Page 220 of 221 
Username Post: PRIME OF LIFE** age 40 and up thread**        (Topic#1359301)
Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to Sunnydi

Hmmmm......I want that peace and space that you speak of Diana, lol! We thought we would have it with DS leaving, but DD moved back in, and I had to relinquish my scraproom back to her. sigh.

Last night, DS said, "I love you mom". He's just so sweet. Saying "I love you" isn't common with him. He behaves lovingly, but his Aspergers makes it so that it doesn't occur to him to say such things out loud. In his mind, he loves us, we love him, so why waste time stating the obvious, lol.

It was sad when our oldest moved out, but it was due. He was definitely spoiling the nest. When DD moved out, I was writing a check for her dorm and said to DH, "Who says that money can't buy you happiness?", LOL! That child earned an A+ in spoiling the nest.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to Luvmyfam

Bumping to the top!

DS has been at college for a week. So far, so good. He's making friends, joining clubs, and working out a few tricky situations. One of his teachers was ready to drop half the class becuase the school didn't forward the qualifications. I had to quickly scan his transcript and email it to him, so that he can show his teacher that he indeed got a B+ in pre-calc. Hopefully he gets that worked out!

Otherwise, he's really enjoying the college life and is doing wonderful! Still holding my breath......but so far, so good. Yay!

ScrappinTiger
Veteran
ScrappinTiger
In response to Luvmyfam

My daughter is moving out tomorrow. I've already picked out new furniture for her room! She's ready and we're ready, too. I'm a bit worried that once she's gone she will realize that she doesn't have any animals around her. She's never known a day without pets...and she is very attached to one of our cats...and he to her. It will be an adjustment for both of them!

oakhills
Governor
oakhills
In response to ScrappinTiger

I like that saying, "spoiling the nest". It is so what most teens/young adults do to make parents ready to help them pack and GO!

Guru
In response to oakhills

Tuesday I went by my DD's and brought the 4 yr. old home with me for an overnight visit. She had fun and the cat about drove her nuts wanting her to pet him. LOL I guess he didn't mind being drug around the house by the girls as much as I thought he did. I've decided to bring the girls over one a week to spend the night with me and then take them home the next day. I'll bring the older ones on Friday after they get out of school and then have them back before their father picks them up at 2:00pm on Saturday afternoon. I can get the 4 yr. old during the week like I did this week as she's not in school yet. Wednesday morning she and I had breakfast at McDonald's, got a sausage biscuit and hash browns each and shared a large soda, spent a whole $3.25 on it, including tax. I love there dollar menue and the fact that for most of the year I can get a large soda for $1.08, that's including tax. I guess once the soda's go back to regular price I'll just buy a small and make more trips to refill it. Think I'll sit closer to the fountain so I won't have to walk so far. Am I lazy or what? Their dollar menu allows me to eat out about once a week without spending a fortune. I also hit up Jack In The Box occasionally and get a burger off their dollar menu. Most of the places I'd like to go cost too much. I keep forgetting that on Tuesday morning I can hit the buffet at Shoney's and get $1.50 off becuause I'm a senior. Also, the Luby's cafeteria near me has a weekend breakfast buffet for $4.99 that I may try if I ever remember it.

I hit up the "Freebie" shelves here at the Central Library on Wednesday and carted home about 20 cookbooks. I checked them out again today and found some books for the granddaughters that I'm going to keep for them to read when they visit me.

Sunnydi
Queen
Sunnydi
In response to Luvmyfam

• Luvmyfam Said:
Bumping to the top!

DS has been at college for a week. So far, so good. He's making friends, joining clubs, and working out a few tricky situations. One of his teachers was ready to drop half the class becuase the school didn't forward the qualifications. I had to quickly scan his transcript and email it to him, so that he can show his teacher that he indeed got a B+ in pre-calc. Hopefully he gets that worked out!

Otherwise, he's really enjoying the college life and is doing wonderful! Still holding my breath......but so far, so good. Yay!

Jenn: great report about your son. It's a time of so many emotions and happenings for them.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam

• ScrappinTiger Said:
My daughter is moving out tomorrow. I've already picked out new furniture for her room! She's ready and we're ready, too. I'm a bit worried that once she's gone she will realize that she doesn't have any animals around her. She's never known a day without pets...and she is very attached to one of our cats...and he to her. It will be an adjustment for both of them!

I had the same concern for my daughter. After a few months in her own, she smuggled a cat into her apartment. A couple months after that, she moved back home......with the cat!

ScrappinTiger
Veteran
ScrappinTiger
In response to Luvmyfam

Oh no! Stop it! I've tried to reiterate that she is now in a relationship with her roomies and the landlady for one year!

She's already said they'll probably find some stray cat hanging around and adopt it. I give it 3 months and they'll have one.

I'm sure she missed Lucky last night. She was all moved in and her roomies weren't so she spent her first night in her new place alone. No Lucky cat!

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam

Our cats are going nuts with DS2 being gone. He was home all summer, at their beck and call. There as been a lot of cat fights this week, and I can't go anywhere without one or two or three of them following me. I can always tell when DD is home, because then I only have 2 following me.

Dianeaslm
Pro
Dianeaslm
In response to Luvmyfam

Well ladies, I thought I would check out this forum since I certainly fit the age requirement. To Luvmyfam I would have to say AMEN to the maid!!!! It appears that I do not have a lot in common with most people on this thread but I will be checking back once in awhile to see what everyone's up to.

Guru
In response to Dianeaslm

Jen I am thankful I've only got one cat. When I bring a GD home for a visit he drives her nuts begging for attention. LOL Guess I don't give him enough "tummy time" as I call it when he lays down on my tummy and I pet him.

Ladies I just joined Soldier's Angels and adopted a soldier. The requirements are simple, send one letter a week and a care package a month. I was in hopes I'd get a lady soldier but I'm not picky I may see if I can adopt a second, female soldier at the beginning of next year. If any of you are interested just go to SoldiersAngels.org and sign up. There are over 2000 soldiers waiting to be adopted.

Guru
In response to moodymolly

Oh yes, I forgot to mention it's RAINING!! Tropical storm or hurricane, I'm not sure which, hit during the night and we're expecting the rain to continue at least through Thursday. I'm staying home tomorrow to work on a couple of swaps but will be going out either Thursday or Friday to put them in the mail.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam

Hi Dianeaslm! Welcome! This thread moves slowly, but sometimes the speed picks up.

Molly, that is sweet of you to adopt a soldier. Good luck with your storm. I've read about it online. Enjoy your time off!

Youngest DH came home yesterday for a visit.....and brought all his laundry, lol! He took the train home and texted me, enroute, "I call the washer and dryer", ha ha ha. He did his own laundry, and we took him out to dinner. He's doing just wonderful! Better than we could have ever dreamed. Classes are great, he's loving college life, and he's making lots of friends. he's have a great time and looks good. Yay!!

oakhills
Governor
oakhills
In response to Luvmyfam

Got home last night from our vacation. We traveled through 12 states going to and from Yellowstone National Park with many stops along the way. I am eager to print some photos and start scrapping the journey! We were gone for 16 days...had planned to stay last night in Tulsa, OK but decided we were ready to get home so drove all the way from Salina, KS.

I am behind with all your news so will try to catch up over the next couple of days between loads of laundry!! LOL

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to oakhills

Welcome back, Ann! Sounds like a whirlwind trip. I can't wait to see your layouts!

ScrappinTiger
Veteran
ScrappinTiger
In response to Luvmyfam

Ann, my husband and I want to get an RV when we both retire and travel around. I think that would be such fun!

Looks like I will definitely be leaving my hideous job the first week of January...possibly the last week in December. I will have the required time for state retirement benefits and then I can quit.

I'm excited, but 68 more days is like hell. Things are not getting better...but I am lucky to be able to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

As expected, my daughter got a cat...a tiny kitten someone dumped off. So, she has a pet and now she has an added expense. Hopefully I won't get stuck with another cat down the line!

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam

Christine, you'll be leaving your job? I thought you were wanting to just go part time. I feel so fortunate that I work for a good company. I hope that your 68 days go fast.

We're still squashing cat fights here with DD's cat that she brought home. Oldest DS called yesterday asking if he can bring home a dog that he is housesitting....just for the weekend. We said, "NO!!!!" . I think we might have said, "you're crazy", too, but I'm not completely sure, lol!

oakhills
Governor
oakhills
In response to Luvmyfam

Christine, I would love to have a RV for traveling but DH does not want to drive one. I really appreciated his feeling about it when we were in the mountains! I get queasy in a car on some of those roads and I cannot imagine being in a motor home or pulling a trailer on some of the roads to get to the places you want to see. I am retired from LA state service. I did the DROP program but left 6 mo. shy of the 3 years for the program...got fed up with regulations and decided, "I don't have to do this anymore. I can go to the house!"

Our recently acquired stray dog became a neighborhood visitor while we were gone. Our dd lives next door and they fed her while we were away. Even though they only fed her at our house, she decided she liked it at their house. Can't blame her...they have a mini-Australian shepherd and two puppies (that someone "threw away" on the roadside) for her to play with. Now she comes home every afternoon to eat, get some loving and treats, then goes back to sleep at their house!

Guru
In response to oakhills

Is anyone here a Dave Ramsey fan? I'm trying to do a budget that gives every penny of my income a name, as he suggests, and would love some help and advice. I just don't have the money to spend on his program no matter how much I would like to buy the online Financial Peace Univeristy.

Got a kitten on the 10th! DD was given one and since they can't have pets I wound up with her. I did get a small bag of kitten food from them as she, the kitten, was having trouble chewing the Meow Mix I feed Mr.B, my grown tom.

Guru

While crossing Main Plaza this morning I had a lady stop me for directions. After helping her out I found out she's from Modine, Israel! She said it's a fairly new town, only 17 years old, and sits about midway between Jerusalem and Tel Aviv which she likes as she works in both cities. She's basically doing the tourist thing around downtown on foot. Strangely enough I see a fair amount of that if the person is not American. Very few Americans like to walk great distances. I love to walk but admit I don't do as much as I probably should, just the half-mile to the closest bus stop then that same distance on the way home again.
I need to get back to the Y where I can ride the recumbent bike again. Doc has said "no" to me using a treadmill as it's worse on my hips than the recumbent bike, I guess because it's done while standing.

Page 220 of 221 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics