Page 219 of 221 
Username Post: PRIME OF LIFE** age 40 and up thread**        (Topic#1359301)
Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to ScrappinTiger

Thanks, Christine. I'm so buried under my workload right now, that the thought of an extra 8 hours sounds a bit relieving. Seriously.....I've been leaving work each day, grateful that I have another day to knock out more work. I must be sick, lol!

I don't think I could hack 10 hour days. I think by the time my day off comes, I'll be too drained and exhausted to enjoy it.

Eventually I'll go back to part time. Most of our close-to-retirement employees are part time. The company is great with flexibility.

oakhills
Governor
oakhills

Christine, I got to attend a balloon festival in Albuquerque, NM several years ago. It was fantastic with clear blue skies every day. They would be launching each morning as we drove down the mountain to the city so we could see them from many levels! I'd love to go again someday. Did not know there was one in Baton Rouge...that would be a much shorter drive! LOL

Jennifer, going full time may have its drawbacks now but you won't regret it when the time comes to retire.

Sharlotte
Tenant
Sharlotte
In response to oakhills

I just turned 60 so I may be too old for this thread. LOL

ScrappinTiger
Veteran
ScrappinTiger
In response to Sharlotte

Age is a state of mind...at least that's what my mother tells me and she's 93!

Will be at home for a few days; I have an upper respiratory virus and am contagious so I'll have time to watch movies and reorganize my office...for about the millionth time!

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam

Welcome, Sharlotte! And welcome to sb.c as well!

Ann, I think you are completely right about the drawbacks I may face, and that I will be very glad I did this when it comes time to retire. Financial security has always been a big thing for me.

Christine....bummer on the URV, but yay on time to watch movies and reorganize your office.

Sunnydi
Queen
Sunnydi
In response to Sharlotte

• Sharlotte Said:
I just turned 60 so I may be too old for this thread. LOL

Hey I'm older than you so don't shy away.

A local town near me has a balloon race each summer and I love going and watching them inflate and take off early. They now do what they call a "night glow" the night before the race. Lots of the racers keep their balloons full enough to be upright but not taking off and it is so pretty to see the colors and designs after dark. The kids used to love to go with us when younger.

I just returned from a quick trip to see my brother in CA and got to go to a Beverly's while there. We don't have that store here and it's always fun to see what they have.

Sunnydi
Queen
Sunnydi
In response to Luvmyfam

• Luvmyfam Said:
Welcome, Sharlotte! And welcome to sb.c as well!

Ann, I think you are completely right about the drawbacks I may face, and that I will be very glad I did this when it comes time to retire. Financial security has always been a big thing for me.

Christine....bummer on the URV, but yay on time to watch movies and reorganize your office.

Jennifer; good luck with the full time schedule.

oakhills
Governor
oakhills
In response to Sunnydi

Diana, what kind of store is Beverly's?

Welcome aboard, Sharlotte! At 65, I am probably the oldest member of this forum so you are in great company!

Christine, take care and heal quickly!

Sunnydi
Queen
Sunnydi
In response to oakhills

• oakhills Said:
Diana, what kind of store is Beverly's?

Welcome aboard, Sharlotte! At 65, I am probably the oldest member of this forum so you are in great company!

Christine, take care and heal quickly!

Beverly's is an arts and crafts store....like Michaels.

How are you feeling Ann?

ScrappinTiger
Veteran
ScrappinTiger
In response to Sunnydi

Half day today and came home and have been cleaning my kitchen/den area all afternoon. This is why I want to work less...so I can work more at home!

Sunnydi
Queen
Sunnydi

• ScrappinTiger Said:
Half day today and came home and have been cleaning my kitchen/den area all afternoon. This is why I want to work less...so I can work more at home!

1/2 days are good. I like being home also and am never bored or lack of things to do.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to Sunnydi

The half days are great. I had the entire day off today. I did lots of cleaning for DS's party tomorrow, plus did the shopping for food and cleaning supplies. It doesn't really feel like I had the day off, lol! In fact, by the end of the day, I would have rather been at work (DS was a "wee" cranky today).

ScrappinTiger
Veteran
ScrappinTiger
In response to Luvmyfam

When my husband takes a day off he does nothing...he relaxes. When I have a day off I am happy so I can get stuff done. I can't relax until all the work is done.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam

Christine, yesterday was just an uncommon circumstance for us, but I'm learning to take actual days off, instead of turning them into cleaning-fests. And with that learning comes the ability to turn a blind eye to all of the stuff that needs cleaning, lol! I wish I had a cleaning service. That would be sooooo nice.

oakhills
Governor
oakhills
In response to Luvmyfam

Had several members of the family here yesterday afternoon and evening. Made shrimp etoufee for dinner and an awesome chocolate cake from a recipe posted by retrojulie on her blog. She called it "lazy heifer chocolate cake"! My family loved it!

Dh has been such a trouper while I have been trying to reduce the lymphedema in my arm. He does lots of the cooking and almost all of the dishwashing. It's working, too, as I can now feel my elbow most days.

Everyone...enjoy your Sunday!

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to oakhills

Ann, LOL on "lazy heifer chocolate cake". It sounds intriguing. Why the unusal name?

Ann, that's great that DH is doing so much. I hope that the rest continues to work for your arm.

Today I took DS to Old Navy to buy him jeans, then we were off to Wallies to stock up on toiletries, school supplies, flash drive, stuff like that. The reality of him moving into the dorms is starting to set in. Just 2 more days at home!

ScrappinTiger
Veteran
ScrappinTiger
In response to Luvmyfam

My oldest (22) is finally moving out...and I say finally with mixed emotions. She's getting an apartment just across town with a couple of friends and this will be her first venture into independence. As much as I've been wanting her to go, there's a big part of me that wants her to stay. I guess that's just being a parent.

My son is so ready to leave that when he gets the opportunity, he will leave a dust trail out of the house. He's 18 and just started a professional NDT course and hopefully, will be working by February.

I think about the house without them in it, but it doesn't seem real. I guess because I still don't think of myself as old enough to have grown up children! But I am WAY old enough.

Maybe that's why God makes them so annoying as teenagers; it makes it easier for us to let them go. LOL!

oakhills
Governor
oakhills

The teenage years are definitely the catalyst for our letting go when they are adults (if only chronologically LOL). Surviving those years is a plus for any parent!! Soo many times as a child welfare worker, we had to tell parents, "just because they are giving you headaches as teenagers, it's not a reason for the state to take them!"

Because the university she is attending is on a quarter system, my dgd doesn't move into her campus apartment until Aug. 29th, her 18th birthday. My dd's spare room looks like a hot pink leopard exploded in it! (She is doing her bedroom in hot pink and leopard print.)

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to oakhills

My DD moved out last year......only to move back in this year. What a bother! We got used to her living outside of the house. She's not the most congenial "roommate".

I have always thought that the teenage years were God's way of helping us to let go of them, lol! Darn it, though, youngest DS has been an utter sweetiepie the last few days.

Ann, LOl on the pink leopard explosion. DS's dorm room is super small. The university actually jokes about it. They call it "cozy", and a "good way to really get to know your roommate". His room will have 2 twin beds, separated by a single nightstand. Their desks are opposite the beds. The film we saw showed two roommates, each sitting on their beds, high-fiving each other without having to stand or lean forward, lol! If DS allows, I'll have to take a photo on Wed.

Sunnydi
Queen
Sunnydi
In response to Luvmyfam

"Pink leopard explosion"....funny.

My friend always calls the nastiness some teens have just before leaving home "spoiling the nest". Makes it easier for them to leave; she says.

Both kids did it here. Our son (like yours Christine) hightailed it out 6 mos. after graduating from high school (he did trade schooling; not college). He never looked back. Daughter did college so home on breaks/summers to work and in and out twice after graduation until married in 08. 'her' room is now sewing/spare room.

We love the peace (and space) gained by them being gone.

I've got one more layout to do for Christmas '09 and then can upload them....will be glad to do another event...haha.

I'm always behind........

have a good day.

Page 219 of 221 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics