Username Post: postal regulation template?        (Topic#1582007)
wiccan333
Tenant
wiccan333

Does anyone who makes cards out there know if there is a template or something that shows what the postal service deems as deliverable?

An example would be if I made an envelope to hold an ATC and wanted to mail it, I could measure the envelope on the template and see that I couldn't mail it (Of course I never would, but that was the only example I could think of)

There are certain envelopes that even though they are rectangular do not meet the USPS standards for the present day 1st class stamp. Any square envelope needs to have additional postage put on it, I know.
I was just wondering if there was an easy, at home site or template I could use as a visual aid. While I am making an envelope I could put it on the template and see, "This can be mailed but will need more postage" or "This is too small to mail".

Any ideas?

catzscrapper
Pro
catzscrapper
In response to wiccan333

I got one at the PO where I used to live. She gave me one but I don't know if they sell them or just give them away. It is a plastic one a little flexible and has a slot to fit an envelope thru too to see if it need extra postage due to thickness.
I copied this info from the link I put here:

1.5 Nonmailable and Nonmachinable Placement of Address
The placement of the address on a letter-size mailpiece may render a piece
nonmailable or nonmachinable. If the length (the dimension parallel to the address)
of a letter-size mailpiece is not at least 5 inches, it is nonmailable. If the height (the
dimension perpendicular to the length) of a letter-size mailpiece is not at least 3-1/2
inches, it is nonmailable. If the aspect ratio (length divided by height) is not within 1.3
to 2.5 (inclusive), the piece is a nonmachinable letter. For example:
a. For a letter-size piece that is 4 inches by 6 inches, if the address is parallel to
the 4-inch dimension, it is 4 inches long, which is less than the minimum length
of 5 inches required in 1.2. Therefore, this piece is nonmailable.
b. Following the process in 1.1, a piece that is 5 inches by 8 inches (and within
letter-size thickness dimensions) is a letter. If the address is parallel to the
8-inch dimension, the piece is 8 inches long and 5 inches high. The aspect ratio
of this piece is 1.6, so it is a mailable letter within machinable dimensions for
length and height.
c. For a letter-size piece that is 5 inches by 8 inches, if the address is parallel to
the 5-inch (shorter) dimension, the piece is 5 inches long and 8 inches high.
The aspect ratio of this piece is 0.625, which is not within 1.3 to 2.5, so it is
mailable as a nonmachinable letter.

Mailability

^^^^^^ Above is the link
I hope some of this is helpful, but you might ask at a PO counter too. The one I got my template thingy from was a medium size PO, I know my little one here does not have them for customers tho.

Cassondra71
Guru
Cassondra71
In response to catzscrapper

Saw your post and thought I would share my soluton to your problem!! I wasn't able to get one from the po so used thier measurements and made my own!!

http://www.scrapbook.com/myplace/index.php?mod=gallerie...

Diva
In response to Cassondra71

Good to know!

wiccan333
Tenant
wiccan333

Sorry I couldn't respond sooner, Thank you so much for the help!!!

wiccan333
Tenant
wiccan333

Thanks for the help, it is DEEPLY appreciated!!

wiccan333
Tenant
wiccan333
In response to catzscrapper

Thank you so much, this is what I was looking for!

I am not looking forward to asking anyone at the post office for this. I have lived in 7 states and the clerks at our local branch are the surliest P.O. clerks I have ever met!

The clerks don't like to answer your questions and if they have to, it is monosyllable answers. Two weeks ago, I bought a money order and postage for an overnight express envelope (so my son in Norfolk could keep his power on).
The clerk asked me, "Why you need to overnight this much money?" Not that it was any of her business I had said my son needed the money. She replies with, "That boy is spoiled."
I said, "Be that as it may, I still need the money order and overnight postage!"
You may ask me why I didn't report her to the manager...she was the manager.

I think I will drive into downtown Charleston to ask them for one of these.

Thank you again for the help!!!

catzscrapper
Pro
catzscrapper
In response to wiccan333

Holy Cow!! Those postal people sound awful to speak to!!! I am Sorry you have to deal with them, tho I know some in the local town are that way to my Guy...he has tattoos but is a nice person if people are not rude to him, he has excellent manners and I asked one who was rude to him why she acted that way. she told me 'tattooed people are always rude' so I told her 'maybe they were just returning the favor!' Don't let them bother you, some people are just that way I guess, but it does not make it right by any means!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics