hi ya'll!!! i am back to le you all know that i am starting my card project again for Royal Family Kids Camp, a camp for battered, neglectedand abused children. our camp is in clayton county, ga. ech week at camp all the campers receive cards with notes written by their counselors and other camp staff. i started this project here 3 years ago, and the great people here have helped me make it a wonderful project for the kids. i could not have done this by myself, each year we have donated over 1,000 cards and they are pretty much all used by the end of the week. I am posting the info below for you to read, and if you want to be a part of this worthwhile project, just post here and let me know. if you have any questions, just pm me, or post here. thanks for taking the time to read this.
My family is involved in a camp for battered, abused, or neglected children. The camp is called Royal Family Kids Camp, and it is a church sponsored camp, but we don't push anything on the children. We are just there to let them know that someone cares about them, and we treat them "Royally". There is a camp website that you can go to if you want to check out the organization; www.rfkc.org. There are many camps here in the US, and around the world. The camp that this project is for is the Clayton County, Ga camp. However, my dream is to spread this project to other RFK camps around the country, and the world.
Every day at camp, the campers receive cards from their councelors, and other staff members. I started this project in 2008, for the 2009 camp. This project couldn't happen without the caring people here at sb.com who helped make my dream a reality. At the camp in 2008, I had a idea that instead of just 3x5 cards with notes and stickers stuck on them, that it would be neat if we could have handmade cards for the staff to use for the notes to the campers. The first year, we had over 1,000 handmade cards donated, and the second year, we had about the same. The look on the camper's faces when they realized that someone who didn't even know them would take the time to make these cards for them was so special. The campers could be found at night, taking their cards and reading and talking about the cards, sharing their favorites with their cabin buddes. This project touches so many hearts who truly need to know that there are good people in the world, who want to help them,and care about them.
I will use this thread to post the names of those who sign up to participate, and will mark your namess as the cards are received. I do want you all to know that I understand that sometimes, situations change, and you may not be able to participate as planned. Please, just pm me, and let me know, and I will understand. If the shipping cost of the cards is a problem, pm me and I have some people willing to help in this area.
You will find all the information you need listed below, but if you have any questions, please post them here, on this thread, because you might ask a question that someone else has as well. But please feel free to pm me if you still have any questions not answered here.
1. The cards can be any size that works for you, but it is best if they are standard card size, or smaller. This is a great time to use up scraps..some of the cutest cards I have seen, are little...3x4 or so, when folded. Envelopes are NOT needed. We just write the campers name on the back of the card and put in the camper's cubby in the camp mailbox.
2. Please sign your name or screen name on the back of the cards, in small letters on the side or bottom of the card.
3. Mail the cards at any time, just be sure to mail them by mid june 2012 for the July 2012 camp. Please put your screen name on the package you mail them in to help me out.
mail to Rhonda Towe, P.O. Box 583, Morrow, Ga 30260
4. The cards can be any theme, girl, boy, or for either sex. Other themes can be: princess, prince, popular characters( Disney, movie characters, etc}, sports, floral, animals, etc.
We have an "Everybody's Birthday" party, so bd cards are great too. We also have a tea party for the girls, so that is a nice theme too. Also, positive words or quotes are nice too; way to go, awesome, you rock....etc. We seem to have more girl cards each year, so if you especially like boy themes, then that helps too. Your cards can be as simple or as elaborate as you want them to be. One person here sent me some valentines that were from the movie CARS, and I am going to cut them up and use them on cards this year. So, keep your creative mind alert, and you can come up with some great inexpensive ideas for your cards. Be sure to share any such ideas here to help out the others working on this projec.
5. Lastly, please help me spead the word about this project. I had a private school that made some cards that were just precious, and the campers loved that children like them, would do that for them! Think about groups you are involved with; girl and boy scouts, church groups, crop groups, schools, etc. For instance, if you have a blog, post a link about this on your blog. If you host a crop, give door prize tickets to anyone who brings or makes cards. If you sell sb products, or card making products, challenge your customers or crop attendees to make some. Please help me get this out to as many people as you can. If we get more cards than our camp can use, I wil send some to another rfk camp.
Well, I hope this isn't too much info, but I appreciate you taking the time. If you want to help, just post here, and I will add your name to the list here.
Thanks for reading, and Bless you!
********EXTRA INFORMATION; THIS YEAR'S CAMP WILL BE THE OLYMPIC THEME. OF COURSE, WE DON'T WANT ALL CARDS TO BE THE OLYMPIC THEME, BUT IT IS GREAT TO HAVE ALOT THAT ARE.
2. Sharon Elise
24. Christine 19850
31. vivian lake