Page 9 of 1114 
Username Post: *Clean and Simple* Critique Group - Volume One        (Topic#1419185)
scrappindmbfan
Diva
scrappindmbfan
In response to Vivian loves BLING

I mostly buy my tools at Michaels because I work there. My LSS doesn't have a huge selection of tools. I don't buy tools very often, but I usually get some ideas about what I want by looking online before I buy something. I got a lot of my CM tools off of evilbay.

Keys
Keys 
Diva
Keys
  • Keys on 05-18-07 09:06 AM
In response to Jaime Lynne

• Jaime Lynne Said:
I wanted to ask a general question to the group regarding dates on los...

So many times I see a lo that does not include the date of the photo or event. Are people dating the backs of their los? Or is it hidden somewhere on the page? I see this a lot in the main gallery, too. I'm thinking it's important to include the date for posterity's sake and in 10 years when I look at a photo or page, I most likely will not remember that in such and such a year I was 25 years old or my child was three.

Any thoughts?

All my books are chronological with boring titles "2000", "2001", "2002"... We do have the odd one out "wedding" but I kind of know when that happened. SO I don't date the actual LO unless I'm just want to for whatever reason.

Jaime Lynne
Mayor
Jaime Lynne

• VivianR Said:
Since I scrap chronologically, I don't feel I need to date every layout. Plus when I scan them, I label them by date for example: 20070518-01.jpg. This also helpe me to track my own info.

Vivian, I used to do this, but once an old album of my grandmothers and some of my own albums fell off the shelf and the pages all slipped out. It was nearly impossible to put it back together since the dates weren't listed anywhere on the photos or the page. I can never be sure that my books are going to stay together. Just a thought for you.

Bran
Bran 
Mayor
Bran
  • Bran on 05-18-07 09:10 AM

Also, you don't know who will have this album decades from now, and they may not know the dates

Keys
Keys 
Diva
Keys
  • Keys on 05-18-07 09:14 AM
In response to Keys

I got my Sidekick ($15) off of Amazon and my dies off of Evilbay or CX.

My smaller tools I have purchased at HL or Walmart.

Some of my paper I got out of a kit club but I'm out of the kit club now and am trying to use it all up. I do like Joanns (DCWV) or HL (Bazzil). I may have to check our LSS now that I'm out of the kit club.

Bran
Bran 
Mayor
Bran
  • Bran on 05-18-07 09:16 AM
In response to Bran

I just wanted to offer this link to you guys. I know there was a page on here recently that the scraper (I will go back and look who it was) had 3 photo's layered on one another and we all left several comments about one of them being obscured to much.

With that in mind take a look at this page http://www.designing-moments.net/blog/ scroll down to Template Freebie dated May 17th

I really like what she did here (this is digital but still) and even though the picture is cut off it is an amazing look! I think.

Note--- It was Amy Lashelle's Almost 3 page

Edited by Bran on 05-18-07 09:20 AM. Reason for edit: added scrappers name

Vivian loves BLING
Deity
Vivian loves BLING

• Jaime Lynne Said:
  • VivianR Said:
Since I scrap chronologically, I don't feel I need to date every layout. Plus when I scan them, I label them by date for example: 20070518-01.jpg. This also helpe me to track my own info.

Vivian, I used to do this, but once an old album of my grandmothers and some of my own albums fell off the shelf and the pages all slipped out. It was nearly impossible to put it back together since the dates weren't listed anywhere on the photos or the page. I can never be sure that my books are going to stay together. Just a thought for you.

How frustrating! I can see where that's a problem.

When I did an old ablum for my parents, I had to guess at alot of the dates, really ranges and I ordered the layouts to the best of my abilities. I put page numbers on the backs of each layout. So if they did ever fall out, it wouldn't be too hard to set them right again.

Before a layout gets put into any of my albums, it's scanned and the date is in its name. So I have a back up there. Plus now there's no way I can have an entire year in one album. Some albums are only for a month or a major event (like weddings, 80th or 70th birthday celebrations, etc.). I use regular notebooks since I mainly scrap 8.5x11 layouts. I use those that let you slide titles into the spines and fronts.

Vivian loves BLING
Deity
Vivian loves BLING

I'm all about backing up stuff. I've very organized digitally. I have my photos in folders by year then months under that and then days under that. Some days may have more than one folder. Then all my scanned in layouts are stored under that year and since they're named by dates their in order. This way I can usually burn a CD and do them by years.

It's the real paper stuff that burying me.

outsidechic
Diva
outsidechic
In response to Bran

yikes i'm all caught up, cant leave this link for too long or you'll get lost.

okay, i date my pages but it depends if i know the date i'll put it down. but usually its just the month and year, or age.

tools i dont' have a lot of stuff and follow the good eats philosophy of every tool needs to be a multi-tasker. love my exato knife, and my cirlce cutter doesn't multi-task. and i usually look at an item and think how easy it would be to make it my self and ususally make my own embellies, but i have a shilloute to cut out letters because that is just to dang time consuming, but that was before i discoverd chipboard...but i still like to cut that out myself.

i try to comment on everything, unless i get to far back and have to speed read to catch up then i just comment on those that catch my eye, or in this case that i can see something that could change. i used to love the crits in school where all the work would be up on the wall and the prof. would call on some one and they would pic a piece to crit and then that person would pic one and so forth....hated to be called on to crit something the prof. picked.

hmm what else...have to think there is so much chatter going on in here....

Lycosparks
Mayor
Lycosparks

• VivianR Said:
I use regular notebooks since I mainly scrap 8.5x11 layouts.

I've been thinking about doing this now that I've switched back to 8.5x11. I'm wondering, when you do double lo's though, do they appear too far away from one another because of the rings? Do you KWIM? I'd love to know what sort of notebook you use!

Lycosparks
Mayor
Lycosparks
In response to outsidechic

• outsidechic Said:
cant leave this link for too long or you'll get lost.

I know what you mean. This thread has picked up incredibly fast, and its wonderful if you can keep up with it! I would like to throw this out there because I know many people are very busy, and I don't want to lose anyone:

** If you find yourself falling behind, please don't feel obligated to comment on every lo. Do try though if you can. However, if you are short on time, I ask that you try to comment on at least one lo for everyone who has posted in that time period, so that no one gets left out. **

Thanks, everyone!

Keys
Keys 
Diva
Keys
  • Keys on 05-18-07 10:41 AM
In response to Lycosparks

• Lycosparks Said:
  • VivianR Said:

I've been thinking about doing this now that I've switched back to 8.5x11. I'm wondering, when you do double lo's though, do they appear too far away from one another because of the rings? Do you KWIM? I'd love to know what sort of notebook you use!

I don't think they appear too far away. The next few doubles I make I'll take a picture that way instead of scanning them and stitching them.

I think Vivian uses the same notebooks I do -- Sams club bulk with the clear cover

Lycosparks
Mayor
Lycosparks
In response to Keys

Thanks, Micki!

I completed another lo this afternoon. It didn't quite turn out as I planned. Any suggestions for improvement are appreciated!

terms of endearment

amylashelle
Veteran
amylashelle

Lauri, what if the journal slips where a different color, they kind of blend into the page? Very nice page! I haven't really mastered doing just one photo...

scrappindmbfan
Diva
scrappindmbfan
In response to amylashelle

I'm not good at one photo either, especially using 12x12. I have found if I'm using a 5x7 it's easier than a 4x6. The LO I'm struggling with now is only one photo and is a 4x6...I'm thinking I might need to reprint it as a 5x7. I really like using 12x12 though, I have plenty of room for momentos and journaling.

Vivian loves BLING
Deity
Vivian loves BLING

• Lycosparks Said:
  • VivianR Said:

When I do a two-pager that has to right next to each other I staple the "spine" of the sheet protectors. I get the same effect as a post bound album. I buy my page protectors and albums/notebooks from Sam's Club.

Vivian loves BLING
Deity
Vivian loves BLING

I recently bought 12x12 D-ring notebooks and love them! Stapling the protectors together really makes a difference for some layouts.

scrapjones
Guru
scrapjones
In response to London

• ~Shelly~ Said:
I just wanted to ask ya'll .. when buying tools where do you go? A chain like HL or Joanns or your LSS?

I've been thinking instead of adding to my stash I'd concentrate on buying new tools for now. I've only got the basics.

I definatley go to Michaels or Joann's since they have Coupons ... I just space things out that I wanted to buy. I don't know if you have one yet but I just got a Cropadile like a month ago... it is the BEST thing ever. I didnt want to get one, but I use Chipboard all the time, it punches wholes in it like butter! Oh and I am making a magnet board, and my cropadile totally punches thru metal!!! I just wish I'd gotten it sooner!

Oh and Hello everyone! I just logged in, which is weird for me, I'm usually on early, but I had errands... what can you do?

scrapjones
Guru
scrapjones
In response to Bran

• Bran Said:
I just wanted to offer this link to you guys. I know there was a page on here recently that the scraper (I will go back and look who it was) had 3 photo's layered on one another and we all left several comments about one of them being obscured to much.

With that in mind take a look at this page http://www.designing-moments.net/blog/ scroll down to Template Freebie dated May 17th

I really like what she did here (this is digital but still) and even though the picture is cut off it is an amazing look! I think.

Note--- It was Amy Lashelle's Almost 3 page

Thanks for that link, it was a cool page... who would think to leave just a sliver of a photo on a page... I'll have to try it, Maybe!

outsidechic
Diva
outsidechic
In response to scrapjones

i get my tools where ever they are cheaper. been getting them lately at target. never herd of hl till i came here and there is none around me. other wise at the lss, not a big fan of joans for sb stuff or michaels and walmart just plain disapointing. but then i have my exacto and i just need to find the 100 blade packs. and i've been thinking about a crop-a-dile but only since they now make it in green.

Page 9 of 1114 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics