Page 221 of 221 
Username Post: PRIME OF LIFE** age 40 and up thread**        (Topic#1359301)
oakhills
Governor
oakhills
In response to moodymolly

Want to share my first vacation layout:

Fort Smith, AR By Oakhills

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to oakhills

OK, Molly.....who is Dave Ramsey, and what is a recumbant bike?

DH and I love walking when we are on vacation. We live in the suburbs, and there are very few things within walking distance. We love being in a city where you can walk to restaurants and attractions.

Off to check out Ann's lo

Guru
In response to Luvmyfam

Dave Ramsey is an author and has a call-in financial radio show. His books are "Financial Peace, Financial Peace Revisited, and Total Money Makeover. He has what he calls "7 Baby Steps" to becoming debt free without paying someone else to negotiate with your creditors and the like. According to him the paid off home mortgage is becoming the status symbol instead of a BMW. One of his things is what he calls a "beans and rice, rice and beans" diet while paying off your "debt snowball. He has a 13 week course of classes called Financial Peace University where his baby steps are taught. Many times the classes are held at churches as he is a Christian and not ashamed to quote the Bible. Just go to either daveramsey.com to check it out. I've never taken his course but I have read all three books and if you've got the self-discipline I think a person could follow the program just by reading and following the advice in his books.
I'm looking for two people to volunteer at his next live event here so I can get a "$10 floor table" where I will seen and here all of his talk. He sells his books, software and so on for $10 each and I really enjoyed my work this past March. Because the floor tables can be reached quicker than the other tables they stay very busy and that's why 3 people are needed to man each one. In exchange for volunteering you get a voucher for one free $10 item or $10 off a higher priced item such as his beginners kit and so on; you also get an ivy green "Financial Peace Live" tee shirt to wear as you work your assigned place, a free box lunch, and after everything is packed up a free dinner that Dave attends.

A recumbent bike is one where you sit down and pedal with your legs straight out in front of you instead of hanging down. I've seen some on the street here but I don't think I'd feel safe on one of those as being on a regular bike is dangerous enough so I think I'll stick to the ones used strictly in a gym setting. Not sure why but both a physical therapist and my Rheumatologist told me it is better for me as it's easier on the hips and knees than a treadmill. I'm guessing it's because the seat holds your weight, not your legs.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam

Thanks for the info, Molly.

I saw a recumbant bike today in a nearby town. Some guy was riding it all over downtown, and it was holding an advertisement banner. It looks awkward to peddle. I can see it putting less stress on my hips, but I wonder if it puts stress on the lower back?

Guru
In response to Luvmyfam

It might if you were out on the streets but I have no trouble with mine when I use the one at the Y. Just try it and see how it feels.

Guru

Sure is quiet on this thread, where are you ladies?

ScrappinTiger
Veteran
ScrappinTiger

I am here! I have been very busy lately with lots of stuff at home and work...for both my husband and myself. Things going good.

We just returned from a work/vacation in Pensacola. It was wonderful! The weather was excellent and the beaches were beautiful. We're thinking that October might be our new vacation time.

Temperatures are dropping a bit here in the mornings and at night. Still pretty warm during the day, though.

LSU still winning, but that may end today.

Still counting down the days to retirement although things have changed at work a bit for the better. But not enough to make me stay!

Hope everyone is enjoying the weekend. We're fixin' to get our grill on for the game. Geaux Tigers!

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to ScrappinTiger

I'm here! This thread does seem to ebb and flow.

Molly, I'll have to give a recombant bike a try if I ever get the chance.

Christine, I love Sept - early November for vacations. We haven't taken vacation time off for that time period then since before the kids started school, back in the 80's, lol!

It's raining here....so no grilling for the game. We're watching the 49ers, and we're losing. But, that's rather common for us! But.....the Giants are going to the World Series. Woot!

Went to a crop yesterday and had a great time. I only finished one layout, but got started on another, and nearly finished 3 projects. One was very large. I have to wrap stuff up by doing messy stuff (stickles, paint, etc). I prefer doing that stuff at home, rather than having to transport half-dried stuff in my car.

Edited by Luvmyfam on 10-24-10 11:19 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

oakhills
Governor
oakhills
In response to Luvmyfam

My scrapbooking has come to a halt for a few weeks. I am back in therapy for the lymphedema in my right arm...trying to get it under control before it gets out of control. The wrapping seriously limits creative work since it is definitely my dominate hand/arm.

Enjoying cooler temps here today...mid-70. Hope it is here to stay!

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to oakhills

Ann, That must be so frustrating.

We're rainy again this weekend. It's as if we went right from Spring to Winter. No Summer or Fall for us. I can't complain, though, we had dozens of 70-degree weather days this summer. That's my fav temp!

Guru
In response to Luvmyfam

Ladies I have wonderful news. My daughter had her fourth daughter last Thursday. Marie-Honor Evangeline was born 11-11-10 at 12:34pm, weighed in at 8 lbs. 9 oz, and was 20" long. She's got dark hair and eyes like her momma and daddy. They went home on Saturday, weren't thrown out the same day like so many hospitals do. She'll really stand out among her sisters since they are all blue-eyed blonds. LOL

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam

Congrats, Molly! That is a beautiful name.

ScrappinTiger
Veteran
ScrappinTiger
In response to Luvmyfam

Congratulations Molly!

Hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving! I just finished Christmasing up the house and am not looking forward to going back into work tomorrow after being off a week.

I will start the baking frenzy next weekend, which is something my family always looks forward to because I rarely bake during the year.

Not too much talk going on, but I'm sure things will pick up when winter starts to keep us inside.

KymmLisa
Tenant
KymmLisa
In response to Vivian loves BLING

This is hysterical! I love it!

KymmLisa
Tenant
KymmLisa
In response to IamSamScrapper

Okay you've all made me feel old in here, not really because I've never been hung up on numbers. It's all in how you feel, so I feel 30, but my birth certificate says I'm 52! I'm in the process of my 2nd divorce and I have two grown children, daughter 30, son 26 and 3 amazing grandchildren, 7, 5, and 2! I had a freak waterskiing accident 30 years ago and because of this accident have had over 12 spinal surgeries and numerous other procedures. I live in severe chronic pain and scrapbooking and cardmaking help to take my mind off my problems. I don't look at the bad things I've been through, and there are many, I know I am blessed to be walking, so I concentrate on that! I'm preparing for another 2 level surgery in late Dec., so I've been working like a madwomen to get all my New Year's Eve and family birthday's cards done before I go in.

I love life and my two miniature dachshunds who are a great comfort. They seem to know when I'm having a bad day and lay with me just to let me know they care. Nothing like a dog to let you know there is such a thing as unconditional love!

Can't wait to get to know all you youngins! Any questions, concerns or just having a bad day, I'm hear and I've been there many times. Glad to be here with all of you!

Resident

Hi there! I a m41 but act like maybe 20ish! lol! I recently got a job at a day care center in town, but due to damage from Hurricane Sandy, have not been able t oeven start! Looking to ge into physical therapy. I am single, and have a daughter, Brianna who just turned 7 last Saturday. I have arthritis in both knees and bursitus in my left ankle. Thankful it is the left ankle, I can still drive. I am a confesssed wino, and Ilove to cook!! Iam also pretty sure I a mperi menopausal . Love this thread!

Diva

54 years old, separated from husband after he left us after 25 years of marriage. Three daughters, Lorna (26) with 7 months baby boy- single mom, Deborah 25 yrs, single mom with 4 yrs boy and Sarah (22) no kids. Love been a grandma of 2 boys, but not much energy to deal with both at the same time! Love to scrap and faith booking. Both parent alive but needing more attention. Love my life, but not the aches and pains. Slower in moving now, but it is part of life and aging! Battleing Colon Cancer stage IV, keeping a very positive attitude and trusting God in everything!

Page 221 of 221 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics