Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Not much Money        (Topic#1389517)
Craftnangel
Guru
Craftnangel

Hello,

I'm not really new to Srappin.. But I do have a delima. I dont have alot of money to buy suppplies with and am looking for ideas just using your basic Plain color paper. There is so much out there you can buy but a budget is a budget.. All the pages I have seen in the gallery are so cute.

Any ideas on how to make my pages stand out?

Thanks,
Crafnangel

CherrieSuga
Guru
CherrieSuga
In response to Craftnangel

I have the same problem. I use ribbon and glitter and the dollar tree has some really good stuff for a dollar. You can go to walmart and they have like a little bin besides where they cut the fabric and they usually have the leftover pieces of ribbon all in a bag for like 2 dollars or so and its quite a bit of different stuff. Also, you could do paper layering. Look around your house things youd be surprised at thte stuff you can use. If you have old buttons, pins like scarf pins, umm use your imagination. Hope I helped.

sweetscrappin
Veteran
sweetscrappin
In response to CherrieSuga

awww, budgeters after my own heart... there are lots f things you can do with plain paper.. I had some pretty green paper, but it was just to plain, so i crumpled it up and then smoothed it out, and scrapped the photos on there, of messy hair. it was quite fitting. Also, since you have a pc, you can make alot of layouts by just printing out on different papers, with different fonts, that will keep it lively. PM me for a few websites that offer free downloads of fonts. Also, chalks on paper for a highlight will add a boost to your pages, and almost all chalk is acid free, so even a box of kids chalk will help out. When I was first starting out, i didnt have alot of money, and i had friends that scrapped and were in the same boat, so what we did, was gather extra tags, etc, and gave each person a tag, or small envelope etc, and then after we were done, i traced and made a Hard copy, so that i could make a tag out of any piece of paper. Now they have people out there that buy the hard plastic template, but there really isnt a need, especially if your only doing it once in a while.

Also, most craft stores, will give you scrap flowers after they have swept their floors, and you can usually buy several bags of flower tops, for a dollar a bag, I use them, and make flowers on my layouts...

i have a million ideas for scrapping on a budget.. make friends with your lss they have all the tools, and sometimes for like 5 dollars, they will let you use their punches, or diecuts, and even local schools. The one down the street from me, has every single diecut for sizzix, i havent taken them up on their offer, but its there if i need/want it. Hope that helps give you some ideas, cause it is possible to make pages on a budget.. not having the money to scrap doesnt mean you love less ...

cynderellaj
Guru
cynderellaj
In response to sweetscrappin

Hey there - welcome!! Here is a link to a thread that has some really good ideas for scrapbooking on a budget. Good luck!!
Budget Scrapbooking Thread

MomTo4CrazyKids
Governor
MomTo4CrazyKids
In response to cynderellaj

Just remember, it is called SCRAPbooking. That is because back when my grandmother was young, her mother made them with scraps. Yes, scraps! Little left over buttons, diaper pins, hairbows, broken pieces of a dish, etc.... It is all about YOUR memories! The only one who matters with their opinion in the end is you! Just do what you feel is important and use whatever you have!!

Melinda

riorabbit
Queen
riorabbit
In response to MomTo4CrazyKids

There are soo many cute things that can be done with paper! You can make your own cute little flowers like all the adorable ones that people buy. They are still super cute when you hand cut them. You can also hand cut out letters. I am really fond of all the cute photo corners that are hand cut these days. All of these ideas just require tiny little scraps. I also save all my scraps. lol! I know that I will use them again. There is a challenge that is for patterned paper only. It is a great place to see cute ideas for just paper. Also, the doodling thread is fun. All you need is a pen to doodle. If you are creative, you can do a ton with paper.
You could even make buttons. Just cut a circle of paper and then hole punch two mini circles.
I also collect little things like ribbons from packages and twill from old drawstring shorts that I am going to toss. If you keep your eyes open, you will find stuff all around.

Have fun with it!

scrapadilla
Expert
scrapadilla
In response to riorabbit

Go to disneylisa's gallery and look at her "tea bag" folding. I love the look--I haven't tried it yet. You don't have to have a bunch of dies to have a lot of elements on a page. You can make your own photo mats, file folders, library pockets, envelopes and tags by skillfully using a ruler and exacto blade. Regular hole punch goes a long way too. Save the things like tickets, receipts, menus, etc. from events you are scrapping. Might seem a bit mundane to have the menu from a special birthday dinner now but your grandkids might get a big kick out of it 50 years from now. You can save too, if you like flowers, by buying a stem of them for $2 or less and taking them apart. Cheaper than Prima and most often just as pretty. Good luck finding fun stuff and enjoy!

Mazzy
Mazzy 
Idol
Mazzy
  • Mazzy on 11-06-06 07:20 PM
In response to riorabbit

Hi,
Just a quick reply regarding being on a budget. I love to use only cardstock with just a litle bit of pp or just use different coloured carstock. I have to make myself use pp most of the time because I had become so used to not using any at all. You can do some wonderful pages without spending a fortune, just by using cardstock, ink, paint, computer fonts, glitter, beads, whatever you have. some of the best lo's are very plain and simple, but striking in their colour choices. Experiment and you will find lots of ways to scrap on a budget.

NoirCat
Guru
NoirCat
In response to riorabbit

Something I still do to this day. I bought a can of Krylon "Make it Acid-Free". It is expensive. However, I go through a lot of magazines that I get from friends, family and other places. I look for statements that are meant to be part of ads, like "be all you can be" from the army and so on. I also watch for beautiful printed images like flowers and such that I can use for letters, backgrounds, and other items. I spray the paper with the Acid-Free and use these paper items in my LO without letting them touch my pictures. I love the effect I get on many things by doing this.

Craftnangel
Guru
Craftnangel
In response to NoirCat

Thank you all for all your ideas.. There all great ideas... I really appreciate it. I love to scrap. But sometimes I just feel like my pages look all the same.

Thanks Again....
Take care,
Craftnangel (Michele)

sweetscrappin
Veteran
sweetscrappin
In response to Craftnangel

Angel, dont worry, i feel like that alot of times, that my pages all look the same, but you know, its something that im comfortable with. Yes I step out of the box once in a while, and try new things... but what i have noticed is that i dont need or want my pages to look like everyone else's. We all have our own style, sometimes we scraplift a few items, and sometimes people scraplift from us. The most important thing to remember is, that you do what you can, and your not doing it to impress others, your doing it to preserve your memories and leave a piece of you .. and that is true love

scrapchica
Guru
scrapchica
In response to sweetscrappin

I started out on primarily paper too. You can do a lot varying shapes and colors. See my gallery for examples. My Gallery

fairytattoo
Governor
fairytattoo
In response to scrapchica

Check your local dollar store. Ours here in town has a whole scrapbooking section with some really cute stuff.

~Alma Scrapera~
Expert
~Alma Scrapera~
In response to fairytattoo

Most people have MS Word on their computers. With MS Word, you can create journaling in shapes, use different fonts and print MS Word clipart as embellishments. Microsoft even gives additional clipart for free from their website. They usually have new seasonal clipart every few months. I tend to use my stencils to cut cardstock into shapes, but that can always be done free hand or by tracing a shape you want. You can also make "ribbons" out of paper by cutting them into strips.

~Alma Scrapera~

riorabbit
Queen
riorabbit
In response to ~Alma Scrapera~

Oh, I love the ribbons out of paper too!

Judy_Scraps
Mayor
Judy_Scraps
In response to riorabbit

If you can swing it, invest in some punches with basic shapes. Just buy one at a time with a Coupon . I use my flower punches a lot. Buy one or two leaf punches, circles and anything else that's versatile.

Shop yard sales for buttons, ribbons, rick rack, etc. You'd be amazed at what people practically give away.

Make your own paper piecings from free coloring pages you can find online. It's not that hard to do and all you need is paper, adhesive, scissors and a journaling pen for detail (and a printer to print your pattern!).

QTScrapper
Diva
QTScrapper
In response to Judy_Scraps

Most of my major purchases have been with Coupon s. I bought my Sizzix with my 40% off Coupon . Also look on Ebay. I have found some items cheaply. But watch the prices. Also like others have said dollar stores or even swaps!

tammylee
Guru
tammylee
In response to QTScrapper

I am also on a budget. Ya' know the budget of "ain't got no money, so use what you have".

Thanks for the ideas ladies!!

sabine
sabine 
Idol
sabine
In response to tammylee

If you have children you can use their artwork as background paper. It looks really cute.

Evenight001
Veteran
Evenight001
In response to sabine

Here are some tips
you can also make layered flowers from crate paper

Go to local scrapbook store s, they will allow you to use there diecuts if you buy paper. So buy a sheet and bring some of your on.

biglots has a variety of colorful patterened paper for a dollar.

You can also make flowers from ribbon.

Use your printer to make decorative paper.

Take foam, and cut with diecut machines, these make great stamps.

go to crops, you can general bring your paper and make your on diecuts.

Make your on album...you can use a binding machine or a three ring binder and decorate the cover.

Go to michaels or acmoore and purchase the wooden cut outs, these make great stencils that can be traced and cut outs.

Look for scrapbook items outside of the scrapbook section.

Buy after season items.

by leis and cut the string and you have flowers,

print stickers on your printer.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics