Username Post: VBS recreation ideas?        (Topic#1420101)
Shana_Banana
Diva
Shana_Banana

We had our first night of VBS last night, and overall everything went well. But I am the recreation leader, and I had a hard time with the younger kids... So my question is, for those of you who are teachers and/or have done VBS, what are some games you have done with the pre-k and kindergarten kids. The activities my book outlined are geared more for older kids... I played follow the leader with them last night as a last minute deal, as our theme was "follow", but I could care less if the them matches, I just need activity ideas...

Oh and I might mention, I played follow the leader along with them, and it wore this pregnant lady out quick! lol!

AlyssasMom
Expert
AlyssasMom
In response to Shana_Banana

How about musical chairs?!

I loved that as a small child!

Shana_Banana
Diva
Shana_Banana
In response to AlyssasMom

Ooooh! Good one!

AlyssasMom
Expert
AlyssasMom

and I am sure you can find some children's christian music in the church to use.

AlyssasMom
Expert
AlyssasMom

arts and crafts are also great. Of course, it would need to be something simple for the younger kids, but I remember making all kinds of things at church camp!

Shana_Banana
Diva
Shana_Banana

No, I can't do arts and crafts, they already have that slot...

See I am recreation leader, so I provide the games... Other leaders do arts and crafts, and science, story time, and I can't remember what else...

It's been so long since I have been around little kids, I forgot about all the childhood games I can do...

Like I said, my book is geared more for the older kids, so thats taken care of, it's just the tots that were hard to keep entertained... and they expect you too. The older kids could care a little less.

AlyssasMom
Expert
AlyssasMom

oops, I didnt read that thoroughly!

I don't know how much room you have to work with, but another classic is duck duck, goose!
We would change the name to fit whatever theme!

Fortunes Fool
Governor
Fortunes Fool

What about Simon Says?

pinksparkles
Guru
pinksparkles
In response to Fortunes Fool

Duck duck goose!

Shana_Banana
Diva
Shana_Banana
In response to Fortunes Fool

Thanks ya'll, those are good...

I had a couple of more ideas from co-workers, like I have some wooden eggs, they could race with them on spoons, and leap frog, and maybe a ball toss where they have to name off something, like favorite color, etc.

So this definitely helped...

And on the musical chairs, I can even do that with the older kids as a time 'filler'... If anyone has any more ideas, I'm up to it, I still have Wednesday and Thursday to fill with different activites since I know they can't do the ones I planned for! loL!

Shana_Banana
Diva
Shana_Banana

Hey Goat girl I love your goatie!

We have 22 ourselves... is that a boer? We have boers, boer crosses, and a few nubians.

Deans_wife
Veteran
Deans_wife

Whenever i was substituting in the schools I would play "tail tag" kids love it! all ages, any grades... you need some room and things to use for "tails". pinnies, or hand towels... the kids are put into 2 teams and each person gets a tail they tuck into their waistband, not tie, but tuck so it hangs down like a tail...
they stand at opposite walls and you say go, they run towards each other trying to get to the other side without losing their tail, you try to pull off the others tails. if you lose your tail you "sit out", while this seems unfair, it goes by quickly. some rules: no sitting down (on your tail), time limit to get to other side... or they wil run around forever....try it a few times and you might need to make up new rules as you go.

also basic running games are fun, I always try animal sprint animal run with the little kids, they pick an animal and run to the othr side of the room, or cross a finish line imitating hte animal choosen by the group, I try to get every kids to choose an animal... monster, horse, chicken... they make noises and get rowdy, but calm down when they get tired....
what time is mr wolf is fun too!

lilyrose
Pro
lilyrose
In response to Deans_wife

You could do a treasure/scavenger hunt. Hide things for them to find and give them clues or directions to FOLLOW. You could pair up the little ones with older children and have teams if you wanted.Good luck and have fun!

darksideme
Queen
darksideme
In response to lilyrose

What about one of those PE parachutes(is there a proper name for it)? Those are a lot of fun to play with, especially when you put a bunch of foam balls in the middle and everyone makes them bounce.

musica620
Idol
musica620
In response to darksideme

I got a game off a youth minister's website that I use for my students. It's called human battleship. You divide a room in half (I use a table and a sheet). One side should not be able to see the other if they are laying down. Divide into 2 teams. When you tell them go, they get on their knees and crawl to the spot that they want their "battleship" to be. They lay down and must stay in place. Each team takes turn throwing a soft ball into the other teams area and tries to "sink their battleship". If someone is hit they are out.
I used this when my middleschool boys had been in testing all morning and were wound up. Since they have to throw it lying down, they can't throw the ball hard at each other (like dodgeball) and they must stay in one place and quiet (so they don't give away their place). For smaller kids I'd make the space smaller so they can get the ball over the barrier.
My HS and MS classes (girls and boys) want to play it every day.

Shana_Banana
Diva
Shana_Banana
In response to musica620

Thats a neat idea too musica, thanks!

Well, the duck duck goose went over pretty good with the pre-k and kindergarten.

I did the egg race with the 1-2nd graders, and I did the activity I had scheduled for the kids with the 4-6th and that worked out perfect.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics