Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Ipad or Tablet?        (Topic#1581065)
Als_Gal
Guru
Als_Gal

Ok girls I need some technical advice help whatever you want to call it. Do any of you have an Ipad or Tablet and if you do what do you have and what are some of the things you like and dislike about it? I am looking to get one in a few weeks for my non profit so much easier then having to carry my laptop around when I visit with clients and other agencys.

Thanks

ScrappyMama6
Mayor
ScrappyMama6
In response to Als_Gal

Im an Apple fan, thus far.

My Sister is an Android fan.

Ive played with both an iPad and an Android-run tablet. Both are speedy, and easy to use.

Consider what you'll actually be using it for...to make and store appointments, make lists, etc.....if you need to create documents, fliers and burn material to a CD/DVD, keep in mind these dont do that, you need a laptop. Even the mini notebooks or netbooks dont have a CD/DVD drive.

For me, if $$ were no object, Id get an iPad.

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore
In response to ScrappyMama6

I have an ipad2 and I love it. Great for web browsing, email, shopping, PDA type stuff. You CAN word process but I've never tried it. Seems too complicated and the keyboard is kinda small for any length of typing. You can print from the iPad if you have a wireless printer.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Seaexplore

I've looked at ipads but they just don't work for me. I have to have a flash drive. It's useless to me without one.

I also do a lot of word files and need to transfer them back and forth and I can't do that with an ipad. Have got my money out several times to get an ipad, but it just doesn't do what I want.

In the next month or so the Windows pad or tablet is supposed to be out - with flash drives and the windows operating system I'm used to. It is supposed to be a lot more like a real laptop and I think it has an attachable kepboard which I will stick in my suitcase when travelling.

I've heard it will be pricier than the ipads or any others but I'm optimistic that it will meet my needs. If so, my husband and I are both going to get one.

He's not happy with what is currently out there either and I really want him to have a flash drive for passing things back and forth to him to install on his. Flash drive just makes it easy.

Also, I use incredimail, which I love, which is not compatible with anyone out right now.

Tivi
Tivi 
Diva
Tivi
  • Tivi on 09-25-12 05:52 AM
In response to ScrappyMama6

I don't have either, mostly because I haven't figured out what to use one for. I use my phone to track appointments and make short notes. I use my laptop for spreadsheets, documents, brochures, etc. Rarely am I anywhere with a client that I DON'T need a file from my laptop.

One thing you might need to consider is appearances. Hawking a non-profit and having the latest and greatest (and expensive) "toy" doesn't usually make a good impression. Most people do research into a charity before donating money - like how much of each donation actually goes to the purpose of the charity vs. going towards administrative costs. Hate to burst anyone's bubble, but the Susan Komen foundation is one of the worst for this. Last time I checked, just over 40% of all donations went to cover administrative costs, not research or support.

Any news on where your application is with the IRS? Are you close to receiving the award letter?

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Tivi

I've heard this about Susan Komen too - lots of admin costs. Also United Way.

I've heard the best place to donate where you money goes to the organization is the Salvation Army.

I have not researched it and stand corrected if I'm wrong about any of the 3 I've mentioned, but that is what I've always heard. Salvation Army has the lowest paid Officers and the most goes into the purpose it was designed for.

angie girl
Diva
angie girl
In response to Henri Jean

Remind me what your nonprofit is again...do you have a website or something?

I make super good money doing what I do, and I still don't have an iPad or tablet. I can't justify the cost, since I have a laptop and all. Sounds like you may not have thought through your needs when you purchased the laptop. Is convenience for yourself really worth allocating the money to a new gadget instead of whatever you're doing to help others with your non-profit??? I have to admit, I've read posts about you buying a camera, a laptop, and now a tablet through your non-profit, and its making me a bit skeptical. IMO, the answer to your question is neither. Put the money towards the people you're serving.

Edited by angie girl on 09-25-12 07:04 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Diva
In response to angie girl

I have a tablet and love it. Samsung 7.0

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 09-25-12 08:30 AM
In response to bayamonesa1

I love my ipad, but I see it as more of an indulgence and a toy. If I need to do ANY kind of real computer work - long emails, word processing, spreadsheets, serious photo editing, forms, presentations, or anything where I need to flip back and forth between several applications at once for review and analysis (which is pretty much all the time), I go to my laptop. Technically you can do all of these thing on ipad but with varying degrees of success and annoyance.

Where I work a lot of the managers have ipads as a replacement for BlackBerrys. It's a good productivity tool when they're travelling between sites - they can do their calendar, email, and a limited amount of work - but it just doesn't have the power or the tools of a real computer. Not to mention hard-drive space! The cheapest ipad is only 16GB which is NOTHING if you'll have any file storage needs at all.

Again, I love my ipad and would hate to live without it, but for a business need I'd spend the money on a decent, light-weight laptop.

t-scraps
Expert
t-scraps
In response to Henri Jean

• Henri Jean Said:
I've looked at ipads but they just don't work for me. I have to have a flash drive. It's useless to me without one.

I also do a lot of word files and need to transfer them back and forth and I can't do that with an ipad. Have got my money out several times to get an ipad, but it just doesn't do what I want.

In the next month or so the Windows pad or tablet is supposed to be out - with flash drives and the windows operating system I'm used to. It is supposed to be a lot more like a real laptop and I think it has an attachable kepboard which I will stick in my suitcase when travelling.

I've heard it will be pricier than the ipads or any others but I'm optimistic that it will meet my needs. If so, my husband and I are both going to get one.

He's not happy with what is currently out there either and I really want him to have a flash drive for passing things back and forth to him to install on his. Flash drive just makes it easy.

Also, I use incredimail, which I love, which is not compatible with anyone out right now.

If it's going to operate like a laptop, how is it different than a laptop? Sounds more like a netbook. Just curious if you knew what the appeal is for the new device versus a laptop or netbook.

P.S. Have an iPad and love it!

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore
In response to stick

• stick Said:
I love my ipad, but I see it as more of an indulgence and a toy. If I need to do ANY kind of real computer work - long emails, word processing, spreadsheets, serious photo editing, forms, presentations, or anything where I need to flip back and forth between several applications at once for review and analysis (which is pretty much all the time), I go to my laptop. Technically you can do all of these thing on ipad but with varying degrees of success and annoyance.

Where I work a lot of the managers have ipads as a replacement for BlackBerrys. It's a good productivity tool when they're travelling between sites - they can do their calendar, email, and a limited amount of work - but it just doesn't have the power or the tools of a real computer. Not to mention hard-drive space! The cheapest ipad is only 16GB which is NOTHING if you'll have any file storage needs at all.

Again, I love my ipad and would hate to live without it, but for a business need I'd spend the money on a decent, light-weight laptop.

Yes, all of this!

I only have an iPad because my dad bought them for all of us kids so we could facetime and keep in touch since we're all spread out around the country. He likes to "see" his grand kids as often as he can and this allowed it to happen.

950nancy
Diva
950nancy

I love to read on my iPad because I can blow up the the font. A laptop is heavier, but really easier to work on IMO.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to 950nancy

I have not seen the new windows pad - supposed to be released soon. It is supposed to have all the power of a laptop - same memnory and space and speed and capabilities but sized like a tablet.

I looked at netbooks and it just wasn't what I wanted.

The microsoft tablet is supposed to be a business machine with enough power to run a small business. Hype now is that it can actually replace your laptop without sacrificing anything.

My understand is that it will be released soon in conjunction with Windows 8.

Anxious to see it - will then decide. I've heard it will be around $1,300-$1,500 so it really has to knock my socks off if that is the price.

But anything I've read now says it designed to be a full business machine in a tablet size.

Until I see it - I don't know. My son has a small tablet and loves it and I love the size. But I just need it to do more.

teenuh
teenuh 
Tenant
teenuh
In response to 950nancy

I have an iPad 2 while my fiance has a Transformer Prime tablet, both bought last year. I really my iPad, but I'm self-admittedly superficial. Apple products just look so sleek and pretty to me! You can do more with tablets in terms of customization unless you unlock your iPad. Also, iPad doesn't support certain things like Flash web-browsing, and they've recently stopped supporting Google products. But...there are always apps in the iTunes store to bypass those things.

fknapoleon
Pro
fknapoleon
In response to angie girl

• angie girl Said:

I make super good money doing what I do, and I still don't have an iPad or tablet. I can't justify the cost, since I have a laptop and all. Sounds like you may not have thought through your needs when you purchased the laptop. Is convenience for yourself really worth allocating the money to a new gadget instead of whatever you're doing to help others with your non-profit??? I have to admit, I've read posts about you buying a camera, a laptop, and now a tablet through your non-profit, and its making me a bit skeptical. IMO, the answer to your question is neither. Put the money towards the people you're serving.

Just because someone buys an iPad doesn't mean they didn't think about the purchase of their laptop. I know several people who have main computers, laptops, tablets, iPods, and cell phones. Each one does different things and they CAN justify the purchases.
I could think of several non-profits and charities needing all of these things. Maybe you should stop worrying about what other people purchase.

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore
In response to fknapoleon

• Kendraj78 Said:
  • angie girl Said:

Just because someone buys an iPad doesn't mean they didn't think about the purchase of their laptop. I know several people who have main computers, laptops, tablets, iPods, and cell phones. Each one does different things and they CAN justify the purchases.
I could think of several non-profits and charities needing all of these things. Maybe you should stop worrying about what other people purchase.

Kendra- I don't think Angie was really "worrying about what other people purchase" but merely mentioning that Kim seems to have an awful lot of gadgets and if she's just creating a start up nonprofit she might be better putting her money towards that. It's NOT a cheap thing to do! Yes, Kim is a big girl and can spend her money as she sees fit. However, I am leery of giving to a nonprofit if the person asking for money it sitting there with a laptop, iPad, or tablet. That's just me I'm sure but it doesn't sit well with me when I'm giving MY hard earned money to a nonprofit and the owners have lots of expensive gadgets.

Als_Gal
Guru
Als_Gal

• Seaexplore Said:
  • Kendraj78 Said:
  • angie girl Said:

Kendra- I don't think Angie was really "worrying about what other people purchase" but merely mentioning that Kim seems to have an awful lot of gadgets and if she's just creating a start up nonprofit she might be better putting her money towards that. It's NOT a cheap thing to do! Yes, Kim is a big girl and can spend her money as she sees fit. However, I am leery of giving to a nonprofit if the person asking for money it sitting there with a laptop, iPad, or tablet. That's just me I'm sure but it doesn't sit well with me when I'm giving MY hard earned money to a nonprofit and the owners have lots of expensive gadgets.

Thanks for all the answers, and to answer a few questions my Paperwork has been sent in we are waiting on a response. Yes I have a laptop but I bought that for school when I sold my Mini Dell Netbook back in January needed the bigger laptop for my online classes. The Digital camera was a gift for me If I buy a tablet or iPad I am buying it with my money not the non profits money at all. I don't touch that for personal items its their to help me run my non profit. I would never use it for myself, if someone thinks that so be it but I would never. My accountant handles all of that, if I need money to help a client it comes from the accountants office. I work out of my home office alot visiting other agencys and clients so thats why I was asking about this. I understand that other non profits may abuse their funding but you wont find that here it all goes to my homeless and less fortunate clients whether it is buying them much needed clothes or food items paying for a motel until they can find other arrangements.

Just G
Just G 
Queen
Just G
In response to Als_Gal

Laptops are more functional for all purpose where ever you go HOWEVER if you are just using the 'gadget' for showing marketing stuff go for an ipad.

My old job had one so when they had business meetings they could just pull up the reports from email and show the brochures and stuff and it was easier than lugging around a laptop and having to plug in, etc.

Most of this equipment is going to be a tax write off anyway.

fknapoleon
Pro
fknapoleon

• Seaexplore Said:

I guess that's the joy of differences. I prefer my charity to seem well organized and at least have a laptop. Of course the charity I donate my time and money to uses iPads for the children of their charity so I know how it's being allocated.

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore
In response to fknapoleon

• Kendraj78 Said:
  • Seaexplore Said:

I guess that's the joy of differences. I prefer my charity to seem well organized and at least have a laptop. Of course the charity I donate my time and money to uses iPads for the children of their charity so I know how it's being allocated.

And that makes PERFECT sense. If the kids and families from the charities are USING them that's one thing. For the people who are running the charity (if they didn't purchase it THEMSELVES) I think it looks kinda bad. No, I can't TELL from looking at them if they purchased them or the charity purchased them. I personally prefer to just donate clothing and time rather than money. That way I know my "stuff" is being used the way I wanted it to be.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics