Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: How many scrapbooks?        (Topic#1580289)
New Kid On the Block

I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions on how I should separate my scrapbooks? I have 3'children and can't figure out the best way to do them... Should I do a separate one for each of them with their own holidays and family stuff? Or just compile all together? My first has his own scrapbook done until age 3... He's 6 now.... My mom thinks when they get older and I'm gone they will want their own memory book... Any ideas? How have you all done yours?

res19s2d
Resident
res19s2d
In response to Purseaholic2010

I have 3 kids with individual books- birth thru school years
I have my holidays-grouped together in order of year and I just scrap all holiday pics in these books (Christmas, Easter, and such)
I also have individual sport albums.

I have know idea if this helps but I'm curious to see how others separate their books(:

rebeccakeppel
Idol
rebeccakeppel

I only have 2 kids so it is a bit easier. but I do one for each kid, ongoing. Then I have a friends/family one ongoing (any layouts with both of them and about both of them or with other friends and family go in there). I know some people say they are going to fight over the family albums, but I figure since I have a series of albums for each of them, it is up to them to break up the other albums themselves

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to rebeccakeppel

My mom scrapbooks. She has five of us, all adults (she's going back and doing some of our childhood stuff), and I believe the plan is for us kids to fight it out amongst ourselves (except for the genealogy albums - I'll get the ones for my dad's family, my oldest brother gets the ones for my mom's family, and ultimately I end up with all of them).

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to aquabunny

I have ONE (well, several)... continuous scrapbook.

It's basically the family photo album. I keep ALL my pages in them.

When I'm dead, my kids can fight over them (or not ).

Doing individual books for each kid just seems WAY TOO complicated. What do you do when you have a cute photo with both kids in it? Create duplicate layouts? Too much for me.

mrsdriver5
Idol
mrsdriver5

This is one of the many projects on my to-do list. I have 4 kids/5 grandkids. I'll start with my kids. I want to make each their own book, but maybe at the end of each year, have a page or two of collage-type, multi-kid LOs, so they at least have some pictures of their siblings at the various ages.

If they have their own Christmas picture, I may use that same picture in a family Christmas album. No rule against using the same picture more than once and I have so many pictures, no one is going to remember that one was already used. I print a lot of my own pictures at home, so I do special sizing so I can add small pictures along with the normal sized ones. I might put a regular sized pic in their own album, but put a smaller size in a specialty album. There are other threads telling about how to get various sizes printed at photo places.

I'll also take pictures of all the LOs and put those onto a DVD so each of my kids can have a digi album of their sibs. For now, I'm planning to keep the albums myself and they can have them when I die, but I may change my mind when I no longer have a place to keep all my albums lol A DVD doesn't take as much space!

Now, I need to get off this forum, quit shopping, and go start a Kid Album :>) ~Judy

mrsdriver5
Idol
mrsdriver5

Purseaholic...you're not my 16-yr. old granddaughter in disguise, are you? Just going by the name Her mantra...Never too many purses; never a purse that's too big. ~Judy

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to mrsdriver5

I also scrapbook chronologically and have one book of our first granddaughter. Now the second is due in February (this one in California) and I don't want to do another scrapbook. Since I scrap chronologically, I'm thinking about merging everything in order. I'm just totally baffled how to do it.

I'm sure what I will eventually do is print out the ones with our first granddaughter in a nice hardbound book for her someday - also print one out for the next grandchild with their pages and other pages I think they might like.

Then the originals are kept in chronological order in the big set of scrapbooks and each child will have a professionally bound book of their pages and pictures.

My oldest wants the scrapbooks so he will get all the hardcover ones but I will also do a book of their wedding layouts and pictures of them over the years.

Will go thorugh and pick out the ones with my other son and put those pages in his book.

Don't know who to go to have it printed. I think Creative Memories does them (Liz?) and Snapfish and other companies may do the books.

I'm just not going to do pages twice if two of the grandchildren are in them. Those will be in each of their printed books.

One of my best friends' daughter will get all my scrappy tools and supplies.

New Kid On the Block
In response to Henri Jean

Thanks for the responses! I think I will do one for each and then a family & friends (all ongoing)... May take some time, but worth it the end I think :c) And Mrsdriver5, yes I love purses too...I sell them Thanks again for all suggestions!

thehappyscrapper8
Veteran
thehappyscrapper8

I have two kids and they each get an album that I fill up and make them a new one when the album has filled up. There albums consist of their birthdays and extracurricular activities they do such as football or dance. I do a family album which is really just a yearly album that has everything that we did as the family for that year. I find that this is the easisest way for me since I have two kids and work full time :). I did a whole blog post on my blog that goes into more detail about how I do my albums.

Lunareclipse
Veteran
Lunareclipse
In response to thehappyscrapper8

I'm new but my scrapbook is in no particular order. It's a mishmash of everything. I suppose our little people will have to decide who gets what later on.

Judy_Scraps
Mayor
Judy_Scraps
In response to Bxr-Linda

• Bxr-Linda Said:

Doing individual books for each kid just seems WAY TOO complicated. What do you do when you have a cute photo with both kids in it? Create duplicate layouts?

Yes, at least that's what I did when my kids were younger. My albums are chronological and I made one for each child.

My kids are teenagers now so my scrapping has gotten less complicated. My son is 17 and has no interest in having a scrapbook. He lives in a digital world and prefers to have his pics on file rather than in a book (and fancy pages with lots of froo froo was never his thing). That's ok with me. It saves me from doing duplicate pages.

My daughter is 14 and has been scrapping her own pages for a couple of years. She still wants me to do her dance pics but that's only a few pages a year. I'm at the stage where I'm mainly scrapping just for me, which suits me just fine. After 14 years of scrapping, I don't mind doing it at a slower pace.

lstory 
Mayor
In response to Judy_Scraps

I'm with Bxr-Linda. My scrapping (not that I've done many pages lately - just cards) is all for me! I have one long ongoing series of relatively chronological scrapbooks. They feature my two school-age kids and anything else that catches my eye. If I had to stay within guidelines or worry about pages in a one-for-him, one-for-her fashion, it would suck the joy out of this hobby. As it is, I'm so frazzled by how behind I am that I haven't scrapped in months. Next month's weekend crop should help! Anyhow, as others have said, my kids can divvy up the scrapbooks after I'm gone.

Lisa

Lamoo12
Governor
Lamoo12
In response to lstory

i have 2 kids. i have a book for each of them and a general family book. if we do something with a lot of pics, like a trip, that goes into it's own book with a few 'good' photos in the other albums.

Diva
In response to Lamoo12

I scrapbook almost everything! Love to do scrapbooking. Three adult young daughters and two grandson. Everyone is getting a scrapbook for Christmas!

MiaFrancis
Resident
MiaFrancis
In response to bayamonesa1

I have only one child for now, so it is making it really easy, but I would do for each their own and then family albums for all holidays and times when you all are together. =)

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to MiaFrancis

I started a scrapbook for our first grandchild. Now the first is a year and another grandchild is due (on the other coast) in February. I am not keeping up a scrapbook for each grandchild! No way - now how!

I am taking the first grandchild's scrapbook apart and merging them into our family chronological scrapbook.

I'll scan and make each of them a book some day but it will be in printed form.

GMFTS
GMFTS 
Mayor
GMFTS
  • GMFTS on 09-05-12 01:02 PM
In response to Henri Jean

I am working on my two adult children's childhood albums - my dd got hers already and I add pages when I do them. Started ds' earlier this summer so he doesn't have his yet but it will work the same way.
Everything else - well I can only hope someone will want them and maybe even more than one person but what the heck I won't be here so it isn't for me to worry about.

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to GMFTS

I have 3 kids and do family albums ... I figure they can fight it out after I'm dead ...

that being said, when each of my kids became Bar/Bat Mitzvah (at 13), I made them an album of their life up to that point, which means that yes, despite my best intentions, some pics wound up being scrapped four separate times (in the family album and then in each of their albums)

Diva
In response to madmatter

I do a scrapbook for each of my daughters and now for my two grandsons.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics