Page 1 of 5 
Username Post: ANOTHER Credit card/ID theft        (Topic#1550289)
Scrapsaholic
Mayor
Scrapsaholic

Okay, I received a package in the mail today addressed to my boyfriend. Inside the package was 3 shirts that said "I am bowling" and 2 bumper stickers that said "Don't text and drive". It was from a company I never heard of. I'm thinking WTH is this?? He knows nothing about it of course so I google and call the company. They said that it was ordered and paid for. Gave me the name, address, cell #, and credit card info used. It ALL belonged to my boyfriend. So I get online and look at his credit card activity. In the last week, there has been over $800 charged from places we never heard of. Obviously he is taking care of this but I'm blown away. Not only is it extremely scary but WHY would anyone who stole your identity have something shipped to YOUR house? That is so strange. That's like screaming "I just used your credit card, now come find me." Seriously, what on earth???

And what really has me confused is how his cell # was used. He just got the # not too long ago and very few people have it. And it's not associated with any credit cards, banks, payments, anything. Weird.

Edited by Scrapsaholic on 01-10-11 03:41 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

charleyhz2boys
Diva
charleyhz2boys
In response to Scrapsaholic

Awww....man....that is kind of creepy...

So sorry that happened to you guys...hopefully the credit card company will take all that off without a problem...

Scrapsaholic
Mayor
Scrapsaholic
In response to charleyhz2boys

Yeah, I'm sure they will. He has to call them when he gets home and fill out dispute papers, etc. Also change his acct #. I told him he needs to call all 3 credit bureau's and put an alert on his acct too. What a pain. It's just creepy to know that anyone can do anything to you without you even knowing. Thank God the package showed up or we may not have even noticed this going on for awhile.

3MiniSchnauzers
Idol
3MiniSchnauzers

I had my credit card copied years ago. I'm talking about the 1990's. They charged over 5k in gas and cash advances. I didn't have to pay anything. What was scary is I had my card. So I think that someone, somehow copied it at a store I shopped at.

3MiniSchnauzers
Idol
3MiniSchnauzers
In response to 3MiniSchnauzers

Did he recently get a new cell phone and purchased it with that CC?

Oh and after that ordeal,I had a password put on all three credit reports. If anyone (even me) applies for any kind of credit, a password has to be given before anything is approved.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda

There are all kinds of ways that thieves get credit card numbers, etc.

I think it's a little funny that someone would order something with his credit card, and have it shipped to his address. I guess thieves are not too smart.

Trina_P
Guru
Trina_P

When he calls the credit bureaus, have him put a thing on his records that will force them to call him personally on his telephone before any loans and certain big ticket transactions can be cleared. Any time a place, such as a car dealership or anyone running a credit check on him (or someone claiming to be him) they have to call.

I have been thru the identity theft thing and it is a pain to get things worked out.

950nancy
Diva
950nancy
In response to Trina_P

Who orders an I am bowling shirt? Not knocking bowling, but announcing it seems odd.

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore
In response to 950nancy

we had stuff shipped to our house by someone who stole my DH's card. Don't know how they got it, they even had the number on the back. He NEVER EVER orders ANYTHING online. I'm the online shopper and have never had my card or anything stolen. BUT I watch my card like a hawk. I check it every other day.

Prettylolo
Queen
Prettylolo
In response to Seaexplore

oh dang, mandy, that's horrible and creepy.

it's almost like an "in your face" type of shipment. like....hahahaha....i just got a ton of stuff and so i'm sending you this....

Just G
Just G 
Queen
Just G
In response to Prettylolo

thats very creepy. Before my mom died her caretaker stole her CC and charged over $2000 in one day

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to Just G

Eeks! This happened to me last year. The thief had my cc number, the crv number, my cell number, and my home address. The amount of info they had was scary.

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to Luvmyfam

so you steal someone's cc and order 2 bowling t-shirts and 3 bumper stickers?????

I don't mean to make light of the situation your bf is in Mandy, but that is very odd behavior

Scrapsaholic
Mayor
Scrapsaholic
In response to madmatter

No kidding, that is odd! There was a total of 7 transactions totaling almost $800, 3 of them are pending from this morning. So far, I know they purchased bowling t-shirts, bumper stickers, internet security software, and some kind of weight loss supplement. I'm not sure what the other items were yet.

As far as his cell phone #...his line was added to MY account and paid for by my debit card. So I have no clue how anyone got that.

Scrapsaholic
Mayor
Scrapsaholic

Here is the bowling t-shirt. We got 3 of these.

Here is the bumper sticker. We got 2 of these.

Scrapsaholic
Mayor
Scrapsaholic
In response to 950nancy

• 950nancy Said:
Who orders an I am bowling shirt? Not knocking bowling, but announcing it seems odd.

If the shirts had said "I am taking a dump", I would have assumed he did order them and not thought anything of it!

charleyhz2boys
Diva
charleyhz2boys

same with my dh....ha!!!!

charleyhz2boys
Diva
charleyhz2boys

Lol...took at peek are your wonderful new merchandise....ok...sorry but the shirts are awful and...

the thief is being all moral and advertising not texting and driving but its ok to steal someone's identity and credit card?

Edited by charleyhz2boys on 01-07-11 06:21 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato

It sounds like someone playing pranks
but sometimes these earlier, smaller purchases are the thieves testing out the system to see if you are paying attention to your charges and the accessibility of your mailbox (where delivered packages go). They may have intended to intercept the package but for whatever reason couldn't.

It reminds me of that guy that was having his drug related packages delivered to his neighbor's house. He would just go get them out of their mailbox before they got home.

Do you have a secure mailbox? If yes, any chance there are other keys out there? I had a calling card stolen from a locked mailbox. The thief activated it themselves, created their own pin number, and changed the mailing address. It was weeks before the telephone company and I figured out what had happened. The bill was over $800 by that time.

If you don't already have a shredder I would recommend getting one. I shred everything. Some piece of mail/bill by itself may not be enough but if they put a couple things together it is enough for identity thief.

PS I recently moved and one of the weird things I was asked was to show my electric bill to establish my residency then I got a identification card for a govermental activity. I live in Calif so many places are very sensitive about not asking for a birth certificate or driver's license. I can see how, even with a few pieces of mail someone might be able to steal an identity.

Trina_P
Guru
Trina_P
In response to Gelidy Gelato

I say all the time that obviously these criminals are smart. And if they put their intelligence to an honest to goodness job, imagine what good they could do in the world.

Page 1 of 5 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics