Username Post: Reindeer Games        (Topic#1582785)
pugs223
Idol
pugs223

I am looking for ideas for games to play with the kids (DS/nieces/nephews) at Christmas. Last year, everyone was on their Kindles, Netbooks, phones, etc that no one played together. This year, I said I'm going to be the mean Auntie and make them put their electronics down and we are going to have some fun together because that is what Christmas is about.

The kids: Girl 12, Girl 9, Boy 9, Boy 7, Boy 6, Boy 4, Sister-in-law 31 (I think she was the worst offender of ignoring everyone while on Kindle last year). With SILs (3 total), the youngest ones could have a helper if needed.

SOOOOO, any ideas for some fun games we can play with the group?

kelseymel
Idol
kelseymel
In response to pugs223

Push them out the door and then lock it?

That always works for me.

Seriously though, I'll put on my thinking cap.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to kelseymel

At our holiday parties, we've done a trivia game with little prizes (or you could just keep score).

I usually find holiday questions online.

E.g.
What product advertisement does Santa appear?
What was Frosty the Snowman's nose made of?
What gifts did the wise men present?

I completely agree about the electronics. It drives me NUTS when my nieces and nephews are engrossed in their gadgets, rather than interacting with the person sitting in front of them!
You are NOT the mean aunt.

PaulaB102
Tenant
PaulaB102
In response to pugs223

Try looking at classroom party games (library book or online).
The 1st one that came to mind for me was "Don't Eat Pete!" If you don't know it, it involves taking turns going out of the room, a 'secret' square, anticipation and enthusiastic yelling when the 'right' square is chosen.
Maybe a gift exchange game: participants sit in a circle, all start with a wrapped gift, leader reads a story with lots of "left" & "right" in it, at each direction word the gifts are passed.
Good luck!

2xblessed
Queen
2xblessed
In response to PaulaB102

How about "Pin the nose on Rudolph"? I don't know if it is a "real" game or not. It just popped into my head. If it isn't real then just draw a big Rudolph and his nose separately and blindfold the player as each one takes turns. The others give the one playing hints on where Rudolph is.

kelseymel
Idol
kelseymel
In response to 2xblessed

What about a scavenger hunt?

And here are some cute ideas.

charK
charK 
Mayor
charK
  • charK on 11-20-12 11:51 AM
In response to kelseymel

We always play games. Like trouble, wheel of fortune on the tv, and others. We do elimination rounds and I post a big sheet of paper with the brackets of who is playing who, the kids sign up and so do adults. One final grand prize.....big bag of M&M's or something like that.

pugs223
Idol
pugs223
In response to charK

Melissa - pushing them out the door would work. But then I may as well just let them leave their faces buried in their electronics

Thanks for all of the ideas so far. I may just get like 20 games ready, then pick out of a hat what we are going to play next.

Linda - thanks for reassuring me that I'm not the mean aunt

moxiegirl23
Queen
moxiegirl23
In response to pugs223

"Let's see who can write our thank you notes the fastest?" with prizes also given for creativity and quantity.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to moxiegirl23

• moxiegirl23 Said:
"Let's see who can write our thank you notes the fastest?" with prizes also given for creativity and quantity.

Oooohhhh good one!!

Leave it to Liz to come up with one that's creative AND educational!

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to pugs223

• pugs223 Said:
Melissa - pushing them out the door would work. But then I may as well just let them leave their faces buried in their electronics

Thanks for all of the ideas so far. I may just get like 20 games ready, then pick out of a hat what we are going to play next.

Linda - thanks for reassuring me that I'm not the mean aunt

Well, if you are, then I am too!!

When this happened with our family, I gently tried to 'nudge' niece away from her phone and interact.

Had it been my own kid... she would have gotten a stern warning, and electronic would have been taken away!

corrie fan
Diva
corrie fan
In response to Bxr-Linda

• Bxr-Linda Said:
  • moxiegirl23 Said:

Oooohhhh good one!!

Leave it to Liz to come up with one that's creative AND educational!

Points given for lack of spelling and grammar mistakes.

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato
In response to pugs223

How about a game of twister.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to Gelidy Gelato

Bananagrams!!!! Our family loves that. However.....it's probably not best for the younger ones since it is a Scrabble-like game. The company that makes Bananagrams also makes similar games for the younger crowd, and I've heard great reviews about those games, too. Google Bananagrams and you should be able to find the whole fruit collection for various ages.

Our family also does jigsaw puzzles. I always have a couple ready to go. You could put one out for the adults, and one for the kids. I would bet that everyone of every age will try and work on each puzzle.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 11-21-12 09:24 AM
In response to Luvmyfam

I have a friend whose family has gingerbread house building contests. She buys several kits each year after Christmas when they're on sale. They divide into teams and each team builds ... Something - "house" doesn't begin to describe it, they get really creative with themes, jokes, current events. Sinking Titanic gingerbread house. OJ Simpson escaping down the freeway gingerbread creation. Stuff like that. They're allowed to use whatever other toys and candy and stuff thats around. There's a time limit, an hour maybe, and then each team does a big presentation of their creation. And she buys silly prizes so everyone wins something. Things from Ross and the dollar store. The entire family gets really involved and they have a blast. Way more fun than my family, lol.

Diva
In response to stick

I want to try this at home this Christmas as well!

laceyKat
Angel
laceyKat
In response to bayamonesa1

We always play BINGO at thanks giving... all the grown ups and the kids play. There are envelopes with a dollar in them. Blackout, of course, has the $5.00 bill in it. I won it this year!!

pugs223
Idol
pugs223
In response to laceyKat

WE HAD A BLAST!!!!

Our first activity was a scavenger hunt. I took 15 ornaments off my tree, took pictures and made a document with all of the pictures, then took the ornaments to my parents and my sis-in-law hid them. This game got a few of the adults involved because they had to help the younger ones write down where they found the ornaments.

Then we played yahtzee/chance with really huge wood dice my dad had.

Then we bounced ping pong balls into plastic cups taped to the floor that had points written on them.

Then we played another round of yahtzee and another round of ping pong.

We had little prizes for everyone and the kids even asked to keep playing.

Now I can't wait to come up with some more ideas for next year!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics