Page 9 of 12 
Username Post: Book of Me - Ideas and Inspiration!        (Topic#1374780)
Scrappetizer
Veteran
Scrappetizer
In response to ghall

I am new to scrapbooking - just started in February. I surf the internet a lot in order to learn what others are doing. When I first realized that people were scrapping about themselves, I was thrilled. Not so much because of my own needs and wants, but because it means that people (women) are creating visual memoirs that document our way of life from a first person point of view. While it isn't *entirely* new in the history of the world, it is new in the sense that we have access to much better tools that let us document ourselves and our families and at a volume that wasn't previously possible. People who scrap themselves are adding to the ongoing documentation of who we are, how we live, what we do, and how we think. I think this is a phenomenon that is much under rated. If someone uncovered our society a thousand years from now I hope the volume of BOMs recovered is far greater than any of those celebrity rag magazines! The picture of who we were would be so much better, don't you think?

ghall
ghall 
Diva
ghall
  • ghall on 05-07-09 07:21 AM
In response to Scrappetizer

I like your take on the historical aspect of the BOM. Actually, scrapbooking in general has a historical significance. I'm always mindful of that when I am cropping photos. Things in the background like cars or signs may not be significant to the photo, but they show future generations what life was like for us now.

TammyLin
Diva
TammyLin
In response to ghall

Never thought of it that way Gail...perhaps I won't cut so much out of the photo in the future.

ghall
ghall 
Diva
ghall
  • ghall on 05-08-09 10:21 AM
In response to TammyLin

You could be cutting away history! I like looking at old photos & seeing that old stuff. It shows what life was like back in the day...

BranDiva
New Kid On the Block
BranDiva
In response to ghall

I'm having such a ball creating my BOM. I started it for my daughters...so they'd know who their mom was in the event that...well...you know. But I'm actually learning so much about myself doing it. And since this is Teach a Friend to Scrapbook month, I'm helping my gal pals to start their own.

6PackScrapper
Veteran
6PackScrapper
In response to Kalamela

These are fantastic ideas! I made some layouts and used Teresa Collins Family Collection pages- they are fun to fill in!

Edited by 6PackScrapper on 07-09-09 10:51 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Tina scraps
Governor
Tina scraps
In response to 6PackScrapper

love some of these topics, will have to give them a go myself. I've been doing a BOM for a while but can always use new ideas to give a better view of who I am/who I was to people.

bullylover
Expert
bullylover
In response to Kalamela

Great idea! I want to make one for my mom who will turn 60 in August.

pistachio
Veteran
pistachio
In response to bullylover

I keep a small album next to my bed and it is my "Make Me Happy, Make Me Smile" album (that is on the title page). The album is full of photos of people, places and things that make me happy or puts a smile on my face. The photos range from my parents high school pics to some of my baby pics to pics from my wedding. This was a very moving album to make.

flhomeschoolmom
Resident
flhomeschoolmom
In response to Kalamela

I am so glad that I stumbled upon this post! I had a lot of scrapbooks and memory books from my years of growing up. But they are gone now...house fire destroyed most of them and a tornado destroyed the rest. I have been contemplating doing one of these books to attempt to replace all I lost. I know I'll never have exactly what I had before, but this post has given me a lot more ideas. Up until now the only ideas I had were:

(1)When and Where I was born
(2)My birth parents
(3)My little sisters (we have diffrent parents...one of my sisters and myself have the same mom, the other and I have the same father)
(4)My little brothers (we have diffrent parents...one of my brothers and myself have the same mother, the other and I have the same father)
(5)My grandparents (they raised me, and only me)
(6)Elementary school (the school, town, memories, etc.)
(7)Middle School (the school, town, memories, etc.)
(8)Highschool (the school, town, memories, etc.) but this one will be broken down into four other catagories that occured during my highschool years..."My NOT Sweet 16", "Sophomore Cancer and Chemo", "My Medical Crisis Sr. Year", and "Graduation"
(9)"Country Meets Metal at a Rodeo"--How I met my husband
(10) "Motherhood At Last"--The birth of my Oldest Son
(11) The loss of my grandfather
(12) "It's a Miracle"--I'm a Mommy Again--the birth of my youngest son
(13) "Homeschool and the 2004 Hurricane Season"--My family's first year of homeschooling and a LOT of hurricanes hit us!!
(14) "Bye Bye Battleship"--A tornado hit my house!!!

I hadn't thought about adding my interests, hobbies, music, movies, etc.

Thanni
Thanni 
Guru
Thanni
In response to pistachio

• KingMemories Said:
I keep a small album next to my bed and it is my "Make Me Happy, Make Me Smile" album (that is on the title page). The album is full of photos of people, places and things that make me happy or puts a smile on my face. The photos range from my parents high school pics to some of my baby pics to pics from my wedding. This was a very moving album to make.

This is a great and sweet idea. I think it should be one of my near-future projects

tina0319
New Kid On the Block
tina0319
In response to Thanni

I just stumbled upon this thread......kinda by accident! There's a GREAT challenge going on for this topic at Hummie's World
http://www.hummiesworld.com/Forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93
Love to have anyone that's interested in it join in

lgcsmallwood
Veteran
lgcsmallwood
In response to Kalamela

OK, WHAT IS A BOM. I HAVE BEEN SCRAPBOOKING FOR ALMOST 2 YEARS, BUT DON'T KNOW ALL THE LINGO.

lgcsmallwood
Veteran
lgcsmallwood
In response to Kalamela

Ok, I found out what a BOM is. I did one last year. Startted from birth to high school graduation. I postted in my gallery.

Edited by lgcsmallwood on 11-15-09 08:26 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

inkielady
Resident
inkielady
In response to Kalamela

My favorite idea for mine... is letter to a teenage me.

The idea was inspired by the smoking ad's that have been on TV lately with the people writing letters to themselves to help them quit smoking.
Love the idea....

Mariacv
Idol
Mariacv
In response to Kalamela

Thanks for this forum! Is really difficult for me to scrap about me and all your ideas are great!

RobinVoak
Resident
RobinVoak
In response to Kalamela

Wow...there are some great ideas! I'm currently working on one from when I left home at 19 going into the Air Force to now (almost 40)...what was important to me then and what's important to me now. I was so worried about small silly stuff. I'm much more confident now. I'm even including other changes such as music, food, goals etc.

flutterbye0419
Diva
flutterbye0419
In response to RobinVoak

while these are all great ideas, does anyone have a great title page idea? i love several of the ideas and will be incorporating them into my album, but I am looking for an over the top totally rocking cool idea for a title page for my bom. i am just starting it and will be adding the "these hands" page to it as i get closer to that part of my book, but i just need to get the title just perfect for me.

IHGirl
IHGirl 
New Kid On the Block
IHGirl
In response to flutterbye0419

wow what great ideas for a BOM. I always wanted to do one and didnt know where to start, now thanks to you all I have so many ideas running thru my head

New Kid On the Block
In response to Kalamela

This looks like a great place to get ideas for the "Me" scrapbook. I just now found this page and it just may motivate me to get going on mine again.
Thank you one and all.
Maureen

Page 9 of 12 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics