Username Post: The Grammar Gurus        (Topic#1420201)
Diva
In response to Bxr-Linda

Funny bunch of scrappers in this line of the forum!

teenuh
teenuh 
Tenant
teenuh
In response to Bxr-Linda

That's how I pronounced it when I first came across the word, but all those YouTube videos of people saying "cricket" made me think I was wrong!

pugs223
Idol
pugs223
In response to Bxr-Linda

• Bxr-Linda Said:
  • teenuh Said:
This thread is hilarious! I always frown upon my fiance's awful grammar and syntax.

Btw (or should I say "by the way"), how is "Cricut" pronounced??

It would be pronounced "cry-cut."

Funny - I read your response and then got Alligator Hunter "crikey" in my head. Then I open the article on yahoo about his son and the first word of the article is "Crikey!"

The other word that I probably mispronounce is Copics. Is it like topic or toe-pick (Cutting Edge movie "Toe pick!")

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 09-27-12 12:21 PM
In response to pugs223

I had to pop in here and tell you all that it can pay to be obsessive about spelling and grammar. I received a shipping notice from a company and noticed how they'd spelled "recepient." I emailed them, they responded immediately, were appropriately embarrassed, and gave me a $10 credit.

And may I add that the word "Cricut" is one of the reasons I never wanted one.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to stick

• stick Said:
I had to pop in here and tell you all that it can pay to be obsessive about spelling and grammar. I received a shipping notice from a company and noticed how they'd spelled "recepient." I emailed them, they responded immediately, were appropriately embarrassed, and gave me a $10 credit.

I you!!! Me too!!!!!

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to Bxr-Linda

This really isn't so much grammar, but...

my boss has an internet telephone, and it transcribes messages and sends them by email.

I left a message for him: "...just wanted you to know that I set a 4:00 initial consultation today."

It transcribed it to: "...initial complication."

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 09-27-12 05:14 PM
In response to Bxr-Linda

• Bxr-Linda Said:
  • stick Said:

I you!!! Me too!!!!!

Probably because I was raised on phonetics, but it took me quite a while to understand its real pronunciation and that the "cut" in the word doesn't actually refer to die-cutting. I had originally thought it was supposed to be a clever play on words but I could never figure out the "cri" part. Silly me, lol.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to stick

• stick Said:
  • Bxr-Linda Said:
  • stick Said:

I you!!! Me too!!!!!

Probably because I was raised on phonetics, but it took me quite a while to understand its real pronunciation and that the "cut" in the word doesn't actually refer to die-cutting. I had originally thought it was supposed to be a clever play on words but I could never figure out the "cri" part. Silly me, lol.

Whoa! Now I'm very confused.
It doesn't?!

I actually had a disagreement with a friend about this when it first came out. I insisted it was "cry-cut," she insisted it was "cricket." I wasn't convinced until she pointed out that the little character on the box is a cricket (which is NOT that obvious to me).
Looks like an ant from the old ants in your pants game.

kelseymel
Idol
kelseymel
In response to Bxr-Linda

"Cry-cut"? Really?

I've always pronounced it "cri-cut" (short i).

And I hate saying it. I usually just say "my machine".

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to kelseymel

• kelseymel Said:
"Cry-cut"? Really?

I've always pronounced it "cri-cut" (short i).

And I hate saying it. I usually just say "my machine".

Yes ma'am.

The long vowel rule is when there are two vowels in a word, the first one says its name (especially when there is only one consonant in between).

kelseymel
Idol
kelseymel
In response to Bxr-Linda

Now I'm so confused.

I knew they said their name if the word ended in "e", but what about "ing" or "ed"? Batting, batted, etc.

That's it. I'm moving to a country where the language makes sense.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to kelseymel

• kelseymel Said:
Now I'm so confused.

I knew they said their name if the word ended in "e", but what about "ing" or "ed"? Batting, batted, etc.

That's it. I'm moving to a country where the language makes sense.

I don't remember the specific rule, but those are short vowel sounds because of the double consonant. That's why you double the consonant before adding 'ing' or 'ed'.

Bated or bating would be a long sound.

I agree with you. You learn the rules, then learn a TON of exceptions to the rules! English IS a b@stard language, after all.

kelseymel
Idol
kelseymel
In response to Bxr-Linda

Oh yeah, like scraping and scrapping. That "p" makes a world of difference.

Thanks for the grammar reminder, Linda!

(As I sit here looking at my Crycut with utter disdain.)

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to kelseymel

• kelseymel Said:
Oh yeah, like scraping and scrapping. That "p" makes a world of difference.

Thanks for the grammar reminder, Linda!

(As I sit here looking at my Crycut with utter disdain.)

EXACTLY!

To take that error one step further.... I saw a Craigslist ad for a "scrapebook."

Don't hate your machine. Just rename it. Maybe "Larry?"

Edited by Bxr-Linda on 09-28-12 09:12 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

pugs223
Idol
pugs223
In response to Bxr-Linda

I'm not sure my DH would like it if I continuously said, "I'm going up to my scraproom to play with Larry."

kelseymel
Idol
kelseymel
In response to pugs223

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to kelseymel

Maybe Bob would be better?

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Bxr-Linda

I always thought the name Cricut was incredibly stupid! Never liked it.

I wanted to pronounce it Cri-cut too.

Then my local scrapbooks store had a Cricket (Cricut) swarm - so then I gave in and joined everyone else.

But I still think the name is stupid. I just don't like cutesy spellings.

Dont' get me started on Toys R Us!

laceyKat
Angel
laceyKat
In response to Bxr-Linda

• Bxr-Linda Said:
  • stick Said:
  • Bxr-Linda Said:
  • stick Said:

I you!!! Me too!!!!!

Whoa! Now I'm very confused.
It doesn't?!

I actually had a disagreement with a friend about this when it first came out. I insisted it was "cry-cut," she insisted it was "cricket." I wasn't convinced until she pointed out that the little character on the box is a cricket (which is NOT that obvious to me).
Looks like an ant from the old ants in your pants game.

OMG!!! Now I don't feel so stupid and not all alone!! When that machine first came out I thought.... CRY-CUT.... what a funny name for a cutting machine.. and I thought... and what's with the bug?? What's the bug have to do with this thing??

Diva
In response to laceyKat

Never thought about the "cricket" thing..I thought it was their mascot!!!!!!!!!!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics