Page 1 of 4 
Username Post: do I need nesties?        (Topic#1573411)
jennkaun
Tenant
jennkaun

Hi,
So I've read a few threads about how lots of people love their nesties. I think I've figured out what they do, but if I already have a cricut do I really need nesties as well?
I'm still fairly new, so want to increase my tool collection, but I don't want to spend money needlessly (especially since I'm still paying back student loans)
I've seen the templates in the store here, but not the machine that goes with them, am I missing something?

Really need some insight on this one before I buy anything!

siameseplease
Angel
siameseplease
In response to jennkaun

Hmmmm....well, I can't help with whether or not your Cricut can do the same thing, as I don't have one.

However, to use Nesties, you do need a machine. You can use the regular nesties in a cuttlebug, Sizzix (original, big kick or big shot), or the Spellbinders Grand Calibur. The Grand Nesties that cut really big shapes can only be used in the Grand Calibur, though. I think it's the only machine big enough to fit them. If you don't need to cut really big shapes and would prefer the regular nesties, then I'd just use a coupon and get a cuttlebug or sizzix machine.

That being said, before buying them at all, I'd scrap for a while. As you are making layouts, you'll find yourself thinking, "man, I wish I could do (this) or have (that)". Then start a list for yourself. Over time, you'll see what items on your list that you keep referring back to and wishing you had. Go from there with future purchases.

Hope this helps! Welcome to sb.com!

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to jennkaun

Several machines will cut Spellbinders dies - I've linked some of them below.

First off, the Spellbinders dies are different in that they will emboss as well as cut. With a Cricut, you only get the die cut, but with a Spellbinders die, you can also emboss it. If you click on the products, you can also find videos, etc that explain them. The Spellbinders website is also very helpful.

If you look at the picture below, you can see how I embossed the die cuts (crown, decorative circle and die cut behind it).
Little Girl By Here Kitty

You can also use the die itself as a mask and ink/chalk/spray over it to create a die cut like the pink/white one on this card below - the same technique was used on the card above (yellow portion)
Gratitude By Here Kitty
Products Referenced in This Post:

kellyshoaf
Idol
kellyshoaf
In response to Here Kitty

Even though I have a cricut (and actually just bought the new mini), I LOVE the simplicity of the cuttlebug and know people REALLY love the nesties. it takes no time to set up, you don't have to figure out the right size/cut on the mat--less time and guess work. I say go for it. I got my cuttlebug with one of the 50% coupons ac moore gives out every few months.

disneylisa
Mayor
disneylisa
In response to kellyshoaf

It really depends on if you want to start investing the money and if you'd make good use of them. I personally bought my first major tool - a Craft Robo (electronic die cutter that uses computer programming rather then cartridges so you can do any shape/size) after scrapping for nearly 5 years. While I love that machine, a year later I bought a cuttlebug so I could use embossing folders. And then I started branching out into nesties. Although I could make mats using my CraftRobo I find myself using the nesties more often, even if I am a bit limited in size, just because as Kelly mentioned, its easier and faster then using the Robo, plus I like the added effect of the embossed part. I'm still absolutely glad that I have both tools, but the cuttlebug and nesties have ended up costing me more then the electronic die cutter so be prepared and be sure its something you'd use.

Expert
In response to disneylisa

I like my nesties cause they can emboss. I have a cricut too, but I find it easier to use the nesties. I usually have to cut with my cricut 2-3 times before I get just the right size. I can usually find a nestie that will just be perfect.

So..in answer to your question....IMHO....You need nesties...

leslief
Idol
leslief
In response to deedee49

• deedee49 Said:
I like my nesties cause they can emboss. I have a cricut too, but I find it easier to use the nesties. I usually have to cut with my cricut 2-3 times before I get just the right size. I can usually find a nestie that will just be perfect.

So..in answer to your question....IMHO....You need nesties...

Yup! Same with me-- I've had a Cricut for 3 years; got my Big Shot a year ago. I use my Big Shot, Nesties, and Cuttlebug folders more than anything now (especially, since I started making cards).
Just don't pay full price-- can get them lots of places 50%-40% off.

Just G
Just G 
Queen
Just G
In response to leslief

I have a cricut expression and desperately want a big kick or grand calibur and nesties....I like the ability to cut AND emboss at the same time. You cant do that with the cricut

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to Just G

No, you don't "need" them. I have a Sizzix Big Shot and I love manual die-cutting, but I've gotten along just fine for years without the Nesties. I do have the Sprightly Sprockets Shapeabilities set, but I got them because of the gear shapes, not because of the branding or type of die.

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to aquabunny

whatever you do, don't let Holly answer this question

she has converted all of us into a bunch of nestie addicts drooling over the newest shapes

I am an admitted addict and now have over 20 sets of them, even though I have a Cricut, and probably can do everything I do with a nestie with it (except the embossing).

They are very convenient, easy to use, easy to store, and very, very pretty

so you need them? of course not ... do you want them? absolutely

Ohio4HMom
Expert
Ohio4HMom
In response to madmatter

• madmatter Said:
whatever you do, don't let Holly answer this question

she has converted all of us into a bunch of nestie addicts drooling over the newest shapes

I am an admitted addict and now have over 20 sets of them, even though I have a Cricut, and probably can do everything I do with a nestie with it (except the embossing).

They are very convenient, easy to use, easy to store, and very, very pretty

so you need them? of course not ... do you want them? absolutely

I was gonna say don't ask Holly!

miniscraper
Idol
miniscraper
In response to Ohio4HMom

Holly got me hooked!!!! Bad Holly Bad.....lol

scrappyjae
Tenant
scrappyjae
In response to miniscraper

Yep....another one that Holly converted. I have gone nuts with getting the nesties, all on sale or with a coupon though. I can't afford to get them without. They are awesome. I got the Sizzix Big Shot, on sale at $59.99 with free shipping from J's. Best deal I saw as they don't sell those machines in any of the stores near me. I love it! I have the Cricut, but found that I am not using it that much and the cartridges aren't that cheap, even on sale. With the nesties, you can use a M's coupon for 50% of and get them for around $13 or $16. I use my children to help take advantage of the 50% off, so I can get a couple at a time. Yep, it's all Holly's fault. If she didn't have such great looking cards using the nesties I would have been saved.

Ohio4HMom
Expert
Ohio4HMom
In response to scrappyjae

I have the original sizzix, I REALLY want a big shot but figure I can do it old school I guess if it means I can buy the nesties

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to Ohio4HMom

Why is it always HOLLY'S fault??????????

As someone mentioned,,,,,,,,you don't NEED nesties,,,,,,but you may WANT them very badly,,,,,

they cut shapes that can be very intricate,,,,are wonderful for layering, matting, and can be used as a stencil to ink through,,,,,,,

I love love LOVE layering them! They just look SO gorgeous!

Hello from the heart By CommaHolly

Home sick cards By CommaHolly

they even have rolled flowers that are gorgeous and simple to make,,,,,like these!

different view By CommaHolly

(that rectangle shaped box they are sitting on is a nestie too! Romantic REctangles)

beware,,,,,once you buy a few sets,,,,you'll be hooked,,,,,,,buy them with a coupon or on the bid site,,,,,,I rarely spend more than 15 dollars for a set, and often as little as 7 bucks for a set on there.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to CommaHolly

Oh, and if you DO want them,,,,,,I suggest one set at a time, pace yourself, and know you will NEVER "catch up",,,,,every time I turn around, they come out with another pretty one,,,,I have at least a dozen on my want list NOW, and I have over 50 sets. So don't spend more than you can afford, buy cheap when you can, and know that if you don't get that one set on the bid site, there will be another. And don't poo poo USED sets on the bid site,,,,,,you can sometimes get an especially good price for a used set, and they will still work just as nicely,,,,,,,just make sure all the dies in the set are present before bidding.

slow and steady wins the race!

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222

Wow Holly those are GORGEOUS cards!!!

I have not one set of nesties, but it seems I really might need them!! Now I understand how you might be to blame for the addiction

Are those intricate shapes hard to remove from the die once cut?

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to Kim222

Not if you use a trick

put wax paper between the die and the paper, then cut AND emboss,,,,,,,,

and your intricate die cut pops right out!

without wax paper, some of them are a NIGHTMARE!

And thank you for the compliment!

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222

Wax paper!! BRILLIANT!!
Are you on commission because I just ordered a few
Is there anything extra I need for the embossing part? I have a big shot.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to Kim222

Oh how I wish I was commission on spellbinders instead of commission on travel (I'm a travel agent! Guess that means I know how to sell a product )

None of those will be hard to get out of the dies,,,,,,well, maybe the butterfly you'll need to use wax paper, I don't have that one, so I'm not sure,,,,,the rest will be fine.

Love the labels 18 and I have the 2010 version of those ornaments,,,,I want those though

Like I said, I have a dozen on my want list

Page 1 of 4 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics