Username Post: Accounting?        (Topic#1561119)
afitzgerald91
Resident
afitzgerald91

I'm sure I'm not the only one who doesn't/didn't know what to do after high school. I've switched my career aspirations so many times, it was silly for me to consider any of them. So, I went to a community college and got all of my generel studies out of the way, and just graduated with my Associates Degree in Liberal Arts and Sciences: General Studies. Vague McVague Degree. I was having a lot of problems coming up with a "where to go from here" plan, and considered Hospitality Management, so I got a job at a Holiday Inn Express to see how I liked it...and, while it does have some fun and easy days, most of them are VERY stressful and I just don't handle stress well. It doesn't suit me, and I don't like the 24-hour on call and great responsibilies that come with the package. Now what?

Well, I was looking up majors and universities around my area, and discovered Accounting. I'm great at math and have a very logical brain (Okay, I'm middle-brained. Equally logical as I am creative. It's both a gift and a curse.) So, I applied to a local school for Accounting and that's my new plan. I've heard there are many jobs available from a degree in Accounting, and that all of them pay generously.

Long story short, does anyone have any experience with accounting? What does it really entail, what are the pros and cons, and is there anything else I should know? Thanks so much in advance, I'd really appreciate any sort of input...I feel great finally having a direction, but I did come up with this three days ago and now I'm hooked on it. My boyfriend says all great ideas happen that way, I just hope I'm not jumping into anything!

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to afitzgerald91

I've been working for an accountant for over 20 years now, doing bookkeeping before that. I'm not sure what your question is when you ask what does it really entail.

Pros are every business needs a bookkeeper or accountant, so there are probably more job opportunities out there for people with this type of job skill than with some other job skills. For now, most accountant jobs are here in the US and not off-shored to another country (but that may change). Pros are that salary often matches the level of education. The more educated and the more credentials (i.e. a CPA), the higher the salary. Another con is frequently (but not always) job hours are "9-to-5", so there is some stability with that.

Cons are that the work can often be tedious. There are parts of my job that I love, and parts that are boooooring. There are probably a lot of jobs out there like this. Another con....you are sitting, a lot, using a computer. It can wreak havoc on your body, so being active outside of work is important as is getting up and moving during the work day. Another con, meeting stressful deadlines. Sometimes there is more work than time in a day, but you still have deadlines that must be met.

I hope that answers a few questions for you!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to Luvmyfam

yeah,,,,I got the vague degree too,,,,,liberal arts and sciences,,,,,

and THEN I went into the travel industry from there,,,travel agent,,,got the degree for that too,,,,,and loved it for years,,,,

but the hotel end SUCKS,,I work for Days Inn right now and I can't STAND IT.

I know how you feel,,,good luck,,,I know nothing about accounting,,,,,,,wish my brain worked like that, but it doesn't,,,,so good luck to you~!

Just G
Just G 
Queen
Just G
In response to CommaHolly

i got my first BA in Pysch and there are no jobs unless you have a MA or PhD. But i'm making more as a data analyst than i would with a MA

So i switched to accounting! There are jobs everywhere for people with a BS in Accounting and CPAs and Controllers can make quite a good living!

Edited by Just G on 07-09-11 02:12 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

afitzgerald91
Resident
afitzgerald91
In response to Just G

Thanks for the info Jen! I definitely want some stable hours in case of future mini-Amys, plus I work the 3-11 shift at the Holiday Inn (guess where I am right now??) and it is horrible, I feel like I can't do anything with my day!! I don't know that I'd like being at a computer all day but I mean...it's better than standing all day! Hahaha As long as I get a break every now and again I guess it'd be fine...at this job we don't get breaks. It's horrible!

Holly, being a travel agent was one of my career ideas, but from what I hear there isn't a lot of money involved in it, and I'm kind of a gold digger! XD I do love traveling a lot, though! And yeah, this hotel thing is not what I thought it would be! I've had a few guests that were really nice and unique, one man made his own instruments and let me play some, but a lot of the guests are rude and needy and blame me for things that are out of my control. I'm not a huge people person, so it's hard to deal with some of these people! I also feel like my work is never done because there's always people checking in and out, and I like the idea of having a deadline for a certain project/job and finishing something.

Glenda, I'm glad I won't have a hard time looking for a job then! Psychology is interesting to me but I could never see myself doing that as a career, it takes someone really special for that!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

there was NO money in being a travel agent but the perks were amazing,,,,and I loved it,,,,until the airlines started not paying travel agents and the whole thing fell with a large crash. Good luck FINDING a decent travel agent job today,,,,

you're better off with accounting.

mjmone
mjmone 
Idol
mjmone
In response to Just G

I've been in the accounting field for 30+ years. Don't have a degree, but do/have done general accounting. (those days you did not have to have a degree to get an entry level position, these days, you do) I've worked at banks, retail and big companies. I now work p-time doing general ledger accounting for my husband's two companies.

I go back to the days when we had to do 12 column spreadsheets and maintain account journals by hand! (before desktop computers)

It's a good career for me, as I don't want to deal with the drama that people can create. And that being dependent on others can create. Numbers do what they are supposed to do...they don't have an 'attitude'. Debits will equal Credits and if there is a problem, you can usually find what went wrong and a way to fix it.

I have my month down to a 'routine' and I like that.

So, that is my pro, at work I can be independent.

Cons, well the numbers on the 10-key are opposite those on the ATM machines, so gotta be careful not to go on 'auto pilot' and input my deposit at the bank the way I use the 10-key.

and after years of writing on those 12 column spreadsheets, I have the ugliest, most scrunched up handwriting you can imagine.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to mjmone

• mjmone Said:
I've been in the accounting field for 30+ years. Don't have a degree, but do/have done general accounting. (those days you did not have to have a degree to get an entry level position, these days, you do) I've worked at banks, retail and big companies. I now work p-time doing general ledger accounting for my husband's two companies.

I go back to the days when we had to do 12 column spreadsheets and maintain account journals by hand! (before desktop computers)

It's a good career for me, as I don't want to deal with the drama that people can create. And that being dependent on others can create. Numbers do what they are supposed to do...they don't have an 'attitude'. Debits will equal Credits and if there is a problem, you can usually find what went wrong and a way to fix it.
I have my month down to a 'routine' and I like that.

So, that is my pro, at work I can be independent.

Cons, well the numbers on the 10-key are opposite those on the ATM machines, so gotta be careful not to go on 'auto pilot' and input my deposit at the bank the way I use the 10-key.

and after years of writing on those 12 column spreadsheets, I have the ugliest, most scrunched up handwriting you can imagine.

Exactly!! I love that part of my job. And, yes....the ATMs can be hazardous

I have a great position. I report directly to our controller, and I do not have staff below me. I'm given specialized tasks based on my knowledge and experience. I love being able to work independently and I don't have to supervise the monkeys that work around me.

Many years ago I worked for a company that was bought out. A nice aspect is the accounting department was the last to go (typical). We were needed to wrap up things long after the operations ceased and the other employees were let go. I was able to then look for a part-time job that worked around my kids' schedule. I had to look for a while, but there are companies that are more than happy to let you schedule your own hours, as long as your work is completed.

My job can be boring at times, but I make decent money which allows me to indulge my hobbies.

hotroding scrapbooker
Diva
hotroding scrapbooker
In response to Luvmyfam

I'm working on my accounting degree too and I'm not out to discourage...but accounting is a different type of math. Another thing that I found is that my liberal arts degree had very little in common with an accounting degree and I've had to take a lot more classes than planned.

With that said the degree is very versatile and will open many different types of opportunities.

Just G
Just G 
Queen
Just G
In response to hotroding scrapbooker

I've been doing bookkeeping and accounting classes cover all of bookeeping in the first few weeks! LOL.

It is a great career but you will be doing yoru homework for hours! Be prepared. it's not 'just math"

afitzgerald91
Resident
afitzgerald91
In response to Just G

I don't expect it to be easy by any means! I was worried about having to take more classes than will fit in the next two years, considering the cost of the school I'm going to, but I guess we will just see where it takes me, and maybe I'll be able to take summer courses or something. And I don't mind homework THAT much..lol My boyfriend and I are very scholarly so we will actually make library "dates"..Last year Friday was our days off of classes, and in the afternoon we would go to the library for fourish hours and just sit and get work done. That way we felt we had the weekend to enjoy ourselves, and it was adorable catching him staring at me from the other side of the desk with a grin on his face. Awww

Oh, right, accounting. Yeah...I think it'll be good for me, I'm actually surprised at how many of you responded! Must be a good life, if we can be accountants/controllers/f ill-in-occupation-here and still have time and energy and the passion to scrap!

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam

Glenda is right about the homework! Oy! I have never in my life had more homework than in my accounting classes. A lot of it was easy for me, it just took time. The only time I struggled was when I had a really terrible teacher.

Accounting is what you make it. Like many careers, you get out of it what you put into it. I spent many years in the trenches putting in horribly long hours. Back then, honestly, I didn't have time for hobbies. But I hadn't discovered scrapbooking back then. If I had, I probably would have said "no" to overtime . I have friends who have done well in their positions putting in just the minimum effort. They are very happy with their positions.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics