Username Post: Journaling ideas        (Topic#1581565)
New Kid On the Block

I am making a scrapbook of my Grandson's life and want to incorporate journaling on each page that tells his story from my perspective. I'd like to keep the journaling consistent from page to page. Any ideas on how I can do that? The papers will change from page to page, but I'd like the journaling style to stay the same. Let's hear your neat ideas on how i can do that! Thanks! Any pictures or websites for ideas would be much appreciated too!

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to rockinrobyn

You can journal directly on the page. Or you could use the same journal spot such as a Top Note die (Stampin Up). If you used a die with a big shot to cut out, you can use any paper that matches which would keep it looking good with the page it is one, and consistant thoughout the book. You can use the whole die as a journal spot or cut some of the paper off once you have cut it out and tuck it under a photo or embellishments.

Seaside Dreams
Veteran
Seaside Dreams
In response to binkiemonstermom

My first thought was to use your own handwriting directly on the page as well. Personal, consistent, and something he will treasure one day.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 10-14-12 06:06 PM
In response to Seaside Dreams

I like to type my journalling and print it. Not big on my own handwriting, and I like being able to edit it to my complete satisfaction. Plus I can play with font sizes and margins and whatnot to make it all fit as I want it.

To keep journalling consistent for an album or a series of LO's I use the same font(s) for the whole thing (often one font for titles and a different font for journalling, I've downloaded a ton of fonts, it's a bit of an addiction, lol) and I print it on the same paper. I love using vellum for this. Also plain white cardstock because you can ink it and use border and corner punches

Make sure to use the same tense in your journalling! If you do use your own handwriting, it really helps to write it all out beforehand and do a test sample, especially if you're trying to fit it into a specific size and shape.

max28
max28 
Tenant
max28
  • max28 on 12-09-12 10:55 AM
In response to stick

Yes, I think it's very important that it's consistent. Of course it's easier when printing it ( I also do it that way), however, your own handwriting has of course a more personal touch. I would also create something like a timeline with milestones on it.
I'm curious how it will turn out, please share some pictures when you have some pages

Diva
In response to max28

I will agree!

Crafting Marfa
Veteran
Crafting Marfa
In response to bayamonesa1

I journal in my own handwriting, even though it looks like chicken scratches, because I'm too lazy to pull out the printer for a few lines. Also, I think thst it makes it more personal. My aunt passed away a few months ago. The other day I found a letter that she sent some time ago. Now it is extra special because I will never get another letter from her. It has her handwriting and it makes me feel closer to her.

mrsdriver5
Idol
mrsdriver5
In response to Crafting Marfa

I try to add a bit of my own handwriting for dates or a photo title (and I always sign and date the back of the LO), but for longer journaling, I prefer to use the printer. Watching people look at albums, they often scan over the handwritten, but will take the time to read the printed-out writing. I think it's just easier for people to read, even if a person has beautiful penmanship. I keep longer journaling in easy-to-read fonts and save the curlicues/cutesies for shorter text.

I have a wide format printer, so I often print right on the background, but I also love to use vellum. With a graphics program, it's easy to make unique writing—following shapes, varying sizes and fonts, changing colors, but I would just do that for a title. You don't want someone to have to twist a 12x12 album around, trying to read journaling that's in a circle :>) (But, of course every rule gets broken from time to time.)~Judy

ScrapperKate03
Expert
ScrapperKate03
In response to mrsdriver5

There are a few websites out there were you can make your own handwriting into a font for FREE. Its really simple and you get the font almost immediately. So it still looks like your handwriting - but with the benefits of being able to edit it on the computer.

KDQ
KDQ 
Guru
KDQ
  • KDQ on 03-17-13 04:04 PM
In response to ScrapperKate03

Hidden journaling is good because it doesn't use up much space and you don't have to worry about it being consistant.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to KDQ

I do the same thing as Stick....not a fan of my own handwriting!
You could print it out on the same paper and diecut it the same for each page so that the journalling is always the same shape....

Alison

ScrappinTraveler
Expert
ScrappinTraveler
In response to kiyawinn

Sometimes I use clear labels. . . I type them up in any size or font and just print them out. . .then I can lay it on top of any card stock or pattern paper so I don't have to worry about making it match the color or patterns :-)

wilbur
wilbur 
Expert
wilbur
In response to ScrappinTraveler

great idea! I wondered how you put your saying on photos. They look stamped but maybe they are clear labels.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics