Page 218 of 221 
Username Post: PRIME OF LIFE** age 40 and up thread**        (Topic#1359301)
Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to ScrappinTiger

Diana, how was your meetup at the show? I love meeting other sb.com'ers. You have a very good attitude about the lymphadema.

Molly, have fun with the reorganizing. We are trying to reorganize our household, but the kids keep moving in and out! I feel like I pretty much just shuffle things from one room to another, depending on who is staying with us at the time.

Christine, I hope that the part time hours come through for you. I am currently part time (32 hours a week), but am switching to full time when my youngest goes off to college, which is just a few weeks from now. I would love to keep my part time hours, but could use the extra pay for college expenses. I was spending about 6.5 hours on the road driving him to/from high school. So, I'm really only losing about 1.5 hours of free time.

oakhills
Governor
oakhills
In response to Luvmyfam

Had a fun day yesterday shopping with my dd for dgd's college campus apt. It is like setting up another household. DD is about to run out of space at her house to keep all the stuff until dgd gets to move in on Sept. 3rd. We will miss moving day as we plan to head out for Yellowstone on Sept. 1. With all the surgeries and chemo tx last year, we did not take a vacation and I am really looking forward to this one.

Our older dd and oldest dgd met us for lunch and service was so slow we had a time for a great visit!

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to oakhills

Ann, that sounds like a wonderful day. How exciting for dgd. I've always wanted to visit Yellowstone!

Sunnydi
Queen
Sunnydi
In response to Luvmyfam

Hi Jennifer: Thanks for asking about our meetup.

Char and I had met before and she met Leslie from Australia last year; this was my first time meeting her. We had fun at the show and lunch out. This is a pic our waiter took. I don't remember why we were laughing so hard...?

The Pacific NW Girls By Sunnydi

Ann - hope the vacation is good; you deserve one. I remember our home being run over with 'stuff' before daughter moved to college (and returned...hehe). How nice you got to shop with her.

I just ordered hundreds of pictures to scrap. Boy did I get behind. Haven't ordered any since last fall. I'm afraid I won't get any scrapping done until September though. I have hip surgery on the 13th and will be not so active for a bit but am hoping I can sit and scrap.

later; hope you all are well. Diana

oakhills
Governor
oakhills
In response to Sunnydi

Diana, will be praying that your surgery goes well and that you have a quick recovery. Great photo from your meeting! Looks like you really had fun.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to oakhills

Great photo, Diana! Thanks for sharing. I hope that your surgery goes well. My hip pain has 95% subsided. I'm pretty convinced that my fall down the stairs (almost a year ago) was the major pain-culprit. I feel like it's just been a slow road healing.

Guru
In response to Luvmyfam

Been doing a little bit of everything and lots of nothing lately. I sure am enjoying being alone.

Had a really gully washer yesterday evening in my area. One real loud thunder clap then the sky opened up, slow at first then it came down in torrents. Hard, blowing rain from the north for at least 30 minutes, maybe more, then it slacked off to a steady rain for another 30 minutes or so. I heard on the radio this morning that we got 2.23 inches at the airport- the official reading, and some parts of the county had 4 inches or more. I think we were part of that group as the water was ankle deep in the yard from the looks of it though I didn't do anything more than stick my head out the door for a peek.

Since I've moved into the front bedroom my poor cat had no where to hide from the thunder and lightning. He's used to hiding under my bed and can't do that now.

I must admit to being hesitant about coming downtown to the library so I could use the computer but I really needed to check in on my swaps so the hostesses don't think I've flaked. And since I've misplaced my old swap notebook I needed to write down the requirements for what I need to buy for a couple of swaps.

ScrappinTiger
Veteran
ScrappinTiger
In response to moodymolly

Not doing much of anything. My husband is counting down the days until football season starts. I am still trying to figure out a way to go part-time at my job without totally screwing up my retirement.

Decided I need to start a journal. I have so much stuff in my head...and I KNOW my husband doesn't want to hear it...that I thought if I wrote it all down then maybe I could get a better perspective on things. You know what I mean?

Any of you keep a journal? Is it like a diary or is it more like random thoughts during the day?

oakhills
Governor
oakhills

I kept one after I was diagnosed with breast cancer until I finished treatments. Really helped a lot to put my feelings on paper. Reading it over later lets me realize how much I have to be thankful for and recognize what the journey to healing was like.

Guru
In response to oakhills

Took DD's mail over to them on Sunday and got everyone out of bed. LOL We all had breakfast at McDonald's and then they were kind enough to take me to Wal Mart then home so I could get cat food and kitty litter. I can't carry those home on the bus as I buy a large bag of cat food and a 35# bucket of litter so I don't have to get these each month. In fact I haven't bought either since about March as the cat food was on sale and I bought 2 bags at the time and one bucket of litter only to get home and find I still had an unopened bucket as well as the half-full one I was using out of. With just one cat now this stuff sure lasts a lot longer and is easier on my pocket book.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to moodymolly

Christine.....my DH is counting the days to football, too. I'm looking forward to it as well. I get more scrapping done when DH is occupied. hahahahahaha......kind of like a toddler, eh?

I kept a journal long ago, but even though I hid it quite well, it was discovered by DH and feelings were hurt. He didn't understand that although I loved him, I needed someone to talk to, and that was my journal. These days I just hang out at the vent thread, lol! We spew all sorts of random vents, thoughts, and kind words on that thread. It's often more positive than negative over there.

Molly.....I can't even imagine dealing with cat food and litter on a bus! We walk to Wallies for everything, but never for those items. DD moved back home with her kitty, and her kitty makes Garfield look anorexic. We go through cat food like crazy now.

ScrappinTiger
Veteran
ScrappinTiger
In response to Luvmyfam

Funny you saying that about your husband finding the journal. I altered a composition book and "Christined" it all up and it's been sitting on my desk for a week. I have all this stuff I want to vent about and I'm so afraid to put it to paper for fear of someone reading it and taking it the wrong way. Some things are definitely best unsaid.....

I think eventually I will start writing in it.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam

Ironically, Christine, DH finding my journal was probably one the best things to happen to me. Ages ago....ages and ages ago, things were bleak in our household. I wrote that if things didn't change by the time my youngest was 18, then I would divorce DH. He read that and became furious at me. I stood up to him and said, "Well, do you blame me?". And then he did what few men ever do.....and changed! Youngest just turned 18, and our married life is better than ever and is on track.

oakhills
Governor
oakhills
In response to Luvmyfam

Jennifer, your post about your journal reminds me that all relationships depend on 2-way conversation and the journal was the avenue to get your dh to hear you and gave you the courage to face him with your feelings. Good for you! So glad your relationship is improved.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to oakhills

Thanks, Anne. The 2-way conversation makes complete sense. I tried my best to talk to DH directly, but he wasn't in a place to listen. I'm glad I used my journal as my first resort. I think we could have ended up with a broken family had I not done that.

ScrappinTiger
Veteran
ScrappinTiger
In response to Luvmyfam

Talking always helps. Sometimes it's just voices in your head, sometimes it's real. But every time it needs to be discussed. We celebrated our anniversary Friday...33 years. We have highs and lows, but we're still strong...and continue to talk things out.

The Balloon Festival was this weekend. Always fun to see balloons over the backyard while having morning coffee! And then at night, we can watch the fireworks from the front yard. It never gets old for me.

The part-time job thing may finally happen. My boss is agreeable to it and is working on it. I'd like it to happen NOW, but it may take another few weeks. I'm very happy and have already started making a list of projects I want to tackle around the house. It's a pretty long list...!

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam

Christine, congrats on 33 years! We hit 30 years in June.

What is the balloon festival?

I am switching over to full time on Aug 23rd, but I really need to be there now because my work load is very unreal. It always is this time of year, but it's worse than usual right now. But, I am needed at home, and am taking one day off a week to take care of "mom stuff".

ScrappinTiger
Veteran
ScrappinTiger
In response to Luvmyfam

The Balloon Festival is an annual hot air balloon competition that comes to Baton Rouge. The grounds are about 3 blocks from us so we get to see the take offs and landings...and the nightly fireworks display. Friday morning I watched them launch from my office on the 3rd floor.

"Mom stuff" is why I want more at home hours. Our kids are grown but they are still at home and we are all so busy that everything piles up for the weekends. I'm so tired of having to do a full out clean of my house if we invite someone over for dinner on Saturday. They are good about doing what I ask them, but it's not like when I do it.

Both my husband and I have been working since we were 13; we worked every summer and/or went to school..and then we got real jobs. I'm ready for some down time and even though we still have several more years until retirement, I think he even likes the idea of coming home to a clean house and a real meal at night!

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam

The Balloon Festival sounds beautiful. What great "seats" you have for it!

I was torn between staying at part time (32 hours a week), and going to full time. I really love the idea of being able to take care of the house and family matters in the afternoons, and then enjoying my weeknight and weekends.

What prompted me to go FT was just wanting to sock away more money for retirement while I can, and the extra money that we can use to pay for college expenses. I'm timing it so that DS leaves for college, and I go full time the next week. I knew that if I had a chance to enjoy my part time schedule with no kids, that there would be no turning back! It helps that my boss and the owners of our company really need me to be FT. They have for years and years, but have been more then happy to let me work around DS's hours. I just hope I don't regret this in another month!

ScrappinTiger
Veteran
ScrappinTiger
In response to Luvmyfam

I hope it works out for you, but if it doesn't maybe your boss might be willing to let you change your mind...again. Maybe you could work 4- 10 hour days and have one day off.

Page 218 of 221 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics