Username Post: the movie The Hunger Games        (Topic#1572829)
TraciK
TraciK 
Governor
TraciK

Has anyone saw it yet? I went with a friend Friday. I really liked it!

ncyankee
Queen
ncyankee
In response to TraciK

Saw it on Friday also. I really enjoyed it. Thought they were true to the book.

One criticism I heard was that they didn't develop the characters enough. As it was, it was a 2 1/4 hour movie. It would have been hard to delve much deeper in a reasonable time.

Two thumbs up!

Trina_P
Guru
Trina_P
In response to ncyankee

A friend from work saw it. The late movie, and only got 3 hours of sleep before coming to work but she said it was so worth it.

siameseplease
Angel
siameseplease
In response to Trina_P

I guess I am the lone dissenter so far (did I even spell that right?). I did not read the books, so I saw the movie without any prior knowledge of them. I knew the premise, but that was it. I thought it was okay, but not great. My brother felt the same. He also hasn't read the books. I am reading the first book now (I'm only about a quarter of the way through). I'm enjoying the book much more than the movie.

t-scraps
Expert
t-scraps
In response to siameseplease

I saw it too!

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to t-scraps

read the books and we're hoping to see the movie this weekend ... everyone we know who saw it loved it and since everyone in the family has read it, we figured we'd all go together ... probably Sunday

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to madmatter

My son and his friends saw it. Said it was okay but he wasn't enthusiastic about it.

SmartyPants
Diva
SmartyPants
In response to Henri Jean

haven't read the books - but I hope to see it soon!

Fargomutt
Expert
Fargomutt
In response to siameseplease

• siameseplease Said:
I guess I am the lone dissenter so far (did I even spell that right?). I did not read the books, so I saw the movie without any prior knowledge of them. I knew the premise, but that was it. I thought it was okay, but not great. My brother felt the same. He also hasn't read the books. I am reading the first book now (I'm only about a quarter of the way through). I'm enjoying the book much more than the movie.

I totally agree with this. I also did not read the books but knew the story line. The movie was just ok - kind of predictable.

I also had a young girl sitting next to me who apparently had read the books because 30-45 seconds before each major scene, she would duck down in her seat and say "OMG, OMG, here it comes".

michelley2002
Resident
michelley2002
In response to Fargomutt

I loved the books-like read all three in like three days and ignored almost everything around me and didn't sleep. I am usually really disappointed by book to movie versions-but i think they did a pretty good job with this one. I only have one real complaint which is that there wasn't enough of the Katniss/Rue story line which was one of my favorite parts of the book. I still cried like a baby though...

astrangevictory
Veteran
astrangevictory
In response to michelley2002

I did see it, and enjoyed it, although not as much as I liked the books, which I have read a million times. If you have not read them, then hie thee to the Library and put yourself on the wait list for each of the books.

Without trying to give much away, I will say this: I cannot see how they will out the third book into a film meant for teens. It is SO FREAKING DARK AND GRIM. Not that I think that teens will care...they are in High Schhol, and what is more grim than that? But I fear that well-meaning people will raise a fuss. It's dark, people. I'm just sayin'.

TraciK
TraciK 
Governor
TraciK
In response to astrangevictory

I agree. Not sure how that is going to go either.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to TraciK

I finally got to see the movie today. I liked the movie, but IMHO, the books are far better. I think the casting was good. One complaint, and maybe it's just me, but I had a hard time telling Peta apart from Kato during some of the faster-moving scenes. They looked too much alike to me at times.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Luvmyfam

The last 2 Harry Potter books were very dark and they put them in film. However, I liked the first Harry Potter and liked each later one less and less. I did not like the last one at all.

TraciK
TraciK 
Governor
TraciK
In response to Henri Jean

The books are always better....

fknapoleon
Pro
fknapoleon
In response to TraciK

I enjoyed the movie. I think that if you haven't read the books, even if you understand the basic premise of the books, you won't enjoy the movie quite as much. I think that with the style of how the books were written, with one person's point of view rather than more action, it was difficult to properly flesh out the characters for those who haven't read the books. If that makes sense.

Perfect example without ruining any of the movie would be the very beginning with Prim's cat. In the book, we get a whole background of knowledge that delves into who Katniss is a person. In the movie, five seconds of a cat hissing. That's just not feasible to go into without making the movie four hours long.

I agree with TraciK. The books are better when you can get into emotion inside someone's head. That's really tough to translate into a movie.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics