Page 92 of 92 
Username Post: The Grammar Gurus        (Topic#1420201)
RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to sassiescrapper

I think they've got it right actually, even if that's not what they meant. Most men do want to be complimented. And if they want a solemate, I can give them the number of a cobbler.

I love that Weird Al song!

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to Bxr-Linda

• Bxr-Linda Said:
  • RedSquirrel Said:
Hmm. My first feeling was the same as yours, but the more I thought about it, the less convinced I was. If it were "Save your scrapbook.com images", there would be no question of a possessive, but I think because "peas" is plural, and because they refer to themselves as peas, there's an instinct to make it possessive as well. They have already captured the possessive in "your".

I hadn't dissected it quite like that.

What if you are saving photos from your two brothers? Would it not be: "Save your brothers' photos." ??

On the other hand, you wouldn't say, "save your Facebook's images."

You may be correct.

(I love these discussions. )

(Me too!)

"Save your brothers' photos" has two possessives, (not to mention two plurals). The brothers belong to you, and the photos to the brothers, so you'd need the apostrophe in "brothers'". The photos are not yours in this case.

But in the sentence "Save your Two Peas images" the images are yours, they don't belong to Two Peas. "Two Peas" is just an adjective that describes the images. I think that's the grammatical explanation. Did I get that right?

sassiescrapper
Expert
sassiescrapper
In response to RedSquirrel

• RedSquirrel Said:
I think they've got it right actually, even if that's not what they meant. Most men do want to be complimented. And if they want a solemate, I can give them the number of a cobbler.

I love that Weird Al song!

RedSquirrel - haha! I think you may be right. And your comment about the cobbler made me laugh out loud!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

If they are looking for a solemate I would send them a fish!

I agree Rosey - I think Two Peas images is correct even though it looks kind of awkward.

laceyKat
Angel
laceyKat
In response to corrie fan

• corrie fan Said:
Don't go visit dating sites. lol

Men want to meet someone to compliment them. And they know "your out there" (UGH). Or how about meeting their solemate.

Great video!!! TFS!

laceyKat
Angel
laceyKat

• sassiescrapper Said:
Hi! I came to this thread to mention Weird Al's Word Crimes but I see some other posters have beat me to it. I love it so much! LOL!!

Here's a link:
http://www.weirdal.com

Click on the #WordCrimes video link. It is AWESOME! I think this group would appreciate it.

By the way, my biggest pet peeve is using "compliment" in place of "complement." Ugh! Ok, that's all.

Thanks for the video link!!! That was great!!

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to laceyKat

Aggghhhh!!!

My head is about to explode!!!

Grammar gurus, indeed.

Page 92 of 92 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics