Username Post: Clear vs Wood Mounted?        (Topic#1580083)
MrsD2008
Veteran
MrsD2008

I'm going to my first stampin' up party tomorrow night. I usually stick to scrap booking and if I do make cards, I use my cricut for words or embellishments and my regular supplies. I know I am going to buy a punch, but I'd like to buy a set of stamps. I haven't stamped much. Should I get the clear mounted ones of the wood ones? I'm on a budget so if I do get the clear ones, I'll have to wait to get acrylic blocks.

TheCharmedOne
Pro
TheCharmedOne
In response to MrsD2008

Usually clear stamps can be bought on budget, woodmounted are usually more expensive. Clear stamps can be bought in a set or as a single stamp. Depending on the brand, price range, clear stamps give a different image than the woodmounted ones. Woodmounted gives a very clear and crisp stamped image versus clear stamps are usually not as crisp. If you are a distresser then it doesnt mind but if you love the crisp images, then woodmounted are for you.
The acrylic blocks dont need to be expensive at all. Do buy 2 or 3 different sizes tho. Some clear stamps are very tiny and then a small acrylic block is easier to handle and with big stamps, a large acrylic block is better obviously.
Also, acrylic blocks are also needed for the cling stamps. Cling have the advantage of the crisp image that woodmounted gives and the handiness of taking up less storage space like clear stamps. I love both Cling and woodmounted but I seem to buy lots of clear stamps aswell cause they fairly cheap. Hope it helps...

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to TheCharmedOne

since you're on a budget, go with the clear stamps,,,,,,they'll give you more stamps for the same money,,,

you can use a CD case for a block until you have more $$ for the block,,,,or buy a set of 2 or 3 blocks at J's or M's with a coupon!

MrsD2008
Veteran
MrsD2008
In response to CommaHolly

Turns out I am on a tighter budget than I originally thought. Instead of buying a set of stamps with no ink or mounts, I am going to get a punch and some adhesive...

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to MrsD2008

I hate it when that happens Maybe next time!

prittb
prittb 
Diva
prittb

• CommaHolly Said:
I hate it when that happens Maybe next time!

ditto

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to prittb

I just did a blog video on clear or wood, it might help you to decide!

http://3monkeysthrowingar oundsomepaper.blogspot.com/201...

Zermeno26
Resident
Zermeno26
In response to MrsD2008

I like the clear ones, Easier to clean and store. the Wooden/block ones take up more room.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to Zermeno26

digital stamps take up NO room LOL,,,,and they're CHEAP!

DittoBabyGirl
Governor
DittoBabyGirl

I love digital stamps too! The images are always crisp plus you can make em as big or small as you want

Diva
In response to DittoBabyGirl

I use both but the clear ones makes life easier.

GIGIGI30
Expert
GIGIGI30
In response to DittoBabyGirl

• DittoBabyGirl Said:
I love digital stamps too! The images are always crisp plus you can make em as big or small as you want

Now that you mentioned, I'm trying to get into copics or color markers. I'm seriously considering Letraset Pro Markers as they are more affordable than the copics. I've been checking and downloading a few free digi stamps but wonder how do you make them big or small to print? do you use any particular program? any particular technique? I'm trying to get myself into hybrid scrapbooking since I've done a lil' bit of digi in the past. TIA

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to GIGIGI30

I use my paint program,,,,,it's easy and most computers come loaded with it,,,,

I open the image in paint,,,,then on the tool bar under FILE, I choose PAGE SET UP and adjust the percentage,,,,,if the image is way too large, I usually go with 30 to 50% of normal size,,,,sometimes, it's just 80%,,,and a few I leave at 100%,,,,,then I can do a "print preview" (under FILE as well) to see what the image would look like in comparison to the page size.

easy peasy! then just print when satisfied.

tinacome
Veteran
tinacome

Most of the time, I just use my Microsoft Word to make the images bigger or smaller.

GIGIGI30
Expert
GIGIGI30
In response to tinacome

Thanks for the reply ladies!

@ Ms. Holly: I have done exactly that. Use paint program and decrease size usually at 35% or bigger. I though I was doing something wrong or there was another technique out there that I wasn't aware of.

@Ms. Tinacome: I'll have to try Microsoft Word next time...thank you!!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to GIGIGI30

word is a great way to do it,,,,,but I don't have it on my lap top,,,,,hence the reason I use paint but if you have word, go for it!!!!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics