Username Post: sizzix vs. cricut        (Topic#1376481)
Sissimama
Tenant
Sissimama

I'm a little behind the times bc I haven't been scrapping on a regular basis for... oh... ever. Over a year, at least. Anyhow...I am considering getting a Sizzix machine. Then today I heard about the Cricut machine. I looked it up and felt my heart hurting, I wanted to get it so badly, but refrained.

SO... pros and cons to the Sizzix and the Cricut anyone? If you had neither (like me), which would you invest your money in? I understand how the Sizzix works but does the Cricut work as well as it looks on their website?

Bellanca
Guru
Bellanca
In response to Sissimama

I invested in a sizzix shortly after AC Moore opened in my area. They mail out 40 or 50 %off Coupon s weekly. I felt that this discount let me justify the expense. Well, shortly after I bought the sizzix, I became interested in the Cricut because I was frustrated with my lack of letters and I didn't want to pay so much for a single alphabet for the sizzix.

I ended up buying the Cricut for 40% off. I like that it comes with a cartridge with alphabet and shapes right off the bat. I could easily just use the cartridge that comes with it. The blades and mats appear to be cheaper than other electric die cut systems that I looked into. It would also be much easier to take the Cricut and a few cartridges with me should I crop elsewhere - were I to collect more Sizzix cartridges it would get unwieldy quickly.

I had to wait for about 5 weeks for my Cricut. I have joined a Cricut users group on Yahoo and that has helped with ideas and resources.

Something to consider is that the major box stores , at least that I have access to, are beginning to partially or completely restrict the use of weekly Coupon s for Cricut products. I was told this week that even AC Moore will be limiting Coupon use to accessories only by what should be a reliable source, but the yahoo group members are reporting rumors of the cartridges being excluded as well. There are some pretty good sources online for getting Cricuts - I can PM you the best one I have heard of if you wish.

Cartridges cost $90, which is cheaper than the Sizzix alphabets, usually include upper and lowercase and extra features as well. Anything on the cartridge can be made in 1, 1 1/4, 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3, 3.5, 4, 4.5, and 5 inch sizes, which is a flexibility the Sizzix doesn't have. The offside is that because of some changes at the Sizzix company, it is very easy to find Sizzix equipment deeply discounted at this point.

I am thrilled I have my Cricut. There are several more cartridges rumoured to be released this fall - I look forward to seeing what those look like.

rtolin
rtolin 
Veteran
rtolin
In response to Sissimama

I would say, if you had niether, cricut would be the way to go. It is versatile with the sizing of letters and the alphabets are cheaper (although, you can get sizzix regularly for 40% off). Also, seems like the lettering would be easier with cricut b/c you don't have to stick every die in for every letter. There may be more shapes available for sizzix, so if shapes are your thing, it may be the way to go. Also, they are changing their logo now and you can get the dies pretty cheap right now, don't know about the machine.

Just my two cents.

BTW, I have sizzix and a sidekick, but I am hoping on getting the cricut for my bday or Christmas!

GrandmaG
Mayor
GrandmaG
In response to Sissimama

Well I have Sizzix and Sizzix Sidekick and love them both. I've seen Cricut and Wishblade side by side in a demo at a LSS, and I'm saving up for the Wishblade . The cost of fonts, and replacement blades has me sold on the Wishblade . I don't attend many crops so being portable doesn't matter to me. I don't have any of the Sizzix fonts because I thought they were too expensive for a set. The Sizzix cuts through chipboard, and other heavyweight papers that Cricut can't and neith can the Wishblade . The Wishblade you can use your computer true type fonts with. Now I have tons of those, and won't need to ever purchase anything but blades and mats. I hope I didn't confuse you.

janellie
Diva
janellie
In response to GrandmaG

I vote for the cricut. I have the sizzix diecut machines, but the cricut has more variety on sizes to make the cute. I've gotten my cartridges at Michaels when the have been on sale.

Sunnydi
Queen
Sunnydi
In response to Sissimama

I'm saving for a Wishblade . I have a sizzix and do like it a lot because I can cut thicker stuff..

wimom 
Resident
  • wimom on 08-19-06 07:54 PM
In response to Sissimama

I have a Sizzix, was thinking about getting a Cricut, but now am leaning toward a Wishblade . I use my Sizzix a lot, but if a was buying now I would go with the Cricut or Wishblade . The Sizzix would be cheaper initially with Coupon s at Michaels or other stores. However, I'm afraid it is being phased out by Ellison, which recently bought out the Sizzix brand. Ellison's new machine is the Big Shot. The Sizzix can't cut the thick Big Shot dies, so I'm afraid there won't be many or any new dies coming out for the Sizzix. The Sizzix is not very portable. The Cricut would be more expensive than the Sizzix since Coupon s apparently no longer can be used to buy the Cricut. However it allows you to cut alphas in a variety of sizes and configurations (shadows, etc.) It also is more portable that a Sizzix. The Wishblade would be the most expensive initially, but in the long run would be cheaper, I think, because you don't have to buy cartridges (you can used fonts already on your computer). It also cuts in a variety of sizes. It is not portable and must be hooked up to your computer. So what's right for you depends on how much you want to spend, whether you need portability and how comfortable you are working on the computer. Have fun deciding!

ShoppingMom
Diva
ShoppingMom
In response to wimom

I love my Sizzix. Then again I dont like the real intricate cut diecuts. I use my sizzix mostly for large things like dolls, pumpkins, etc. Love cuttin chipboard too.

The alphas can be gotten cheap. Many online boards have them for $30 and I get the Accucut Alphabets (you can use these in sizzix) at our LSS annual tag sale for $10.

Depends on the $ you want to pay and what you use it for

scrapbookin nurse
Guru
scrapbookin nurse
In response to Sissimama

I have a Sizzix, I love it! I don't know much about the other one but I guess I'll have to look into it. I bought my Sizzix on e-bay brand new as well as all my alphabets and dies that I have, they were way cheaper than buying them in the stores even with Coupon s. I would suggest checking out e-bay on either machine to check what's selling. Good Luck in your choice.

Ellie

married05
Idol
married05
In response to scrapbookin nurse

I'm thinking of getting a cricut at some point, but they're still so high priced. Plus, I've never tried it, so I'm not positive I would like it. I'm planning on going to Archivers or Cord Camera and trying different machines to see which I like better. I know as long as you buy paper from places like that, you can use their machines for free.

sharpwmu
Idol
sharpwmu
In response to married05

I have both and do love them but I love my cricut more. You can do so much more with it and with the fonts.

Sissimama
Tenant
Sissimama
In response to GrandmaG

So many things to think about! As far as what I think I might use with either machine...My big thing is tags right now. I love tags! Not so much letters and words but maybe bc I don't have any to use. Can't really 'miss' what I don't actually 'know.' The point about having to change the die out for each thing you want cut sounds like a definite drag. And storing all those dies... I'm running out of room as it is!

SheilaWV
Mayor
SheilaWV
In response to Sissimama

qvc has it for 259 but you also get an additional cartridge only available thru them included, so you get 2 instead of 1

Amandalea
Idol
Amandalea
In response to SheilaWV

I don't think anyone mentioned the Xyron version of the cricut...the personal cutting system...you might want to compare that one to the cricut. It is a little cheaper.

What is out there;
-Machines like sizzix where you physical apply power to cut and buy individual dies and alphas.
-Remote die cutters that cut for you, but you have to buy cartridges. ~These two are transportable.~
Machines that interface with your PC and you really have no need to buy cartridges.

Price range from $40-1000+ for machine and dies/cartridges from $5-200+

Just figure out what you want, what you think you can grow into but not outgrow (so you don't end up with a sizzix and then wanting a Wishblade later) AND of course, what you are willing to pay. Availibility, possible use of Coupon s for future upgrades, maint. cost. and customer support.

(my opinion get a Wishblade )

Evenight001
Veteran
Evenight001
In response to Amandalea

i have both and i love them. the cricuit is great and overall you get more bang for your bucks...because on cartiridge wheither its $45 or 89. Is cheaper than a complete set of sizzix alpha. plus you usually get six alphas in 11 sizes.

Sizzix and other diecuts allow you to cut from other material such as chipboard, foam, fabric and even metal.

Cricut is easier to carry and more compact. And its easy to type in words and hit go.

Cricut is an electronic machine and some part could go wrong and then you wasted alot of money.

So its all about what you want and can afford.

anthonysgirl
Governor
anthonysgirl
In response to Evenight001

I personally like the sizzix because there are so many options. You have so many different alphas, shapes, and different things you can cut and it cuts through so many materials. My vote is for sizzix!

ShoppingMom
Diva
ShoppingMom
In response to anthonysgirl

I too love sizzix. i've used the cricut, Wishblade and pazzles at LSS an I still love my sizzix

TameraJJ
Veteran
TameraJJ
In response to ShoppingMom

I have the pazzles machine and love it! I had the Wishblade but it was soooo loud and much harder to deal with than the pazzles. With pazzles you can cut any font on your computer, so you don't have to buy cartridges. They also have cd's you can purchase with tons of diecuts or you can create your own by scanning in a picture. I cut tags, letter tags you can run ribbon through, simple waves or circles. You can cut in any size and weld things together. You can also cut chipboard and metal! It's the best! I couldn't scrap without it. It may be more expensive in the beginning, but when you add in all the cartridges/dies you would have to buy with the others, it'll be cheaper in the end. Buy a font cd for 35 and you have like 60 new fonts you can cut.

live4scrappin
Expert
live4scrappin
In response to TameraJJ

I have both a Sizzix and a Cricut. Now the Cricut has more versatility than the Sizzix. The font cartridges come with a font, shapes, and sentiments. You can also cut any words you like. Now the Sizzix is a SB classic. I love my sizzix too. But now Ellison has come out with the Big Shot machine. That can use Sizzix dies, so you might want to take that into consideration.

And like someone else said the Cricut cannot cut Chipboard. This weekend i have had a blast making chipboard embellishments with my Sizzix.

I don't think I can choose sorry. My advice would be to purchase a Cricut, then buy a used Sizzix. I hear people are getting them for $20 on the online site. And all there dies are on sale everywhere.

Cheyenne48
Tenant
Cheyenne48
In response to live4scrappin

I love my Sizzix... Shop around on the internet for great deals. Ellison has just acquired the Sizzix name/rights, and all the former die cuts are being sold out at 55% or more off! Check out Sizzix.com and Creative Xpress.com for great deals! Cricut is too detailed for me, and the cartridges are way expensive!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics