Username Post: The Grammar Gurus        (Topic#1420201)
pugs223
Idol
pugs223
In response to madmatter

Thanks for sharing that one Mad.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to pugs223

Mad, that one is awful.

I just saw an online "worst celebrity beach bodies" article with a caption:
"Ivana shows Donald Trump what he's (not) missing while soaking up the son."

Is this some play on words that I'm not aware of?

pugs223
Idol
pugs223
In response to Bxr-Linda

I've read that about 10 times and guess I must be (not) missing the play on words too.

couldn't resist

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to pugs223

• pugs223 Said:
I've read that about 10 times and guess I must be (not) missing the play on words too.

couldn't resist

Well, you know, I don't get celebrity gossip under the rock where I live, so I wondered if perhaps Ivana Trump was having a fling with The Donald's son or something?!

pugs223
Idol
pugs223
In response to Bxr-Linda

Lol I was hung up on the (not) more than the son because in the world of journalism today, son wouldn't be wrong on spell check so of course they wouldn't catch that. The (not) on the other hand....?

PDRNC
PDRNC 
Idol
PDRNC
  • PDRNC on 01-11-13 05:41 AM
In response to pugs223

I thought you would appreciate this...

My sixth-grader is preparing for midterms. His teachers made up study guides for each subject. His ELA/reading teacher had a little heading on the top saying to start studying early because 'time flys!' Really???? On an ELA paper, no less. Oh, the irony.

PDRNC
PDRNC 
Idol
PDRNC
  • PDRNC on 01-11-13 05:44 AM
In response to PDRNC

Linda, with the exception of the youngest, I think that all of Donald's sons are Ivana's. No play on words, just plain wrong.

Mad, I love fast paste games. That's hysterical.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to PDRNC

• PDRNC Said:

My sixth-grader is preparing for midterms. His teachers made up study guides for each subject. His ELA/reading teacher had a little heading on the top saying to start studying early because 'time flys!' Really???? On an ELA paper, no less. Oh, the irony.

Oh! I would have corrected it with a thick red pen and turned it back to the teacher.

PDRNC
PDRNC 
Idol
PDRNC
  • PDRNC on 01-11-13 10:44 AM
In response to Bxr-Linda

• Bxr-Linda Said:
  • PDRNC Said:

Oh! I would have corrected it with a thick red pen and turned it back to the teacher.

A friend suggested doing that with a big '-10 points' next to it. My son was going to ask her if she did that on purpose. Of course, I told him not to mention it.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to PDRNC

When my daughter was in first grade, she did a worksheet. Circle the picture that begins with this letter.

For letter B, she circled a jet plane. Saying it was a Boeing.

Teacher marked it wrong, even after daughter explained why she circled it.

I thought that was creative. I suppose public school does not give points for creativity?

PDRNC
PDRNC 
Idol
PDRNC
  • PDRNC on 01-11-13 12:01 PM
In response to Bxr-Linda

My sixth-grader had a mad-libs-type worksheet to do. As per the instructions, he did not read the story beforehand and filled in the blanks for noun, adjective, etc. Two were marked wrong, because they didn't 'make sense' in the context of the story. I wrote a very polite note to the teacher stating that the whole point of mad-libs is to create a silly story, not to 'make sense.' He had each blank filled out correctly. I also pointed out the instructions to not read the story beforehand. She never fixed the grade. I'm still annoyed about it. Yes, it is the same teacher who wrote 'time flys.'

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to PDRNC

• PDRNC Said:
My sixth-grader had a mad-libs-type worksheet to do. As per the instructions, he did not read the story beforehand and filled in the blanks for noun, adjective, etc. Two were marked wrong, because they didn't 'make sense' in the context of the story. I wrote a very polite note to the teacher stating that the whole point of mad-libs is to create a silly story, not to 'make sense.' He had each blank filled out correctly. I also pointed out the instructions to not read the story beforehand. She never fixed the grade. I'm still annoyed about it. Yes, it is the same teacher who wrote 'time flys.'

Unless, for example, he wrote a noun instead of an adjective, how can a mad-lib be wrong?!

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to Bxr-Linda

I just saw a thread with "defiantly" where "definitely" would have been appropriate.

It was funny!

Kathy_in_wlsv
Pro
Kathy_in_wlsv
In response to apa kabar

I am finally geting to read this thread.

My number one gripe is the current practice, (ever growing, recently I spotted it in The New Yorker!!) of using the locution "one of the only..." um no. Something is one of few, or it is THE only.

Whenever DH hears is used on TV especially the news he starts singing it.."One of the only.." to the tune of "Only the Lonely."

Misplaced apostrophes are another pet peeve. I've been known to correct signs in front of shops that have misplaced punctuation.

I have worked as a newspaper writer, and was a substitute teacher for years. Grammar errors when it's obvious they are from carelessness and/ or apathy drive me nuts.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to Kathy_in_wlsv

• Kathy_in_wlsv Said:
I am finally geting to read this thread.

My number one gripe is the current practice, (ever growing, recently I spotted it in The New Yorker!!) of using the locution "one of the only..." um no. Something is one of few, or it is THE only.

Whenever DH hears is used on TV especially the news he starts singing it.."One of the only.." to the tune of "Only the Lonely."

Misplaced apostrophes are another pet peeve. I've been known to correct signs in front of shops that have misplaced punctuation.

I have worked as a newspaper writer, and was a substitute teacher for years. Grammar errors when it's obvious they are from carelessness and/ or apathy drive me nuts.

I don't think I've ever noticed that. NOW I will.

meezerpleaser
Idol
meezerpleaser
In response to Bxr-Linda

I've spent all day reading all 84 pages of this thread and have laughed myself silly... and cried a little, too. In FRUSTRATION! Yes, all of my pet peeves have been mentioned, but here are some more of my favorites:

nuclear (mispronounced nucular - thanks, George)
idear (instead of idea)
"Where's the bread at?" (Behind that preposition!)
He had went to the store. (GAH!)
Sandwich (pronounced sammich - my mom does this, and it just FROSTS me)
and finally...
Fiscal (pronounced by a financial professional constantly as "physical")
And do you know how ANNOYING it is to work for someone who, in the current fiscal climate, with "cliffs" being plummeted over, insists on pronouncing it "physical?" ARGH!!!

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to meezerpleaser

Hi Lucinda! Good to see you!

Two of the less frequent posters on another site have just popped up again after a while, and both of them type just how they speak. Not that I've ever met them, but it's all stream of consciousness, you know?

Both of them say "I had went" as well as "I seen". They must both be peculiarly American expressions, because we don't say either of those in Britain. Also "I wish I would have done..." instead of "I wish I had done..." In Britain I hear "if I had have done..." instead of "if I had done..."

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to RedSquirrel

Hey Lucinda!

I think "idear" is more a pronunciation/accent thing, than grammar. My sis-in-law [jokingly] calls me "Linder." I think it's the same sort of thing. Still slightly annoying.

I hate "ideal," instead of idea. "Using Stickles on my project is a great ideal."
NO! No!

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to Bxr-Linda

A "physical cliff" would be FRIGHTENING!!!

GMFTS
GMFTS 
Mayor
GMFTS
  • GMFTS on 01-16-13 08:21 AM
In response to Bxr-Linda

Thanks to Lucinda looking for this thread I got the idearl (idea + ideal) to definately or is it defiantly come back to see what you have been carrying on about lately.

One of my pet peeves is the misuse of quotation marks. The property managers for a building across the street from my office annually post signs requesting this: Please use the revolving door during this extreme "cold" weather.

Another peeve is Febuary.

I live in MA where the use of the letter r on the end of words that end in a is mandatory. I don't understand why the rest of you don't pronounce your words that way, especially you 'Linder".

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics