Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: What kind of dishes do you have.....        (Topic#1574043)
TraciK
TraciK 
Governor
TraciK

I am in the market for new dinnerware. I am currently using corelle. I have been happy with them but want something different and my ds is getting an apartment so I am going to give him my old ones so I can get new ones!

We are hard on dishes and I want something that doesn't chip easily.

So, what do you have and how well has it held up?

Thanks!

siameseplease
Angel
siameseplease
In response to TraciK

Our pattern is retired, but we have Mikasa dishes. They have held up really well. I put them in the dishwasher without issues. However, although they are sturdy and thick, they are still china and would break if dropped on a hard surface. I've dropped them on the counter before and they haven't chipped, but I imagine that if I dropped them on the floor, I wouldn't be so lucky!

Lamoo12
Governor
Lamoo12
In response to siameseplease

I bought a pattern i really liked at Target. I haven't had a problem.

kelseymel
Idol
kelseymel
In response to Lamoo12

Ours are Pfaltzgraff. We've had them almost 12 years and they still look brand new.

I want new stuff because I am tired of looking at these every day.

GMFTS
GMFTS 
Mayor
GMFTS
  • GMFTS on 04-23-12 06:32 AM
In response to kelseymel

• kelseymel Said:
Ours are Pfaltzgraff. We've had them almost 12 years and they still look brand new.

I want new stuff because I am tired of looking at these every day.

Maybe we should all just swap?
Have a round robin of dinnerware.

kelseymel
Idol
kelseymel
In response to GMFTS

Sounds good to me!

Although we could probably just buy new ones for what it would cost to ship them.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 04-23-12 08:14 AM
In response to kelseymel

We recently replaced a set of Nautica dishes that I think was made out of some advanced ceramic from the future because it did not chip or break. After several years I was getting REALLY tired of it, lol. One day I just said time to change and gave it to Goodwill.

We got Fiestaware - durable, comes in a ton of colors, and easily replaceable if necessary.

ScrappyMama6
Mayor
ScrappyMama6
In response to stick

I have plain white Pfaltzgraff dishes. The edges look like the edge of a pie after you've pressed it to the pie plate. The pattern was discontinued and Pfaltzgraff doesnt make dishes in the USA anymore, so these are rare. Each piece was lovingly rescued from every thrift store, mission, consignment store and yard sale in a 25 mile radius. I have about 35 place settings. But these suckers are heavy!

New? I'd go with Corelle.

TraciK
TraciK 
Governor
TraciK
In response to ScrappyMama6

I was actually looking at the fiesta but some people were saying that they are a little heavy and that they get scratched.

Thanks!

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 04-23-12 01:26 PM
In response to TraciK

Fiesta is a little weighty, but we like that. And haven't had any issues with scratching, they perform beautifully.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to stick

I have setting for 16 in Pfalzgraff Rio - we both love it. I've had it about 8 or 10 years and its masculine enough that Bill likes it too. Those are our every day dishes.

For breakfast dishes and dinner parties where I want an elegant flair we use our depression glass - American Fostoria, setting for 16 all the glasses and pieces. I like to use those a lot so we have our cinnamon rolls or English muffins or whatever on them every morning and I use them for some holidays.

For some meals I use my white Lenox china - completely white with no detail. I only have setting for 10 people but its pretty with the right table cloths and napkins.

I had a friend in California and every time we ate at her house we had a gorgeous table setting. Absolutely gorgeous and never the same.

She bought plain white dishes with nothing on them - no pattern. Then she had tons of tablecloths, napkins, placemats and napkin rings.

Every meal was a tablecloth or different napkins or placemats and it was always just beautiful.

Her kitchen cabinets were loaded with glasses and goblets in every color to go with the various tablecloths and napkins.

For special occasions she took her dinner napkin to the florist and had a flower arrangement made to match her napkins.

She was a remarkable woman and we used to have a ball hanging out and shopping together.

Her father was an interesting guy too - quite a character. His name was Jay Ward and he was the owner/creater/producer of Rocky and Bullwinkle and George of the Jungle and others.

ScrappyHeather
Mayor
ScrappyHeather
In response to Henri Jean

I have plain white Corelle. I have had it for just about 11 years and it still looks great!

Diva Scraps
Idol
Diva Scraps
In response to ScrappyHeather

The set we use every day now is Sango flair black. It was purchased at Macy's. I usually change our every day stuff out every 2 - 3 yrs so I don't stress too much about it chipping or breaking unless it happens super easily. This stuff? I've dropped bowls and plates from wall cabinet height on to the granite floor and not so much as a chip or crack.

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore
In response to Diva Scraps

We've got 12 year old cost plus dishes in sage and cobalt.

I'd kill for some white corelle.

The dishes we've got are chipped, cracked, and have seen better days but until we're out of dishes to use (break, crack) I'm stuck with them. We have full service for 10. Had a set for 12 to begin with. Gettin' there.....

Karen B
Diva
Karen B
In response to Seaexplore

Plain white Corelle. When I find what I'm looking for, I want to get serving dishes in maybe a Tuscan red to add some color to the table. They replace some old stoneware with aqua and green odd shapes that look like they belong on the Jetsons.

I also have antique china dishes which are Staffordshire Bouquet. http://www.etsy.com/listing/71522520/dinn er-plate-staff...

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Karen B

Forgot to add - my girlfriend in California who always had the most beautiful table settings - never the same twice - the were the plain white Corelle.

She even had a cedar chest in her dining room which she stored tons of sets of napkins, placemats and tableclothes in so she could mix it up with ever meal and when she had a lot of people she pushed the cedar chest to the table for seating.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to Henri Jean

I bought some cheap dishes at Sears at $5 per piece. We were pinched for time and I was being picky, so we bought these just to get by. We ended up liking them quite a bit. They are a lot like Fiestaware. They are now 5 years old and are starting to chip from bangs against the sink and counter. It's time to replace them. I may replace them with the same type if Sears still carries them.

TraciK
TraciK 
Governor
TraciK
In response to Luvmyfam

Decisions, Decisions.....lol

luv2scrap:)
Guru
luv2scrap:)
In response to TraciK

I just got new dishes last year, and I love everything about them except for the bowls. We DESPISE the bowls! The bowls that come in a lot of the newer sets of dishes are so flat and shallow they almost look like plates. They are awful to try to use for cereal, soup and things that are really liquid because the liquid slops out super easy. The dishes are Cindy Crawford brand from JC Penney's in a pattern that has been discontinued, but the quality is great. Next time I replace my dishes I will make sure to get a set with deeper bowls.

cutencrafty
Diva
cutencrafty
In response to luv2scrap:)

I have Pfaltzgraff dishes. I hate them I've had them for 7 years now mine are all chipped and scratched up. I don't have any of the bowls left since they have all broke. They have knife marks on them which make them look not too pretty. I still like my pattern but not their quality.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics