Username Post: Talking Herbs! :)        (Topic#1589597)
Kaylann
Pro
Kaylann

Hello! I just thought some herb lovers would find this post and we could talk herbs. I would like to converse with people and find out how they use herbs and for what cause...I just started my herb garden this year and I love it and I totally believe in herbs. I just got myself an aloe vera plant and I love nurturing it! Hopefully it'll grow into a huge aloe vera plant...

Edited by Kaylann on 07-24-13 12:03 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to Kaylann

I've always loved the natural treatments. Peppermint tea for indigestion, cucumber for cooling, lemon for antibacterial use around the kitchen. I use essential oils a lot too, like lavender for a good night's sleep, tea tree for infections, rosemary when I'm studying.

My brother gave me a wonderful book for Christmas all about using the plants all around us for therapeutic purposes, but I haven't tried any of them out yet except nettles for soup.

When I was a child, Mum used to rinse her hair in chamomile tea. I've never felt the same about drinking it since!

Are you keeping the aloe vera for sunburn?

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 07-24-13 12:19 PM
In response to RedSquirrel

Does eating them count? Even if you don't 'believe' in herbs, I think that tasty food makes you happier, which can only make you healthier.

I put some mint leaves and half a lime in my water bottle for today. Very refreshing! Possibly helping with my concentration as well.

The main medicinal thing I use 'herbs' for is that I take ginger capsules for motion sickness.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to stick

I think eating them counts. It's only a more dilute way of consuming the same properties.

Kaylann
Pro
Kaylann
In response to stick

Yes eating them counts! I've been looking for some tasty recipes that I could make that include herbs. Would you have any to share. I drink lemon in my water everyday. The taste took some getting used to but I like it already.

Kaylann
Pro
Kaylann
In response to stick

My dad bought a book for me too! I've been studying it alot. It has recipes in there for a lot of different soaps, bath oils, lip balms and stuff like that. I'm planning on trying to make some of them. My friends told me to make them some lip balm so I'll start with that.

My grandma is really into herbs and I would like for her to come visit so she could help me identify some that are growing wild but I think it will be awhile before she feels up to that. My grandpa died last Wednesday. He just took sick all of a sudden and in less then six hours he was gone.

I just got the aloe vera plant. One of my friends gave it to me at my grandpas funeral and it's still a small plant. Yes, I'm going to keep it for burns. I'm going to use it for kitchen burns also. Well I'm not sure if I'll use this one for burns. Aloe Vera plants get babies once they're big so I'll use a different plant for burns. I want this one for looks.

This morning I burned myself on a iron while sewing and I went looking for plantan leaves and then I taped a leave over my burn and I don't feel it anymore. It's so cool!

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 07-24-13 03:28 PM
In response to Kaylann

I have an amazing herb crepe recipe, I'll hunt it up for you!

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to stick

Kaylann, do you have any vitamin E oil capsules? If you get a small burn, after you've run cold water over it for a few minutes, you can bite a capsule open and apply the oil. If it rubs off, keep renewing it till you go to bed and you won't even get a scar. Sorry, not a herb but it works.

Have you tried mint tea made with fresh leaves? If you grow mint in your garden, try grabbing a big bunch of leaves and washing them in cold water, then steeping them in boiling water in a teapot. Delicious and fresh.

The curry plant is supposed to keep cats from using the surrounding area as a toilet. I've not had as much luck with that, but then what does keep cats off the garden?

Kaylann
Pro
Kaylann

I will have to keep that in mind about the oil capsules. I hate burns and I've tried every remedy that I've ever read of and the only one that's worked so far was the plantan leave!

Yes, I do grow mint in my garden, I have peppermint, spearmint, candy mint, chocolate mint, and catmint. If I would like to keep cats out of my garden catmint is NOT the way to go because cats LOVE catmint or some call it catnip! and I'm not that fond of cats, unfortunatly for me my sister loves them...I also have basil and I haven't used it so far, any ideas what I could use it for. It's an annual and I hate to see it go to waste...:/

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 07-25-13 08:26 AM
In response to Kaylann

How lucky you are to have herb gardens! Basil - I would make a bunch of pesto, it freezes well.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 07-25-13 08:28 AM
In response to stick

Also herb butters are an easy way to use a lot of herbs - finely mince whatever combination of herbs you like, mix it into soft butter, then use plastic wrap to roll it into a log and refrigerate. Then slice into coins and freeze. Or freeze portions in an ice cube tray. Really great to add to sauce, vegetables, on top of meat/fish/chicken/whateve r, etc.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to Kaylann

Basil? Delicious stuff! Chop and sprinkle over chopped tomatoes with fresh black pepper and a little extra virgin olive oil for the tastiest salad ever.

You can also use it chopped in white sauces with white fish.

Add to baby potatoes instead of mint for something a bit different.

Kaylann
Pro
Kaylann

I jst had some lunch n im already getting hungry again! I think I will try the salad and ice cubes. Is that all that is in the salad, tomatoes, black pepper, and extra virgin olive oil? Would jst plan olive oil work?

What do you use the herb butter for after you freeze it??

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 07-25-13 12:46 PM
In response to Kaylann

Herb butter is great wherever you'd use butter. It makes especially nice garlic bread, awesome on potatoes, just melt a dab on a cooked piece of salmon or steak, toss with steamed veggies, rub under a chicken skin before baking, add to a sauce. Very versatile.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to Kaylann

• Kaylann Said:
I jst had some lunch n im already getting hungry again! I think I will try the salad and ice cubes. Is that all that is in the salad, tomatoes, black pepper, and extra virgin olive oil? Would jst plan olive oil work?

Yes it would work fine, it's just that it isn't such a strong flavour. You can add anything else you like to the salad. The basil just goes so well with tomatoes.

Herb butter is yummy too.

Kaylann
Pro
Kaylann

I think I will def try the butter!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics