Page 2 of 92 
Username Post: The Grammar Gurus        (Topic#1420201)
SoonerT
Governor
SoonerT
In response to Judy_Scraps

• judyQ Said:
  • Lycosparks Said:
Something I keep seeing over and over is 'loose' in place of 'lose' and it drives me crazy!

That one bugs me too. Unfortunately it's a pretty common misspelling.

When you say loose and lose are you talking about...

loose - not rigidly fastened or securely attached b (1) : having worked partly free from attachments <a loose tooth> (2) : having relative freedom of movement c : produced freely and accompanied by raising of mucus <a loose cough> d : not tight-fitting

or...

lose - to be unsuccessful in retaining possession of; mislay: He's always losing his car keys.

Because I wonder, sometimes, if people use lose as in lost when they should use loose?

Edited by Fanscrapulous on 05-25-07 08:43 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

reyasunshine
Diva
reyasunshine
In response to SoonerT

Well, either way... I see that, and it bothers me too! LOL.

scrappercaz
Governor
scrappercaz
In response to reyasunshine

I know it's kind of different because she's just a kid but my youngest dd used to write 'are' when she meant 'our', i.e. "grandma came to are house." I could only put it down to the way it's spoken in the end.

petergabrielfan
Queen
petergabrielfan

I knew I'd find Judy and Reyanna here! I too am addicted to good spelling and grammar. My least favorite thing to see is definitely when people make plural words into possessives. Ex: meal's, soda's. It seriously makes me nutso when I see that in print.

Meak72
Meak72 
Mayor
Meak72
In response to petergabrielfan

Hey Girls,

Have you heard of this woman? I saw her on Oprah a few weeks ago. You can visit Oprah's site and enter her name in the search box and come up with transcripts from the show.

Article on Mignon Fogarty (Grammar Girl)

Just thought I would pop in with that link. If you Google Grammar Girl or Mignon Fogarty you will come up with many interviews and other related things. I'm not sure if she has a website of her own.

See ya!

reyasunshine
Diva
reyasunshine

• petergabrielfan Said:
I knew I'd find Judy and Reyanna here! I too am addicted to good spelling and grammar. My least favorite thing to see is definitely when people make plural words into possessives. Ex: meal's, soda's. It seriously makes me nutso when I see that in print.

I HATE THAT!!!! I really feel that in the last few years... this has gotten worse. EVERYBODY does it! GAH! How can you forget how to make a noun plural? You just add an 's'! LOL. That's probably my biggest pet peeve on online message boards too.

reyasunshine
Diva
reyasunshine

Carrie, thanks for that link! I enjoyed reading the article. That's SO cool!

PokeyMom
Pro
PokeyMom

My 2 cents -
Your -- (owning)
You're -- (you are, subject and verb, contraction)
You're welcome not your welcome.

Verses -- as in songs or poems
Versus -- as in one versus another

their -- belonging to someone ("heir" to remind you of possession)
there -- a place ("here" to remind you of a place)
they're -- they are

who's -- as in who is or who has
whose -- the possesive form -- EX: Whose mess is this?

it's -- it is or it has
its -- EX: The car, its motor . . . -- if you can substitute "his" (his motor) for its and it makes sense, then it is the correct form.

Judy_Scraps
Mayor
Judy_Scraps

• petergabrielfan Said:
I knew I'd find Judy and Reyanna here!

I saw the post below on my local town forum today. A little background - this person posted something, then someone else commented on them using the word "wut" instead of "what." Here's their response:

is that all u got, with my post? people mispell words all the time, no one is perfect, thats Y they put erasers on pencils, lets not change the subject, go back to bottle digging if thats wut u do,,

I hate when people post on forums using text messaging lingo (if that's wut they were doing).

petergabrielfan
Queen
petergabrielfan

Judy, you almost killed me with that above post!! I could feel the perfectionist in me dying to correct every last text message grammar mistake.

Judy_Scraps
Mayor
Judy_Scraps

The use of the letter Y instead of "why" is what got me. How much harder is it to type those two extra characters?

dashe79
Expert
dashe79

I hate when people misuse "into." I see that one a lot. Like this: "She turned herself into police." Wow, that is some trick!

There are other words like that that bother me, like "every day" and "everyday." Ugh!

petergabrielfan
Queen
petergabrielfan
In response to dashe79

I can't remember if it's been mentioned on this particular thread, but I also hate alot.

Another one that makes me crings is this: "I wore my hair like that WHENEVER I got married." Did she get married multiple times with the same hairstyle??

scrapbookbuzz
Diva
scrapbookbuzz
In response to silhouette74

• silhouette74 Said:
LOL the grammar gurus...cute thread title. I'm all for that as you can see by the other thread that this originated in.

Don't you mean: "I'm all for that, as you can see, by the other thread in which this originated?"

Does proofreading and grammar correction run thickly through my blood? No...not at all...

(I'm so glad I'm not alone!)

scrapbookbuzz
Diva
scrapbookbuzz
In response to scrapbookbuzz

My personal pet peeves:

"I seen her at the mall."

"Can you hang that pitcher on the wall?"

"I axed you a question."

"It's my birfday." (It's one thing when a kid says this; it's quite another when an ADULT still says this!)

scrapandy
Diva
scrapandy

I'm not a complete grammar nazi, but my family thinks I am! I have to hold myself back from correcting them so as not to offend anyone

Now my 5th graders, that is a different story! I will NOT accept papers from them in text lingo, but they definitely try.

Judy_Scraps
Mayor
Judy_Scraps

• scrapbookbuzz Said:
"It's my birfday." (It's one thing when a kid says this; it's quite another when an ADULT still says this!)

That makes me think of a former coworker (a 40 year old woman) who used to say "libary" instead of libRary. Like you said, when it's a kid it's ok. An adult should know better.

My son catches himself using chat lingo on his homework papers all the time. Sometimes it slips through and his teacher catches it.

Twinstars
Guru
Twinstars

• scrapbookbuzz Said:
My personal pet peeves:

"I seen her at the mall."

"Can you hang that pitcher on the wall?"

"I axed you a question."

I am SO in on this thread!!! I have multiple grammar pet peeves, many of which have already been mentioned.

I HATE "I seen." Also, I work with a girl who says pitcher for picture and I want to scream every time she says it.

Along with the birfday thing, I used to work in a restaurant and people would always request a "boof."

My mom, SIL and I almost always say axed instead of asked (when talking to each other only, of course!) because it makes us laugh.

Two things I heard recently that irritated me: "I had got" and "we had went."

Twinstars
Guru
Twinstars
In response to Twinstars

I saw a sign for a Chinese restaurant the other day and the N was backwards. Wouldn't you double and triple check yourself on something permanent like that?!

apa kabar
Queen
apa kabar
In response to Twinstars

Oooh, I just found this thread.... I've always been fascinated by grammar

Talking about proofreading, in CK June 2007 I saw one LO with this title: Our GEORGOUS Girl! That's pretty bad....

And what about LO's? What's up with the apostrophe?

Page 2 of 92 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics