Page 400 of 400 
Username Post: CRICUT 101        (Topic#1412667)
ChansGram
Angel
ChansGram
In response to aquabunny

It was the original Cricut, but still can do the job!!
Congrats on getting your 1st machine and even tho there is not much activity on this thread, we can still see when new posts have been made- so ask away with any questions you may have and we'll be here to help.

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore
In response to ChansGram

We're still here from time to time,

I have AND love that same machine. It's a workhorse! I cut paper, vinyl, cereal boxes, and even fabric (with varying degrees of success.)

I use mine with SCAL all the time. Unfortunately, that is no longer a purchase option. I have tons of cartridges and rarely use them. I also have a gypsy and rarely use that too!

New Kid On the Block
In response to Seaexplore

I am new to this site, and see that there isn't a great deal of activity, but I don't know where else to turn. I have the original Cricut Expression, and I hadn't used it for awhile, but given that it had a USB port, I knew that I should be able to connect it to the internet. I called Cricut CS, and they walked me through the firmware update. AFTER I did this, I found out about SCAL, and you can still purchase it, AND it will still work with the Expression, as long as the update is only up to v. 2.34. For obvious reasons, Cricut updated past that point, to v. 2.43. Does ANYONE know how I can revert back to NO upgrade at all, or to back down to a lower version, so that I can purchase SCAL and do what I want to do? TIA

Diva
In response to shmily7455

FYI - here is link for free CCR download. Copy and paste exactly into browser!

http://us.cricut.com/home/craftroom

BTW Cricut has free cut this week, but NOT in CCR My Cartridges - only in Design Studio for Explorer.

Does anyone remember the old DVD for Design Studio and is it the "same" as the on-line Design Studio? Can you "upgrade" to the on-line version? Saw one at Wal-Mart this week so just wondering?!?!

FYI ALERT - if you go to Cricut home page the second to last dot of ads - it looks like they're going to start charging $9.99 for CCR like they're doing for Design Studio!!!

I guess nothing in life is free anymore because my weekly free cut is for members only - really?!?

ChansGram
Angel
ChansGram
In response to boricuapr

Linda, I think you are confusing Design Studio with the new Design Space which I believe at this time is exclusive to the Explore machine.
CCR is used for all the other machines if you want to do an on line program- Design Studio was software that you bought and put on your computer, no internet needed.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to boricuapr

• boricuapr Said:

FYI ALERT - if you go to Cricut home page the second to last dot of ads - it looks like they're going to start charging $9.99 for CCR like they're doing for Design Studio!!!

No, that isn't what it means. It means they're offering a subscription service to their design store. If you click through you find that that means unlimited access to unlicensed designs for the length of your subscription, rather than buying images and digital cartridges individually (though doing so is still an option if you do not have a subscription). It is not at all the same thing as charging for use of the software or for access to things you already own.

Scrap Chica
Idol
Scrap Chica
In response to aquabunny

I have an original cricut expression, I've never had a gypsy or software f for it and only have about 10 cats for it, therefore I haven't used it in years and don't know a lot about it. I'm told that you can no longer purchases Scal, so my question is, if I go online and get into the CCR and design studio, can I go to blogs and places where people offer free svg files and use them with crochet online or is it you can only use your carts and whatever files they offer? Thanks for the help in advance.

Edited by Scrap Chica on 01-03-15 09:13 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

ChansGram
Angel
ChansGram
In response to Scrap Chica

With the Expression and CCR you can only use images from cartridges.
With their new machine the Explore and Design Space you can use SVGs and fonts from your computer.

Scrap Chica
Idol
Scrap Chica
In response to ChansGram

so ur telling me it would be pointless to use the craft room and design studio on cricut.com because I can only use my 10 cartridges r regardless, what's the point. So nothing I can do except to buy more cats and just use them? I also have never connected my expression to the internet or upgraded it.

ChansGram
Angel
ChansGram

The point would be having the ability to do different things with your images, to manipulate them and to have a larger area to design on. Both of the online programs are good.

I don't believe there is anyway around not buying/using cartridges with the older cricuts.

If you want to use free images like SVGs, then you need to either buy the new CrIcut Explore or a different machine like the Silhouette Cameo.

On the CrIcut Craft Room ( which is the one you'd have to use seeing as you have the Expression) I believe you can buy images as needed instead of buying the whole cartridge.

Eleanorsmama
New Kid On the Block
Eleanorsmama

You can buy individual images off CCR - and you can do some manipulation with some of those images in CCR. I have "designed" some images for myself by combining different images to get the shape I wanted.

Scrap Chica
Idol
Scrap Chica
In response to Eleanorsmama

Ok, I think I get what your saying, do they offer any help for people who are not familiar with manipulating?
I guess I need to try and go back on and rebook at it all, thanks for the advice.

Page 400 of 400 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics