Username Post: HELP! dishwasher question        (Topic#1588241)
dorichatelain
Resident
dorichatelain

We just moved into a house with a dishwasher. We have been living without a dishwasher for 11 years.

We rinse all the dishes before we put them in the dishwasher. We are wondering 2 things.

1.) do we really need to put the prewash amount of soap and the wash cycle amount of soap in?

2.) what is the difference between light and regular wash? We are thinking that we could use the light wash cycle because we do rinse the dishes.

redheadgirl
Guru
redheadgirl
In response to dorichatelain

11 years, wow!

A lot of it depends on the brand of dishwasher and performance. The best way to tell is to run it different ways and see what cleans best. We put a new one in and I had to trial and error it.

You could rinse and use light wash with only wash cycle soap, or not rinse much and do both soaps with a regular wash.
I lightly rinse mine (no chunks of food) and do regular.
Hope this helps, happy washing

Edited by redheadgirl on 05-24-13 08:18 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to redheadgirl

We just got our first dishwasher last year. I rinse all food off too, and just use those all-in-one tablets, rinse-aid, salt and the light cycle every time. Seems to work fine.

Ours has settings for baking dishes, heavy soil, light soil, and glasses only.

dorichatelain
Resident
dorichatelain
In response to RedSquirrel

Our dishwasher has Rinse only light wash, normal wash, heavy wash, pots and pans,and high temp scour. It seems to do well on normal wash but we have been filling the pre-wash compartment and the wash cycle compartment. I just got the liquid cascade at costco. That is what I used when I had my last dishwasher.

It just seems like too much soap. I will do my next load on light wash with only the wash cycle soap

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato
In response to dorichatelain

And keep some vinegar handy and every 3 or so load throw a little in (1/4 cup). If you get white residue add a little more vinegar before the cycle.

lifethroughalens
Veteran
lifethroughalens
In response to Gelidy Gelato

Yes on the vinegar. I do the same thing. Also, it's definitely a good idea to rinse (chunks of food, etc.) off unless it has a grinder built in. Just keeps down on the clogs and prolongs it's life. I know you are glad you don't have to wash dishes anymore, more scrappy time! Congrats!

corrie fan
Diva
corrie fan
In response to lifethroughalens

I remove chunks of food but do not rinse per se.

I only put soap in the main container.

I do use a rinsing agent.

Normal wash, no heat dry to save on electricity and always run at night or non peak hours (we are charge more for electricity for peak hours).

I often don't run it for 4-5 days and even with food stuff stuck on the dishes, they come out clean.

KimKV
KimKV 
Queen
KimKV
  • KimKV on 05-25-13 12:47 PM
In response to corrie fan

My husband drives me nuts with this! Not only does he get out a brush and scrub stuff off he has to use hot water! Your putting it in a dishwasher, that uses REALLY hot water and soap, could we use a little less propane (that's what our water heater uses).

But yea, we rinse..me lease them him. I use both compartments for soap but I don't fill either one up all the way.

runzalot81
Mayor
runzalot81
In response to KimKV

Our dishwasher was installed in 1987 and it's still kickin'. That's it.

ScrappyMama6
Mayor
ScrappyMama6
In response to runzalot81

My dishwashe(s) all have 2 legs, I can't help you!

dorichatelain
Resident
dorichatelain
In response to ScrappyMama6

I have to rinse the food off the dishes before putting them in the dishwasher it drives me nuts if I don't.

I looked up the dishwasher manual on whirlpool,com and it says to use light wash cycle with putting soap in the wash container with the lid.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics