Username Post: Question on printing photos        (Topic#1574233)
LarasMama
New Kid On the Block
LarasMama

Hi there! I'm new to scrapbooking, which has caused my old love of photography (took it through highschool with 35mm film camera) to be rekindle. I recently purchased a Canon XSi and looove it! But know I'm a bit lost as to what I should do with printing my photos.

I currently have an older hp printer. But I was wondering what the rest of you did to print your photos? Do you have a dedicated at home printer? Or do you take your images to be printed at Black's or other places like it?

photo_chick
Diva
photo_chick
In response to LarasMama

It's usually chaper to have photos printed at a lab. I like the instant gratification of printing at home, so I use an Epson R2880 because I'm picky and want as good as lab quality of I'm going to make a print.

Mother Goose
Diva
Mother Goose
In response to photo_chick

I agree with the Epson. Their ink is archival quality. Cost more than other inks, but well worth it. I have the Epson Stylus 1400 and love it.

photo_chick
Diva
photo_chick
In response to Mother Goose

Actually all of the Epson ink is not archival, only certain lines. And the paper you use will also affect how long the ink really lasts.

LarasMama
New Kid On the Block
LarasMama

Thanks ladies! I would have never thought something diy would be more expensive to do at home other than time-wise. Maybe I will take up Black's offer of the 500 prints+free camera.

photo_chick
Diva
photo_chick
In response to LarasMama

I'm finding many DIY things end up costing more these days than having someone else do it.

I print 9 4x6 pictures on a 13x19 sheet. This gets my paper cost down. With ink prices where they are right now (up again) it's running me about 30 cents a 4x6 print. That's not factoring in the initial cost of the printer. My printer takes 9 ink tanks (4 blacks, 2 magentas, 2 cyans and yellow) that run $15 each. And it drinks ink. But it does make some gorgeous prints.

ncyankee
Queen
ncyankee

I always printed my photo's at snapfish or shutterfly -- but found I was printing so many photo's that I never planned to use.

I finally found a printer that I like for quality prints. I'm using the HP Photosmart 7515. So far so good -- and now I print as I go. Much less waste. Of course -- it's probably a trade off. I'm sure the prints cost more than if I sent them to a lab.

Oh well -- instant gratification!

LarasMama
New Kid On the Block
LarasMama
In response to ncyankee

Hm. Yeah, I think the sales rep at Black's said it was about 20 cents a 4X6, or something along those lines. And I'm not in the position to be buying a higher quality printer. I told the hubs that once I had my camera I wouldn't need anything else (which I do plan on sticking to as he rolled his eyes at me LOL--just to prove him wrong baha).

I've never heard of snapfish OR shutterfly. Are they an online thing, Elleen? Or like a kiosk that walmart has?

photo_chick
Diva
photo_chick
In response to LarasMama

Snapfish and Shutterfly are online. Another good online place is Mpix. I've used all of them and you generally get good prints.

Veteran

pc, have you ever tried continuous ink printers? Ive seen it recommended by some pro's on some photography forums and it seems interesting. They get an 8x10 sheet printed for like 10 cents after all the expenses of the ink and paper. The machines are only like $300 on ebay.

I love using my lab. $1.30 to $2.20 per 8x10 on pro paper and ink that is suppose to last between 100 and 200 years depending how you display them. Not that anyone in 100 years will be asking for their money back though.

Cross_ 
New Kid On the Block
In response to GeraldFagan

If you happen to have a Costco membership then that's the way to get good quality prints at low prices (e.g. 12x18 poster for $3.30)

For high quality prints try Adoramapix.com

For instant gratification I have a Canon Selphy 6x4 printer. Inkjets have been giving me problems because I only print every other month or so and in the meantime the ink has dried up. That's why I switched to the Selphy dye sublimation printer. Cost per photo is high but at least there is no ink to dry

photo_chick
Diva
photo_chick
In response to GeraldFagan

• GeraldFagan Said:
pc, have you ever tried continuous ink printers? Ive seen it recommended by some pro's on some photography forums and it seems interesting. They get an 8x10 sheet printed for like 10 cents after all the expenses of the ink and paper. The machines are only like $300 on ebay.

I love using my lab. $1.30 to $2.20 per 8x10 on pro paper and ink that is suppose to last between 100 and 200 years depending how you display them. Not that anyone in 100 years will be asking for their money back though.

Are you talking about a true continuous ink head, or a continuous ink system that you adapt to another type of head printer?

I like Epson's micro-Piezo heads. Continuous ink heads print fast, but they don't produce gallery quality prints. I'm not a fan of thermal heads. They have a different look to the prints.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics