Username Post: Beginning my scrapbook.        (Topic#1573595)
New Kid On the Block

I'm beginning to make a scrapbook for my grandparents, but I'm not sure where to start.
I've got embellishments and I'm waiting on paper and the album to arrive.
I've decided on what pictures I would like on each page and I have my ideas written down, but I dont want to mess it up as i want it to be near perfect for them.
Any ideas on steps i need to take or things i should have while doing the scrapbook.
Thanks

Veteran
In response to sarah.mcmaster

That's such a lovely idea. Why don't you try going to Page maps and find different sketches for your LO's? I'm not that creative, so I generally follow a sketch.....making my own changes as I see fit.
All the best

Lamoo12
Governor
Lamoo12
In response to Noelles mom

It sounds like you have everything under control. the only reason it won't be perfect is if you over criticize yourself. relax, have fun and they will love it.

theellenbee
Pro
theellenbee
In response to Lamoo12

When I am starting a scrapbook my first page is always the hardest. Every time I lay everything down and then take a break. Sometimes I even wait until the next day. It helps to take a second look with fresh eyes. The funny thing is that almost always there is just one or two things that need moving or removing or adding. Then I glue it down and go on to the next page which inevitably is easier! Good luck and have fun!

kellyshoaf
Idol
kellyshoaf
In response to theellenbee

Sounds like a great project--I did a book for my Gram's 100th birthday last year and had a challenging time with it. Have you tried to do any categorizing of the photos? I started with her wedding photos and worked my way out from there...I had a friends section, baby section and then did some just in chrono order. I also tried to include some of her letters/handwriting for the journaling.

If you get super nervous about "messing up" a pic (as I did),!scan and make a copy, so you can relax a bit if you mess it up.

Good luck and happy scrapping! I know they will LOVE it!

jaspernonyx
Pro
jaspernonyx
In response to kellyshoaf

I did a scrapbook for my grandma. I started with her father coming over from Norway when he was 17 and by himself (makes a great story). The title of the album was "Our family in America--how it all started." Since all Americans are immigrants, I think that your family's arrival in America is a good place to start.

Just have fun! Your grandparents will love this gift, and it may become a family heirloom.

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr
In response to jaspernonyx

I did an 8x8" album for my mother. One thing I did was scan the original photos and make them into the size I wanted and adjusted a few of them since they had faded over the years. I was also able to zoom in on the people a little to see their faces better. I also added some blank journaling blocks so that my mother could write in her own beautiful handwriting a little about her life and the people she loved. I know it will be something to cherish for generations. Good luck on your project. I'm sure your grandparents will LOVE it!!

LesleyC
Diva
LesleyC
In response to Noelles mom

• Noelles mom Said:
That's such a lovely idea. Why don't you try going to Page maps and find different sketches for your LO's? I'm not that creative, so I generally follow a sketch.....making my own changes as I see fit.
All the best

This.

I was really stuck st first, but found once I had a basic sketch to work from, it made things a whole lot easier. scrapbooks etc. Magazine also has some great sketches on their website. I use those a lot.

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr
In response to LesleyC

I love working off of a sketch! I agree, that's a great idea.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics