Username Post: Is it safe to leave pork chops out?        (Topic#1590689)
scrappinjan
Idol
scrappinjan

I've found a new recipe for pork chops I was going to use for dinner tonight but it says let the chops sit out for 45 minutes before cooking.

Is that safe?

Doreena
Governor
Doreena
In response to scrappinjan

I have accidently left meat out over night and still cooked it/ate it... Since neither me, nor my family, has gotten sick from it, I'd say "yes".

Juggy
Juggy 
Mayor
Juggy
  • Juggy on 09-05-13 09:34 AM
In response to Doreena

I think a lot has to do with your temperatures etc.
If you are in the southwest, and the meat is not frozen. I would say NO!

If you are in the northeast, like Michigan, where it is cooler today and the meat is cold, yes. Especially if you will cook it to temp.

45 minutes is not that long to leave something out, unless you are in hot hot temps ..

I would not eat meat left out overnight unless it was rock hard frozen ...sorry have had food poisoning and it is not something I ever care to take a chance on again.

scrappinjan
Idol
scrappinjan
In response to Juggy

OK thanks for the input, not really sure why the recipe wants the meat left out 45 minutes before cooking. It's not sitting in a marinade of anything.

I'm in the Pacific Northwest, no worries about hot weather here today.

Juggy
Juggy 
Mayor
Juggy
  • Juggy on 09-05-13 10:12 AM
In response to scrappinjan

Perhaps the cooking time is for meat starting at a warmer temp then straight from the fridge .. so if your meat is not "cold" perhaps it wouldnt be "overcooked" ...

We like to cook our steaks on the grill when they are just barely still frozen .. leaves them nice and rare in the center ... (hubby's motto is knock its horns off, wipe its arse and walk it through the kitchen...aka he likes it bloody rare.)

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics