Page 3 of 92 
Username Post: The Grammar Gurus        (Topic#1420201)
Lycosparks
Mayor
Lycosparks
In response to apa kabar

Oh and how can I forget what irks me the most? Ever since I moved from NY to PA I've been hearing this:

"The lawn needs mowed."
"The car needs washed."
"The dog needs fed."

WHAT HAPPENED TO THE VERB "TO BE" AROUND HERE?

reyasunshine
Diva
reyasunshine
In response to apa kabar

Yeah, the apostrophe in LOs!! AHHHH! I thought that plural nouns were supposed to be one of the *easy* lessons they taught us in English class...

And oh, Sarah!!! That "whenever" thing!! I cringed when you *typed* it! It's a southwest thing. Even my English teacher said it in high school. And although my husband is a Spelling Bee champ and grammar guru like me... he says it too. But that's what they say in Colorado, New Mexico, etc, and that's where he grew up.

And yeah, my BIL says "libary" AND "refigerator"! Now my nieces (age 5) are starting to say it. Good thing my sister is nipping that in the bud!

Oh... question... has anybody ever heard, "So don't I" used in place of "so do I"? My sister's husband's family says it ALL the time. They also say, "so aren't you," but not as often. My sister is CONSTANTLY correcting her nieces because their parents say it at home. Now... how much sense does that make?!

Lauri, now that is just horrendous!

Edited by reyasunshine on 06-02-07 01:32 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

scrapbookbuzz
Diva
scrapbookbuzz
In response to apa kabar

• apa kabar Said:

And what about LO's? What's up with the apostrophe?

I'm not sure but I think this is one of the "exceptions to the rule" because of the abbreviation. But I'm going to have to research it. (Otherwise, I, too, have been in error. )

scrapbookbuzz
Diva
scrapbookbuzz
In response to apa kabar

• apa kabar Said:

And what about LO's? What's up with the apostrophe?

I found this quote on
Apostrophe Tip Sheet

"In general, apostrophes are used for the following purposes: to show possession; to indicate that an indefinite pronoun is possessive; and to pluralize numbers mentioned as numbers, letters mentioned as letters, words mentioned as words, and abbreviations. "

Does that answer your question?

scrappingbeth
Idol
scrappingbeth
In response to scrapbookbuzz

Ignore - I was thinking about contractions, not abbreviations.

Edited by scrappingbeth on 06-02-07 02:45 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

scrapbookbuzz
Diva
scrapbookbuzz
In response to scrappingbeth

No problem. I'm glad you mentioned it. I'd hate to be grammatically incorrect!

reyasunshine
Diva
reyasunshine

Well, if you're going to get technical like that, then it would be L'O's. In the Associated Press Stylebook, it says that LOs would not get an apostrophe. Like DVDs... no apostrophe. I think when it says "abbreviations," that means you use an apostrophe for words like "gov't or add'l." I guess one could argue what "LO" really is...

For example, "lb" is the abbreviation for "pounds," but we do not say "2 lb's," we say "2 lbs." It would say "plural abbreviations" like it did for "plural nouns" if that was the case so I'm still following the AP's rule of no apostrophe for "LOs."

Note: The Associated Press Stylebook also says that numbers do NOT get apostrophes: "1900s" and neither do letters: "Two Ds"

Edited by reyasunshine on 06-04-07 05:39 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Lycosparks
Mayor
Lycosparks
In response to reyasunshine

• reyasunshine Said:
Note: The Associated Press Stylebook also says that numbers do NOT get apostrophes: "1900s" and neither do letters: "Two Ds"

Oh thank you for mentioning this!! I must confess I could never remember if dates needed apostrophes or not!

scrappercaz
Governor
scrappercaz
In response to Lycosparks

I LOVE this thread!

dashe79
Expert
dashe79
In response to scrappercaz

I just saw some numbers, and it reminded me of how much I hate when people use weird apostrophes and quote marks around them.

In high school, our class officers got us shirts that said: Class of "97." WHAT? I couldn't even wear it, it made me cringe so much. Where were the teachers when that was approved?

Or things such as: He was born in the 70's. WHAT? Ugh!

(Actually, in the above paragraph, I started to write "like" and then I had to go back and switch it to "such as." Another pet peeve!)

reyasunshine
Diva
reyasunshine
In response to dashe79

Deidre: I say "like" ALL the time... but I think that's because I was born and raised in Orange County, California... I come by it honestly, at least! LOL. I'm really trying hard to stop saying it though now that I'm older... and DON'T live there anymore!

I'm really confused about that website though... it's from SUNY College... I wonder why they published incorrect information. Or maybe they just don't use AP Stylebook as a reference. AP Stylebook is the reference for media publications. In my opinion, that is the reference that should be used.

Edited by reyasunshine on 06-06-07 03:33 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

dashe79
Expert
dashe79

Hey Reyanna -- your "like" is different than the one I was referring to. I still say that "like" all the time!

I am very much an AP style nerd and find it hard to write things non-AP style, such as when I'm writing a list and I leave off the last comma before the "and." People probably think I don't know my commas, but I do! Another example is taking the first way of spelling a word in the dictionary. While the dictionary says "canceled" and "cancelled" are correct, AP style says to go with the first version. (So I always cringe when I see it the second way!)

reyasunshine
Diva
reyasunshine
In response to dashe79

Oh, I know you meant "like" as in "such as," but what I meant was... I use it for that in addition to just a "throw in" word. LOL.

The comma in a list! When I was in college, my psych teacher marked me for missing that comma. (As if!) Well, he circled that I made a mistake, but he didn't deduct any points.

Also the "canceled" thing! That just came up at my work the other day. Because I work at a hotel, it comes up rather frequently, but usually not "cancelled" so I looked it up (thinking perhaps that was an accepted spelling), and it's the *British* spelling. Made perfect sense... our General Manager is British!

Edited by reyasunshine on 06-06-07 07:24 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

scrapbookbuzz
Diva
scrapbookbuzz

That whole canceled vs. cancelled thing...

to me "cancelled" looks better to me. However, for you grammar nazis, er, I mean, gurus, I'll write "canceled."

reyasunshine
Diva
reyasunshine

Well, it's true... there are alternate accepted spellings in other English-speaking countries... like the "ou" thing in Europe and Canada. Some words still look better to me with the "ou" (I dated a Canadian). And I prefer "grey" to "gray" ... not sure for what reason. I just like the way it looks.

petergabrielfan
Queen
petergabrielfan

I saw one the other day in a book:

"It is difficult to breath up here."

Hate that mistake, too!

Judy_Scraps
Mayor
Judy_Scraps
In response to petergabrielfan

I read a thread here last night and the poster used "have went" in her sentence.

(Do we have a nails scraping on a chalkboard smiley?)

scrapbookbuzz
Diva
scrapbookbuzz
In response to Judy_Scraps

I seen that, too.

(Ooo, did you cringe just now?? )

scrappercaz
Governor
scrappercaz

• reyasunshine Said:
Also the "canceled" thing! That just came up at my work the other day. Because I work at a hotel, it comes up rather frequently, but usually not "cancelled" so I looked it up (thinking perhaps that was an accepted spelling), and it's the *British* spelling. Made perfect sense... our General Manager is British!

Funny because I'd been reading this thread and thinking I always do that word with a double 'l' and hadn't realised it might be wrong - and it's not! Just a version

Judy_Scraps
Mayor
Judy_Scraps

• scrapbookbuzz Said:
I seen that, too.

Ba da boom!

Page 3 of 92 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics