Username Post: Layout question please help!        (Topic#1567599)
mjhammersmith
Tenant
mjhammersmith

Hi!
I am new to scrapbooking and am self-taught. What is the "normal" way that people do layouts? Do you do a book with photographs and colors that match or "go with" the other pages in the book? Like using the paper kits and embellies where the entire "collection" is coordinated. Or, do you do a booklet with each page being a different layout? I see that the layouts in the gallery being only one layout, so I'm confused as to why only one is being shown. Did the artist(s) only do the one layout? Or are we being shown only one layout out of many that "go with" that particular one? This is what I'm thinking....I like to focus on one thing well, finish and go to the next project idea. I'm thinking a booklet that matches from page to page for myself, would bore me. By the 3rd page I'm going "okay, enough of this theme, color, feeling etc. On to the next project idea". What are your thoughts on this?

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to mjhammersmith

There are no rules. I rarely coordinate pages that face each other, much less the entire book. I have themed books and books about no specific theme, and as you'll see in the Hawaii album in my gallery, even that whole album across one very narrow theme of six days in Honolulu isn't very matchy and coordinated except in a couple two-page layouts.

I don't understand what you mean about the gallery, especially the part about "confused as to why only one is being shown". Not everyone goes to the effort of uploading every layout they do, or uploading every layout in a given album.

There are no rules. Do what you want. Anyone who would judge you negatively for that isn't worth listening to.

debby_westbrook
Queen
debby_westbrook
In response to aquabunny

I never scrapbook pictures or pages in order.... I just do what is fun for me for the day...

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to debby_westbrook

I try to coordinate the pages that face each other if it is a 2 page layout. However, if the two pages don't have anything to do with each other - different themes or subjects completely, I don't try to match or coordinate them.

I scrap chronologically - if I didn't I'd have stacks 6' tall of stuff I keep putting off. Some I enjoy more than others and I want it all scrapped so whatever is next - difficult or easy is next.

I saw one gorgeous wedding album someone did as a gift and there was a color theme throughout. The artists that did that book is awesome and she does not match her books throughout, although for the wedding book gift she did using particular colors.

The last thing I scrapped in my book were just some misc. pages, now I'm doing pages for my new granddaughter which will be very pink and very little girl. The next pages will be on Mexico and some will have a turtle theme, some a dolphin theme, some will be pictures from the airport. If it is a 2-page layout they will face each other and I will coordinate. But its a one page layout from Mexico, it will be unto itself.

There was a painting on an easel of Mona Lisa in front of one of the restaurants. A hole was cut out for the face (that was me) and one of those oval things that with the blobs of paint and a paint brush was a prop for someone to hold while painting the Mona Lisa - Bill pretended to be painting me. That is a once page layout. It will be in with the Mexico but I don't plan to make it match any of the other Mexico things.

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to Henri Jean

Like has been mentioned before, there are no rules. Just focus on what YOU want to do and what YOU think looks nice. That's the beauty of scrapbooking - it is what you make of it.

Personally, I don't like to do many double page layouts and I never worry about things matching. I'm confused by your initial post a bit too. When you say "layout" you seem to be referring to 2 pages. A layout is usually just referred to as one page. If there are two pages, it is a double layout. I don't scrap chronologically, and I just insert layouts into albums as I finish them.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to Here Kitty

I'm with Amy.

I think this may be a bit of semantics. Typically when someone says layout, I think that refers to one page. If you are doing two coordinating, it would be a "double layout" or "2-page layout."

Create things the way YOU would like them.

My scrapbooks are like fancy family photo albums. I do NOT create my pages chronologically, but I place them in the albums chronologically. I may have two facing pages that are entirely different (theme, design, and color). I may have a family vacation page next to a kid's birthday.

mjhammersmith
Tenant
mjhammersmith
In response to Bxr-Linda

I'm sorry if I have confused everyone. I do know that a layout is considered being one page, and that two layouts next to one another is a double layout. That I do know. My question is sometimes when I go through someone's album, it looks like a one theme, coordinated, same-color book. That's okay, I like the look of seamlessness. But, when I go onto the gallery photos and see artist's layouts, I thought to myself "Are there other layouts that "go with" or "match" this layout they did? I like doing one layout, then when I'm done, I enjoy starting another layout that may be completely opposite in color, feelings, them or whatever. I think doing an entire album with the same colors, feeling etc. would get old before I'm done.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 12-06-11 08:03 PM

Some people do matched pages for an album, some people don't. Sometimes there are one-off pages and sometimes there are several that are themed or matched in some way. It truly depends on what YOU want to do, and you can do literally anything. Also note that if you are going through online galleries such as the one here, there are many people who do LOs specifically because they are part of a design team for a company, or they are trying out for one, so the LO may have been created primarily around a product line and not for a 'traditional' reason such as remembering an event.

Edited by stick on 12-06-11 08:04 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Expert
In response to stick

This is just my preference, but I coordinate double page layouts. I only do double page layouts so I guess I feel they need to be cohesive. But that's just me.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to deedee49

I do double page Los for things like Christmas, Birthdays, trips etc...and I generally coordinate the papers etc..
If I'm doing a single LO for an emotion/feeling/journal type page for my son for instance, I just do whatever I feel at the time and I do not worry about matching pages in a whole book. I do one book per year for my son (and I'm way behind..LOL)
I scrapped a recipe book for my niece going away to university and I did coordinate the whole 8x8 book as I wanted a cohesive feel to it.
Alison

Imnoyz 
New Kid On the Block

I am so pleased you asked this question, I was wondering the same thing. I know what you mean about looking at one layout on the gallery is the rest of the book the same? I guess it is personal choice, I just try to make the two facing pages match.

yelppuppy
Resident
yelppuppy
In response to Imnoyz

I also wonder about that. My personal preference, since I'm doing a baby book, is to have the entire album coordinated. I use mainly blue, green and yellow, and simple/classic/clean style with no laces, flowers, distress, that type of thing.

I am curious what others do, but don't really care that much. I know I can't stand it if the album doesn't have a coherent style. I'd pick either color or style to be consistent. Like if you like the romantic style, don't drop in a modern, rigid layout with bright colors. I don't think scrapbooking is any different from interior design, graphics design or any design. But that's just me.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to yelppuppy

But I think that only matters (if it matters at all) if the album itself has a theme. I would never dream of trying to keep my everyday life albums, with the widest possible range of themes, in the same color or style throughout - they each span several years and I do them as I go and would hate to be stuck in the same colors or style or paper collection for two or three years at a time.

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to aquabunny

• aquabunny Said:
But I think that only matters (if it matters at all) if the album itself has a theme. I would never dream of trying to keep my everyday life albums, with the widest possible range of themes, in the same color or style throughout - they each span several years and I do them as I go and would hate to be stuck in the same colors or style or paper collection for two or three years at a time.

What she said

yelppuppy
Resident
yelppuppy
In response to aquabunny

That's very true. An album that spans over years, the variance and evolution of styles is part of the element to show case. It shows how your style and tastes have changed over time.

scraprabbit
Queen
scraprabbit
In response to yelppuppy

I think the only albums where I've coordinated the colors were in gift albums. One was a wedding album - so I used colors from their wedding. The other was grandparents' brag books that I just did this year for Christmas - I used kraft cardstock as a base for every page and used baby boy colors for the most part.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics