Username Post: Does your outside match your inside        (Topic#1585003)
Crafting Marfa
Veteran
Crafting Marfa

The other day my boyfriend bought me a huge pair of really funny eye glasses. They were on sale for a dollar. I put them on and we drove home. It took us about an hour to get back and I loved it when people looked at me and started laughing. I was planning to wearing them to a store the next day but forgot all about it. However, when I told a friend of mine that I was thinking about doing that to make the clerk laugh she thought that I was crazy! Also, last week I took a pair of old tennis shoes and, using Sakura Gelly Roll pens I doodled all over them. Each shoe was totally different. I've worn them several times and I love it. On the inside, I'm a colorful person who loves to laugh and make people laugh. But a lot of times the only person in my life who really "gets me" is my mom because she's an odd duck too. What about you? Does your outside look like your inside? Or are you keeping yourself hidden and showing what you think the world expects?

GMFTS
GMFTS 
Mayor
GMFTS
  • GMFTS on 02-09-13 10:33 AM
In response to Crafting Marfa

aw you are my kind of gal. I do nutty things like you do and get a lot of not so positive reaction.

But why let the world rain on my parade right?

Sometimes still I have to keep the outside tamped down but mostly these days I don't.

Shutterbugg
Idol
Shutterbugg
In response to GMFTS

I am quirky at times too! Being that way is natural for me ad if it makes others smile, then it's twice as nice to be quirky! I don't care much what others think, I am me and there's no changing that!

Glad to see others embracing (and enjoying!) their quirkiness too!

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 02-09-13 01:09 PM
In response to Shutterbugg

How fun! I'm 6' tall so I'm already fairly noticeable whether I like it or not. But obviously I embrace it because I like to wear tall heels, I have a large neon yellow Kate Spade bag, I just bought a pair of obnoxiously neon pink jeans, and I wish I could think of more opportunities to wear my Glinda the Good Witch and Supergirl costumes I'm colorful, I like to have fun, and I guess I have a lot of confidence, lol.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to stick

I know you in person Kara - You are gorgeous so that brings more attention your way.

You have that model look about your so the bright and fun colors just works for you!

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to Henri Jean

LOL!!

Once, in fifth grade I wore these earrings that were mismatched, one was a globe and one an Eiffel Tower. All the girls and some of the guys were PERPLEXED! I was like really? The next day, yellow tights with a purple pleated tennis skirt. Oh yeah.

Now, I get a lot of compliments that I think are compliments, but might be more like not compliments. Once at work, I had these big snake earrings, they are like hoops, love snake jewelry, one of my co-workers said, "Only you could wear that and make it not look like a costume." Interesting. Is that bad or good?

I don't really consider myself odd, but I bet my friends would.

I love heels. But, I also NEED heels. Apparently, I am short.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 02-09-13 05:34 PM
In response to Manda_K

Aww, Henri, what a sweet thing to say, thank you!!

Manda, sounds like you were rockin' in 5th grade! I hope you still dress like that

lifethroughalens
Veteran
lifethroughalens
In response to stick

I agree! I don't care what the world or anyone else thinks. If I want to do it, visit it, wear it, say it or whatever that is exactly what I will do. I would hate to know that I spent my precious time on earth being someone I am not. I think it would be exhausting to try to live up to what I think others think of me, just to find out, they really don't care. My Aunt is just like that, worries all the time what others think. What a waste of time. That being said, I do try to keep it under control, just because some people just can't handle that type of freedom. You sound like a fun person to be around.

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to lifethroughalens

I can say that what other people think in some situations is important, like work, but otherwise, eh, people are gonna think what they want I certainly cannot control that.

I have grown up in my fashion sense, but I still have my own take. I love to be a bit dressy, I still love skirts and dresses and color and patterns.

AND I saw the other day that mismatched earrings are back! I started cracking up when I saw a pair that was one pac-man and one ghost. LOL!!

I got teased a lot when I was younger, but if I had changed even one thing about myself because of what other's thought, I wouldn't be the same person today. I decided very early on that I wasn't going to let people who were insecure themselves make me feel insecure too.

Crafting Marfa
Veteran
Crafting Marfa
In response to Manda_K

Wow, you guys are awesome! When I started this thread I wasn't sure what answers I would get. I love what all of you have to say. I really do my best not to judge others' sense of style. For instance, I would admire a yuppy dressed as a yuppy even among a group of hippies, if thats who they are inside. The pressure can cut both ways. I still love my big glasses and will probably wear them out next week a d watch people's reactions and have anothe big ole laugh about it.

I can't get the photo to show, so if you want to see me in my big glasses click here http://www.flickr.com/photos/craftingmarfa/ 8441315640/

Diva
In response to Crafting Marfa

I am not like that but I love to and value diversity a lot. It is so refreshing to see a free spirit who is not so conservatio to express themselves. I have a daughter that is like that..and I always encourange her to be "free"...on the other hand...I am very old fashioned, conservative Mom! WE just love diversity and freedom!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics