Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Big Kick, Big Shot or Cuttlebug?        (Topic#1411799)
New Kid On the Block

Hello!I'm thinking of investing in either of those three (on sale at Joann's!)..but which one? All are able to accept any type of dies/embossing folders, right? Does the cuttlebug have replacement cutting pads (didnt see any for sale)? How does those three compare in terms of weight and portability? Hmmm...what do you think?

Sorry so many questions! Hope you can help me!

Btw, the new Wishblade looks really interesting also but it's kind of beyond my budget, and it's out of stock til end of April.

moxiegirl23
Queen
moxiegirl23
In response to layahdc

i bought the cuttlebug two weeks ago. it does use replacement cutting pads, which are inexpensive. i can't tell you how portable the Big Kick or the Big Shot is, but the Cuttlebug folds up into a four inch wide by 8 inches tall and 8 inches wide boxy thing with a pull out handle. it weighs a couple of pounds, but I like that i'll be able to put it in my rolling tote and not have to have a specific tote to carry my die cutter in. i have the original sizzix machine, and it's not very portable due to how it's constructed, so unless i need to cut heavier stock, i plan on taking the cuttlebug everywhere. IIRC, the Big Shot/Kick don't fold, and thus have the same portability problems that the original sizzix has.

it cuts wonderfully and i'm so glad i bought it! it's rapidly becoming my favorite tool.

Swimmom
New Kid On the Block
Swimmom
In response to layahdc

I have the BigShot and I absolutly LOVE it. It cuts all dies, sizzix, ellion, QuicKutz , cuddlebug. The BigShot and the BigKick are the exact same machine, just different colors/packaging, so if you decide on one of those, go for the one with the best price.

MichelleSG
Veteran
MichelleSG
In response to Swimmom

I have the BigKick (same exact thing as the BigShot) and I love it. It can cut using just about any die out there big or small, you just use the different adaptors (they come with the machine). Costco.com has the BigKick stater system for $73.99 regular price so it's not as big as an investment as the regular $129 price. I buy all my dies off of the Sizzix website on clearance, I don't think I've ever paid more than $7 for any of my dies. That being said I don't do Sizzix alphabets. For alphas I use my Cricut. I find these 2 machines compliment each other and are still portable.

camelheel
Diva
camelheel
In response to MichelleSG

I love my Cuttlebug. Although I haven't taken it anywhere, it is definitely portable. The replacement boards are about $8 at Mikes. I bought it mainly to cut out letters and have been very happy - I only have the Olivia letters right now. I think the dies are a good price too. It folds up easy to put away as well although because it is small, i just leave it out!

doglady
Tenant
doglady
In response to layahdc

I own the Big Shot. I had purchased the Cuttlebug but the suction does not hold and it tips so if you have a large die you have to push down hard and crank at the same time. I have herniated discs in my neck so this did not workfor me. I love my big shot. I can use my tag a long for crops (which you can get dirt cheap at Ebay)and use the Big Shot at home for my huge dies.

chocodlite2
Guru
chocodlite2
In response to doglady

I have the Big Shot & I so love this machine, I really like then fact that you can cut more than 2 of the sizzlits on this machine & that is big help when you are cutting your ltrs or shapes...I hope you enjoy which ever machine you decide to buy...

scrappinbecky
Pro
scrappinbecky
In response to chocodlite2

A big deciding factor would be if you would be taking it places.... the cuttlebug is more portable than the others.

I have the regular sizzix and it is heavier than cuttlebug, and kind of akward. Fine to leave at home. Also depends if you want to use the big dies or are ok with using the thin dies.

Good luck with your choice.

bobswifeamy
Resident
bobswifeamy
In response to doglady

• doglady Said:
I own the Big Shot. I had purchased the Cuttlebug but the suction does not hold and it tips so if you have a large die you have to push down hard and crank at the same time. I have herniated discs in my neck so this did not workfor me. I love my big shot. I can use my tag a long for crops (which you can get dirt cheap at Ebay)and use the Big Shot at home for my huge dies.

You know, I had also heard this same issue raised about the SideKick, however, I've had neither problem. I think it's because my craft tabletop is glass - therefore a true smooth surface -so the suction works awesome. When I first tried out my Cuttlebug, I was concerned about this, as I have had wrist problems, and I didn't want something hard to crank, or something I had to wrestle with, but it was a piece of cake. In fact, I tried with both hands to remove it from the table and I could not!
I think, unless you get a defective model, that the suction faction depends on the surface you are attaching it to.
Good Luck,

amyB

moxiegirl23
Queen
moxiegirl23
In response to bobswifeamy

• bobswifeamy Said:
  • doglady Said:

You know, I had also heard this same issue raised about the SideKick, however, I've had neither problem. I think it's because my craft tabletop is glass - therefore a true smooth surface -so the suction works awesome. When I first tried out my Cuttlebug, I was concerned about this, as I have had wrist problems, and I didn't want something hard to crank, or something I had to wrestle with, but it was a piece of cake. In fact, I tried with both hands to remove it from the table and I could not!
I think, unless you get a defective model, that the suction faction depends on the surface you are attaching it to.
Good Luck,

amyB

cuttlebug uses suction?! Whoops, didn't notice, have been using it on a cloth covered table and haven't had any issues. Had issues with the sidekick's suction all of the time, probably because of it's size.

BlingQueenRia
Angel
BlingQueenRia
In response to moxiegirl23

I haven't had any issues with my Sidekick's suction. At all. I did discover that Cuttlebug dies are a millimeter or so thicker than Sizzlits, so you have to start them through carefully. You have to be sure the die is completely within the cutting pads, no die hanging out, and it goes through fine. I will probably just stick to my Sidekick and eventually get the Cuttlebug and that will be that for die cutters for a while.

moxiegirl23
Queen
moxiegirl23
In response to BlingQueenRia

• jorysmomma Said:
I haven't had any issues with my Sidekick's suction. At all.

My Sidekick suction issue is that I would push thge fool thing over sometimes depending on where on my table I placed it. Not a machine issue, but a Liz-issue.

tina c
tina c 
Diva
tina c
In response to Swimmom

• Swimmom Said:
The BigShot and the BigKick are the exact same machine, just different colors/packaging, so if you decide on one of those, go for the one with the best price.

The big kick is bigger and takes up to 6 in dies.

azmama
azmama 
Expert
azmama
In response to Swimmom

i'm 99% sure that I'm going to get one of these and sell my QK Revolution and my regular sizzix machine. I have a couple of cuttlebug dies that i want to use and more i want to get but i don't want to have three or more machines about. i heard that the big shot/kick will work with all the dies out there and just want to get more information about it before i buy another machine. how do you use the other dies with this machine? the original dies work? i heard they didn't. how do the QK dies work?

BlingQueenRia
Angel
BlingQueenRia
In response to azmama

Since my last posting, I have been sucked in by the Cuttlebug. I now own a 'Bug. I love it. Love it, love it, love it. No problems with suction; started problems with Sidekick suction over the summer. Not so with the 'Bug. And I can use the Sizzlit dies in the 'Bug, and I can run up to four dies through at a time. This makes diecutting titles go a LOT quicker. I love my 'Bug.

southern lady
Mayor
southern lady
In response to BlingQueenRia

I have the BigShot and I absolutly LOVE it.

JoanE
JoanE 
Idol
JoanE
  • JoanE on 10-20-07 04:54 PM
In response to southern lady

I have the big shot and it is the best. With all the great new Bigz dies it has become the best tool I own. Took it to a crop today and everyone wanted to try it out.

-PaperJunkie-
Mayor
-PaperJunkie-
In response to JoanE

CuttleBug lover here!!

hdsue
hdsue 
Guru
hdsue
  • hdsue on 10-23-07 07:26 AM
In response to -PaperJunkie-

i have a spellbinder die cutter machine i dont use anyone interested will sell for 40.00 plus shipping just email me...i also have a zippie mate rarely use also....but the sizzlet die go thru that easier than the my reg sixxiz cutter. been thinking of the bug. but good to hear everyone reviews on the big shot...

tina c
tina c 
Diva
tina c
In response to hdsue

• hdsue Said:
i have a spellbinder die cutter machine i dont use anyone interested will sell for 40.00 plus shipping just email me...i also have a zippie mate rarely use also....but the sizzlet die go thru that easier than the my reg sixxiz cutter. been thinking of the bug. but good to hear everyone reviews on the big shot...

You might do better doing a trade...It will cost about 12 to ship...That is making this 50 to 55 dollars. I have seen them on sale for 80 with mats and a die.

The Cutterbug...cuts all dies also, and is easy and smooth. I love how it fold up for storage. I love the Cutterbug embossing folders. I think they are the best.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics