Username Post: Snow Storm Up North        (Topic#1584995)
lifethroughalens
Veteran
lifethroughalens

I'm sitting here watching Making it in America and they just reported on this huge storm getting ready to hit up north. I live here in TN (been here about 11 years) and the most snow I have seen since moving here is about 4 inches. I was wondering if those of you that are from there and are use to the snow, are you worried about this particular storm? What are you planning to do while snowed in? How long does it usually take to "dig out" after something like this. Just curious.

Jojo Noons
Mayor
Jojo Noons
In response to lifethroughalens

You just need to respect it...mainly hunker down and have plenty of bottled water, batteries, and food, drink to make it through... Biggest concern is if power goes out. Had a ice storm in 2008. All trees were damaged, broken limbs, downed trees...It was a mess! Power was out for a week for us, up to three weeks for others...which led to alot of mayhem. Nothing but the buzz of generators and chainsaws went on for weeks!

Usually it takes a good 2 days to get shoveled out good, roads cleared and back into the swing of things. But if power is out in a large swath...all bets are off. The other thing is to stay home and off the roads. Concerned...to a point. If you are stocked up on food and the other necessities I mentioned...you just wait it out and pray the power stays on.

KimKV
KimKV 
Queen
KimKV
  • KimKV on 02-08-13 07:40 PM
In response to Jojo Noons

Yep, just hunker down, get the generator and the snow blower ready. It's 10:30 now and hubby is clearing away the first 6 inches from the driveway.

They really are good at clearing roads once they get caught up. Then like jojo said they go back and clear it better.

That ice storm in '08 was a mess!! I did a scrap book page about it!

Then there was the storm in 2011, I think. We lost power for days then. We had a generator but for some reason it wouldn't run our furnace, man did that bite!!

Mercy4Free
Diva
Mercy4Free
In response to KimKV

my daddy and his wife are caught in it in deep river, ct. he recently had surgery for an aneurysm. it concerns me...they were trying to get back down to florida by now but having delays

moxiegirl23
Queen
moxiegirl23
In response to Mercy4Free

we've got a good 15 inches at least at my house in Manchester, NH. We're still under blizzard conditions until at least 1pm and there will be no mail delivery today. We're expecting another 3-6 inches before it stops. Depending on when the plow guys for the condo get here and how much drifting is done, I expect to be dug out by tonight.

KimKV
KimKV 
Queen
KimKV
  • KimKV on 02-09-13 05:19 AM
In response to moxiegirl23

18 inches here in Brookline, NH. We have snow all the way to our front door and we have a covered front porch!

moxiegirl23
Queen
moxiegirl23
In response to KimKV

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1015158774251...

In case anyone wants to see what we're dealing with in my neighborhood.

GMFTS
GMFTS 
Mayor
GMFTS
  • GMFTS on 02-09-13 10:14 AM
In response to moxiegirl23

We've got 25" and lots of drifting.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=3913533291900&a...

Edited by GMFTS on 02-09-13 10:15 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics