Page 2 of 5 
Username Post: Iowa?!?        (Topic#1385161)
Michelle42141
Veteran
Michelle42141
In response to Tagsmom

I grew up in Cedar Rapids & went to school at ISU!!

I was back to visit Mom & Dad at Christmas and found the Reminisce store in Coralville!! It was heaven!

Just thought I would check-in to find out any good places to shop when I come back to visit!!

BTW - I am in Glasgow, KY now which is along I-65 halfway between Louisville & Nashville.

Give me a holler anytime!

Michelle

JHAWKEYE
Mayor
JHAWKEYE
In response to Tagsmom

Another newbie from Iowa! Cedar Rapids to be exact.

ScrapHappyStArLIGhT
Expert
ScrapHappyStArLIGhT
In response to JHAWKEYE

Hey! I'm new to sb.com and new to Scrapbooking....but I just can't seem to stop! Haha! What a great hobby!

Jessica G-B
Expert
Jessica G-B
In response to Bethany P.

Hey Bethany P. - I grew up in Ankeny and now live in Pleasant Hill (just east of Des Moines)! Hello fellow Iowa scrappers!

whitelily
Veteran
whitelily
In response to Jessica G-B

I don't know if any of you are from the NW part of Iowa, but my mom was telling me about a sb store that opened up in Sgt. Bluff a couple of months ago. It's just south of Sioux City, I don't know the name of the store and unfortunately she doesn't scrapbook so I'll have to check it out the next time I visit.

Just a heads up

Tagsmom
Diva
Tagsmom
In response to whitelily

I live in Ankeny and am so excited to keep this thread going!

IowaScrappinNana
Resident
IowaScrappinNana
In response to cartermdz

I'm trying to get the news out - my favorite sb store is closing. Here's the latest info from owner Terri Nobel:
Greetings All,

Just a quick note to let you all know that we are on a wait for Friday night . To get registered call 515-251-4744. The cost is $15.00 and a side dish.

we still have spots for keepsake club on Thursday the 21st from 5-9pm we serve a snack and do a make a keepsake. Cost is $6.00.

I have all the QuicKutz dies for sale and I will also be selling the large diecut machine and all the dies if you are interested stop in and take a look.

This week everything in the store is 50% off and 70% off the sale table.
No other discounts apply
So stop by for savings.
We still have paper racks, tables and chairs for sale.

We hope to see you soon

Sincerely,

Terrie Nebel
ScrapThis, Crop That

Edited by IowaScrappinNana on 06-20-07 06:20 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

-Michelle-
Veteran
-Michelle-
In response to IowaScrappinNana

I live in New Sharon and have been scrapbooking for a couple of years. Glad to see there are more Iowa people who have discovered this great site.

Amy June
New Kid On the Block
Amy June
In response to -Michelle-

Im in Des Moines!

Amy June
New Kid On the Block
Amy June
In response to Amy June

All day charity crop in Des Moines August 12th 9am-9pm at Val Air Ballroom! Visit:
http://scrapping4inclusio n.com/USA/Des%20Moines.htm for more info!

crafty90
Expert
crafty90
In response to Amy June

I was just wondering how the Transcendental Meditation people (group) has changed your town?

For people who don't know what I'm talking about here is a little info on them..........

SMITH CENTER, Kan. - Supporters of Maharishi Mahesh Yogi see his Transcendental Meditation movement as fostering world harmony. But in this farm town in the heart of the heartland, the movement‘s plans to build its “World Capital of Peace” here are creating more tension than tranquility.

“It hasn‘t split the community, but it has caused a lot of tension,” said Mayor Randy Archer. “We‘re an older community, and new things that come to town are scary for some people.”

Eric Michener, who works as project coordinator out of a storefront office on Main Street, conceded his group, the nonprofit Maharishi-affiliated Global Country of World Peace, probably could have made a better first impression.

Altogether, the Maharishi wants to build 2,400 peace palaces in 250 U.S. cities and has opened ones in Houston, Bethesda, Md., Lexington, Ky., and Fairfield, Iowa, where his group also has operated the Maharishi University of Management for three decades.

TM traces its roots to India. The movement began in the 1950s and is best known for its celebrity disciples, who have included Clint Eastwood and the comedian Andy Kaufman. Practitioners repeat a thought — a mantra — over and over to achieve relaxation, typically for 15 or 20 minutes every morning and evening. But Pastor Greg Hubbard of the Evangelical Free Church, countered, “They say they aren‘t a religion, and I say baloney.” In April, he and other pastors signed a letter to the local newspaper saying: “They are welcome, but they must understand we are competing for the eternal souls of people.”

Others in Smith Center — a dwindling town of 1,800 with an aging population — are withholding judgment.

Boyum held out the possibility of an economic boost for the town, where folks raise wheat, corn, soybeans and cattle about 175 miles from Topeka, near the Nebraska line: “Our intention is to funnel as much finances and work through the local community as we can. We all are consumers and will bring resources into the county.”

“They came in and, boom, here we are,” the mayor said. “People thought they were sneaking in.”

Recently, a dozen people showed up at Michener‘s office for a question-and-answer session. Some were curious about TM. Others were a little upset. They wanted to know why Michener didn‘t show up the night before for a public meeting, the usual means of hashing out problems around here.

Michener said there had been some miscommunication and his superiors had not authorized him to speak to a large gathering. He started using terms like “silent zero point.”

“It‘s just like they are pulling stories out of the sky,” farmer Mark Overmiller said after the meeting. “Baby, this will split this town wide open.”

Not everyone opposes the new neighbors. The Rev. Sharon Patton of the First Christian Church grew up near Fairfield, Iowa, and recalled the same concerns there when the Maharishi opened the university and supporters moved into town.

“Those who are secure in their faith aren‘t worried about these people coming,” she said. “We are going through the same thing as the folks in Fairfield and that passed. In time, it will die out.”

June 26, 2007
DES MOINES (AP) — A southeast Iowa city established six years ago by the followers of Transcendental Meditation guru Maharishi Mahesh Yogi is considering a plan to SEI ze a farmer’s land to prevent him from building a hog operation next to the city.

Maharishi Vedic City officials told farmer Bob Palm that they’d like to buy his 149-acre farm after they heard a few months ago about Palm’s plans to build a hog confinement operation on the land.

City officials drafted a proposal to buy the land and said if that plan fails, they expect to use eminent domain to force the sale of Palm’s land in the name of public improvement.

On Sunday, Maharishi Vedic City’s governing council decided to table a controversial vote on the property. The council could have chosen to take the first steps toward buying Palm’s farm.

City Attorney Maureen Wynne, who is the wife of Mayor Bob Wynne, said the proposal is about expansion and ideals.

“It would be a very difficult situation for the city if a hog confinement is built on its boundaries,” Wynne said.

She said a hog confinement operation would be a nuisance to the city that has declared itself all-organic and bans the sale of anything not grown organically.

An appraiser for the city valued Palm’s land at $2,675 per acre.

Palm, 57, remained steadfast in his refusal to sell.

“It’s everything to us,” Palm said about the farm on which he grows corn and soybeans with his brothers Lou and Ron.

Ron Palm said he and his brothers have dropped the idea of a hog confinement and they said city officials jumped the gun when they threatened to use eminent domain.

“About all we had done was research into a hog confinement,” Ron Palm said. He said the brothers also considered raising cattle or growing a vineyard.

The vote on the park plan will be delayed indefinitely while the city negotiates with the family and with Jefferson County officials.

Sunday’s meeting — held under a tent at Wynne’s house — drew about 200 people, said Jefferson County Board of Supervisors Vice Chairman ******** Reed, adding that most of them were against the proposed expansion.

“It’s a little shady,” Reed said. “When you have a local government talking about doing condemnation on a farm when they have excess land themselves is ludicrous. Being able to own land is one of the rights in this country.”

Wynne said adding a hog confinement to the town’s border would be akin to building a landfill.

The proposed park included in the city’s plan would include windmills, soccer fields, a swimming pool and a place to charge electric cars.

Considered a spiritual center of the Transcendental Meditation movement in the United States, the city of 420 practitioners of TM was incorporated in 2001. The city has designated Sanskrit, an ancient language of India, as its official language and adopted a new currency.

The meditating community has met with resistance and sometimes hostility from the farmers, residents and business owners of Fairfield, where Yogi and his TM organizations bought the defunct Parsons College campus in 1974.

In 2001, a group of the meditators decided to establish their own city a few miles north of Fairfield. Since its inception, Maharishi Vedic City has generated local controversy.

In April 2004, city officials hatched a plan to house 500 pandits, or special meditators, using city money. But Jefferson County residents opposed the plan on the grounds that the public money from a local-option sales tax would be used for a religious purpose.

The pandits made it to Maharishi Vedic City in the fall of 2006, but without the use of public money, Wynne said.

In 2005, the Jefferson County Board of Supervisors unanimously rejected the city’s request for help to get a $132,000 grant from the state’s Community Attractions and Tourism Fund to build a new visitors’ center and make improvements to an astronomical observatory.

ginger_williams
Veteran
ginger_williams
In response to crafty90

hello, I am in Iowa too...around knoxville........

*jesse*
Idol
*jesse*
In response to Amy June

Am I the only one from far-east Iowa (Clinton area)???

2manyhobbies?!
Expert
2manyhobbies?!
In response to *jesse*

Anyone in Cedar Falls/Waterloo? We just moved here

GrammaCuts
Diva
GrammaCuts
In response to MommieSonger

GrammaCuts here! I really haven't seen too many gals from Iowa on here, nice to know I have a little company!

Stop by for a chat, if you get a chance!
Deb

GrammaCuts
Diva
GrammaCuts
In response to 2manyhobbies?!

GrammaCuts here! I'm from Waterloo, lifelong resident! Stop by for a chat sometime!
Deb

mommy2girlz
Diva
mommy2girlz
In response to GrammaCuts

*jesse* I live in Eastern Iowa, Muscatine, about as east as you can get! LOL

Edited by mommy2girlz on 03-20-08 09:36 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

ScrapHappyStArLIGhT
Expert
ScrapHappyStArLIGhT
In response to mommy2girlz

Anyone going to the Midwest Scrapbook Association Convention in Des Moines?

I AM!

*jesse*
Idol
*jesse*
In response to ScrapHappyStArLIGhT

Didn't know there was one in Des Moines!

scrappin3ds
Resident
scrappin3ds
In response to *jesse*

Yea the convention in des moines was in april but i think they will have another one this fall. They did last fall anyway. By the way from southwest Iowa(Greenfield)!

Page 2 of 5 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics