Username Post: Going digital...        (Topic#1583497)
tricia07
Guru
tricia07

Going from paper to digital... Any advice on software for Mac, printers etc would be greatly appreciated!!

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 12-26-12 06:31 PM
In response to tricia07

Photoshop Elements I print most everything at CostCo, great quality and good prices, especially considering I generally only print a few things at a time. I'd like a wide-format printer but they are just too danged big, there's no way I could make room for it in my apartment, and I thought long and hard about it trying to make it work. But if you're in the market, Epson has a couple for a decent price.

charK
charK 
Mayor
charK
  • charK on 12-26-12 08:00 PM
In response to stick

I use MemoryMixer from lasting Impressions. It is very easy. I also have photoshop elements but hate it. I also upload to Costco for printing.

tricia07
Guru
tricia07
In response to stick

Will have to do some research on Photoshop Elements and MemoryMixer.

How do they "pages" work...like the paper packages you purchase? See I am lost lol...I am used to buying the real paper layout packets...how do the digital ones work?

So Costco prints 12x12? That's awesome to know...although I do really want a printer. I just sold my Cricut and am now about to sell my 40 cartridges and other accessories...hoping to make enough money for the software, accessories and maybe a printer ;-)

Thanks guys...any more help to get me started would be awesome!

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 12-27-12 01:12 PM
In response to tricia07

You can download a 30-day trial of Photoshop Elements. It definitely has a learning curve, it's very powerful, but don't be scared of it. There are tons of tutorials if you need that sort of thing, or borrow a book from the library, or just play around with it.

I like it because it's not just a "scrapbook" application. I probably use PSE on every single LO I do - both digital and traditional paper scrapping. I edit all of my photos in it even when I print them to do paper scrapping. I use it to create titles and word art and journalling that I print for my paper scrapping. I've altered images and printed them to create my own stickers. I also use it to clean up images that I want to turn into cutting files for my Gazelle die-cut machine. I use it to alter and resize digital stamps that I print for coloring. Really - I can't imagine crafting without it!

And then download some of the freebie kits to play with - you can find links to a lot on digiscrapdepot .com or just google for free kits, and most of the digi shops have free downloads as well. Purchased kits are often nicer (bigger and better designed), but there are lots of great freebies.

tricia07
Guru
tricia07
In response to stick

I used to use photoshop a ton but it's been years so I would need a tutorial lol. Is it similar to the MemoryMixer?

Do you like the Gazelle? I was wondering if I would still need a computer based cutting machine for digital scrapbooking...I think I would like to have one even if not because I like to cut vinyl out. I have a Mac and was thinking of the Silhouette...but not sure?

I will download the free trial and look for the free kits. Thank you so very much...excited to do this because I am SLOW at paper scrapbooking because I am tedious so I am hoping this will make things go a lot faster lol!

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 12-27-12 02:54 PM
In response to tricia07

I love my Gazelle! I believe it is Mac compatible but I'm not 100% certain. If you're 100% digi then it's probably not something you need, but I do probably 60% paper scrapping and 40% digital scrapping - they're both just so fun I don't want to give either one up.

I do a lot of "hybrid" scrapping, too - e.g., I enlarge photos to 12x12 and print it at CostCo, then use it as the background for a paper-scrapped page. Digital altering of photos and other images that I print and further embellish. Etc. Too many fun techniques out there to limit myself to a certain set

tricia07
Guru
tricia07
In response to stick

Will have to look into the Gazelle as well as the silhouette! I would scrap the cutter altogether but I do like to do vinyl and for kids projects I think it's great to have! But I def want a computer based one because the cricut was just too much of a pain and cartridges are expensive. Can't wait to get all of those sold!

Thank you so very much for helping me!!!! So excited :-)

tricia07
Guru
tricia07
In response to tricia07

Thanks again for the advice! I purchased MemoryMixer and PSE! Can't wait to get started! :-)

Mary Fran
Expert
Mary Fran
In response to tricia07

I agree with lots of the other posts in choosing Photoshop Elements as your program of choice. Since you have used it before, it won't take you long to pick it up again, and the best part is that you can "grow" with the program's features.

I would suggest an Epson printer. Their ink, reliability and print quality are very good. I've been using them for years and am on only my 2nd one.

Good luck to you!!

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato
In response to tricia07

as you start to collect digital scrapbooking supplies you will also need a way to organize them. It doesn't hurt to start thinkng about how you want to store them and if you want to use a program to help you find things easier. I use Bridge. It comes with PhotoshopCS but I don't now if it comes with Photoshop elements.
I store my digital files in folders like "alphabets" "embellishments" "papers", etc. often containing folders within folders. Then I open Bridge which display thumbnails. I just click on the thumbnail and it opens in photoshop. I like bridge because I can open my folder with my photos and then open a second bridge window of my papers and even a third bridge window of my pages. Then I can just switch between the windows. So instead of trying to find something using the open function in photoshop I have use Bridge.
AND...I can't say it enough. BACK UP your files, Then BACK UP your files, then BACK UP your files again.
and while you work, SAVE, SAVE, SAVE. There are so many reasons why photoshop and your computer can just up and close on you. Plan on it happening and SAVE often.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics