time needed to scrapbook? Hopefully those questions will help you narrow the options a bit.

I have to say though, my "minimalist" approach is being seriously challenged. The more I browse, the more embellishments I want to add!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to yelppuppy

Very good question. In fact it would be interesting to start a new topic with those questions - everyones answers would be very interesting.

Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 12-07-11 02:14 PM
In response to yelppuppy

• That, I know the answer to. I want to scrapbook to leave my children and grandchildren a kind of , shall we say, "photographic "legacy". Does that make sense? I want them to have something they can look back on and laugh, remember, laugh again, and pass on to each generation
  • I also want to scrapbook because it sounds and looks like it would be fun and therapeutic
  • I could also free up a lot of space with my photographs
  • I am a very simplistic kind of person, not too much, not too little, but just right, not taking over the photograph, but enhancing it so to speak
  • I definitely do not have a lot to put into scrapbooking; however our local Dollar Tree/WalMart has started carrying a lot of things acid free that meet requirements for a fraction of the cost. Also a friend has given me a few things she is not using.
  • I have my eye on a few albums and I coupon something crazy so I don't have to worry about that, I really just need to get through Christmas.
  • Thank you so much for the advice; it is valuable to me!!!

Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 12-07-11 02:19 PM

• Thank you so much for replying
  • Everyone here is so nice
  • I feel like I would be comfortable being simplistic
  • I don't want to take away from the picture but enhance
  • You're right, it is my pictures and my taste
  • I just have to keep telling myself that
  • I see all these tools and things and I'm like "what is that for?"
  • I am sure it would make my life a whole lot more simple
  • Thank you so much for helping me, I greatly appreciate it

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

you can also make a lot of embellishments. Punches can make flowers. There's a ton of tutorials on you-tube.

There are a ton of things in the dollar bin at Michaels that are great for newbies,,,,,I like the little gems.

buttons are cheap, and are also tons of fun, and provide depth and color. You can use them for the center of a flower or a few in the corner for interest.

stamps you can use over and over again are wonderful for newbies. So are border punches, and they are often on sale 40% off. You can change the whole look of a card or a LO by using different border punches.

Michaels and Joanns and Hobby Lobby offer coupons every week. Use them for larger purchases to save money.

good luck.

Qreate
Qreate 
Tenant
Qreate

WELCOME.

I agree that everyone here is very warm and welcoming...and you can really feel the community in here.

I'm with yelppuppy and mimi about being a minimalist/simplistic as I get overwhelmed (and intimidated) by all the loaded and gorgeous layouts. But as it's been said...start off small, put your own love and joy into it and the end result will be great. Creating something with your own style and personal touch for memories is what's important.

Also, SB.com has a great tutorials and lessons for newbies in their resources section.

Happy Scrappin'!

New Kid On the Block
In response to yelppuppy

I am new too although I purchased some items before we moved to Florida but then my husband became ill and he went to heaven. I am just now starting to live again and that means my animals and crafts. I have a dumb question. I have some of those un-mounted stamps and I don't know how to use them. Is there such a thing as a blank stamp that I could temporarily glue a stamp to so that I can use it and then remove it?
I also bought the binder to hold unmounted stamps by Tim Holtz but I can't find any refill pages. Can anyone help?
Thank you
Marcie
Products Referenced in This Post:

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to CanineCountry

• CanineCountry Said:
I am new too although I purchased some items before we moved to Florida but then my husband became ill and he went to heaven. I am just now starting to live again and that means my animals and crafts. I have a dumb question. I have some of those un-mounted stamps and I don't know how to use them. Is there such a thing as a blank stamp that I could temporarily glue a stamp to so that I can use it and then remove it?
I also bought the binder to hold unmounted stamps by Tim Holtz but I can't find any refill pages. Can anyone help?
Thank you
Marcie

Welcome.
So sorry about your loss.

Yes, you can get blocks for your unmounted stamps. Are yours acrylic or rubber?

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics