Page 4 of 92 
Username Post: The Grammar Gurus        (Topic#1420201)
reyasunshine
Diva
reyasunshine
In response to scrapbookbuzz

• scrapbookbuzz Said:
I seen that, too.

(Ooo, did you cringe just now?? )

GAH! Are you trying to kill me!??!

NittanyLionGirl
Pro
NittanyLionGirl
In response to scrappingbeth

Me, me, me! I'm in!

I'm a copy editor for a newspaper, so I think, by nature, I am most definitely a "grammar guru." I've always been a grammar freak, but once I began copy editing at my student newspaper about a year and a half ago, I knew I had found my calling!

NittanyLionGirl
Pro
NittanyLionGirl
In response to NittanyLionGirl

Dashe, I think we're soulmates! I have to write everything according to AP style as well. I will never put a comma before 'and' in a list, and I refuse to accept that 'canceled' can have two Ls.

Web site is always two words, Internet is always capitalized and I never use zip code abbreviations for states anymore (California is Calif., not Ca, Arizona is Ariz., not Az, and Delaware is Del., not De).

My biggest pet peevs, though, stem from grammar, not AP style. It drives me nuts when people use 'good' instead of 'well,' and as strange as it sounds, 'nauseous' instead of 'nauseated' (It's almost always supposed to be the latter, as in "I feel nauseated").

reyasunshine
Diva
reyasunshine

Oh, gosh, I know!!! "Nauseated"!!! I think I'm the ONLY person I know (in real life), who actually uses it correctly (if at all)! GAH!

reyasunshine
Diva
reyasunshine
In response to reyasunshine

Have any of you seen www.getitwriteonline.com? It is SO cool! And has a section on the "nauseated" thing. I love that it says to just avoid the word "nauseous" completely.

scrapbookbuzz
Diva
scrapbookbuzz

Check out this poor punctuation, spelling, etc! The topic is not important, but I did pull it from a thread here on sb.com. In my opinion, if someone has an issue with something going on in one of the forums, they should at least check their spelling and punctuation! Oi!

This is a direct quote:

ok this flaker issues has to stop this is getting out of control........

i am couple swaps that were due friday and two of them only half the people have sent in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the one i am angel hosting............. one have rec two packages i know 2 more are on the way.....

other is the abc's of disney and a ton are not here

i have pmed and pmed..

some have read the pms and not repied ( i find this very rude)

but it is geting so hard to swap and host because of all the flakers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

but wanted to say thanks to all the ladies who are on time and get there items in (sic)

dashe79
Expert
dashe79

• NittanyLionGirl Said:
Dashe, I think we're soulmates! I have to write everything according to AP style as well. I will never put a comma before 'and' in a list, and I refuse to accept that 'canceled' can have two Ls.

Web site is always two words, Internet is always capitalized and I never use zip code abbreviations for states anymore (California is Calif., not Ca, Arizona is Ariz., not Az, and Delaware is Del., not De).

My biggest pet peevs, though, stem from grammar, not AP style. It drives me nuts when people use 'good' instead of 'well,' and as strange as it sounds, 'nauseous' instead of 'nauseated' (It's almost always supposed to be the latter, as in "I feel nauseated").

I hate the way ZIP code states look! (Same with Street, Avenue, etc., when necessary.)

I had a flashback the other day to my first internship after my freshman year of college, where I was writing a story about a couple running a marathon in honor of their neighbor. My editor was going over the article with me, and in front of the word marathon, she wrote "26.2-mile." And I told her that she didn't need to do that because it was redundant. I almost thought I was going to have to take my byline off the story because I was so embarrassed by that! (Eventually another editor there told her the mileage wasn't necessary, thank goodness!)

I think the spelling perfectionist in me comes from having names (first, middle and last) that get butchered all the time. I hate when my name is misspelled!

reyasunshine
Diva
reyasunshine
In response to dashe79

Oh, Deidre, I know the feeling! I have been called a million different names. LOL.

Scrapbookbuzz: Wow!

As the Reservations Supervisor, I need to check over every reservation that comes through our hotel. I'm really only supposed to be checking dinner reservations, deposits, etc. However, I ALWAYS correct spelling and grammar mistakes while I'm in there. One girl spells "believe" as "belive" EVERY time.

Judy_Scraps
Mayor
Judy_Scraps

I stumbled on an email at work last night. For some reason one of our sales people forwarded it to us even though there was no reason to. It was a correspondence between her and a customer. She actually had the nerve to bad mouth my department to her customer in the email. If that wasn't bad enough, she typed "I know, there a bunch of idiots."

scrapbookbuzz
Diva
scrapbookbuzz
In response to Judy_Scraps

Yikes!

Is her birthday soon? Maybe she could use automatic correction software!

scrappercaz
Governor
scrappercaz

I saw this phrase recently about two people being in the same situation "so were in the same bought then."

I'm not an 'expert' on grammer and I didn't study English beyond senior school, so the finer points may pass me by, but I do like correct spelling.

Lycosparks
Mayor
Lycosparks
In response to scrappercaz

Oh my! That one took me a moment to understand! That's terrible.

reyasunshine
Diva
reyasunshine
In response to Lycosparks

Judy, that's awful!! But what a great way to shoot yourself in the foot! HA!

Carolyn: Funny! People are so clueless.

scrapbookbuzz
Diva
scrapbookbuzz

• scrappercaz Said:
I saw this phrase recently about two people being in the same situation "so were in the same bought then."

I'm not an 'expert' on grammer and I didn't study English beyond senior school, so the finer points may pass me by, but I do like correct spelling.

Took me a minute to get this one!

And since you like proper spelling, the word is spelled g-r-a-m-m-a-r.

scrappercaz
Governor
scrappercaz

Damn - knew that really!!

Twinstars
Guru
Twinstars

A few more things I just thought of that annoy me:

- Using past/passed interchangeably
- Suppose to, old fashion, ice tea
- Supposably, expecially

reyasunshine
Diva
reyasunshine
In response to Twinstars

Oh, Jen! Those are so common I'm sure most people think they're correct!

And "supposably" ... my SISTER says that! I still correct her, but I think now it's just habit. She probably just thinks it's cute. LOL.

scrapbookbuzz
Diva
scrapbookbuzz

Did you axe her why she does that?

Judy_Scraps
Mayor
Judy_Scraps
In response to Twinstars

• Twinstars Said:
old fashion, ice tea

OMG I used to work for a company that produced grocery flyers and I saw this all the time. The culprits were the store owners who wrote out their own sales plans! Now that I design ads for a newspaper I still see that but I'm aloud to fix it.

(Yes, I know I spelled allowed wrong! )

scrappercaz
Governor
scrappercaz
In response to Judy_Scraps

Points for spotting the deliberate mistake?

Page 4 of 92 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics