Username Post: The Grammar Gurus        (Topic#1420201)
Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to Mommy2EMB

• Mommy2EMB Said:
  • celstin0406 Said:

I also like to use "mebbe", "prolly" and "nekkid" because they make me laugh

Ahh prolly to me is like nails down a chalkboard!! LOL

Oh, me too!!! Hate that one. Hate to hear it or see it written.

Mommy2EMB
Veteran
Mommy2EMB
In response to celstin0406

• celstin0406 Said:
  • Mommy2EMB Said:
  • celstin0406 Said:

Sorry, will try to avoid that and other such things in this thread at least. Well, you have to give me "nekkid", it's so darn cute when referencing nekkid babies! Nekkid baby butts in particular.

LOL I love nekkid! No need to avoid using prolly just because of me though!!

Another thing I've noticed on a few of my cousin's Myspace posts...they use "meh" instead of me or "muh" for my, as in: Somoene send meh a message or comment on muh pics. Isn't the point to shorten the word rather than make it longer?? Another one is they add extra letters to a word: I'm so boredd, I wish it was the weekendd. WHY????

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda

• celstin0406 Said:
  • Bxr-Linda Said:
  • celstin0406 Said:
Funk sway, that's cute! But I kinda have more sympathy for it when it's another language altogether!

But for the lady who writes "the smorning", come on!!! Surely you've seen the words "this" and "morning" written out before.

smorning!?

I saw someone here talk about a sammich. It took me a minute... oh, okay, you mean two slices of bread and something in between.

Well, I dunno if they were just using it as a colloquialism (such as "I dunno"), which I do fairly frequently. I do it to make my written words sound a bit more like spoken words, or to be funny and tongue-in-cheek.

Sure, okay. Point taken. I think what happens is that people see it like that and begin to think it's correct!

And who actually pronounces it 'sammich?'

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to Mommy2EMB

• celstin0406 Said:

Another thing I've noticed on a few of my cousin's Myspace posts...they use "meh" instead of me or "muh" for my, as in: Somoene send meh a message or comment on muh pics. Isn't the point to shorten the word rather than make it longer?? Another one is they add extra letters to a word: I'm so boredd, I wish it was the weekendd. WHY????

Good point!!
Meh? Muh? Really!?!

It's probably like part-tay --trying to be hip. (Although I think it's stooopid! )

celstin0406
Idol
celstin0406
In response to Bxr-Linda

• Bxr-Linda Said:
  • celstin0406 Said:
  • Bxr-Linda Said:
  • celstin0406 Said:
Funk sway, that's cute! But I kinda have more sympathy for it when it's another language altogether!

But for the lady who writes "the smorning", come on!!! Surely you've seen the words "this" and "morning" written out before.

smorning!?

I saw someone here talk about a sammich. It took me a minute... oh, okay, you mean two slices of bread and something in between.

Well, I dunno if they were just using it as a colloquialism (such as "I dunno"), which I do fairly frequently. I do it to make my written words sound a bit more like spoken words, or to be funny and tongue-in-cheek.

Sure, okay. Point taken. I think what happens is that people see it like that and begin to think it's correct!

And who actually pronounces it 'sammich?'

My dork of a husband, as a joke

celstin0406
Idol
celstin0406
In response to Mommy2EMB

• Mommy2EMB Said:
  • celstin0406 Said:
  • Mommy2EMB Said:
  • celstin0406 Said:

Sorry, will try to avoid that and other such things in this thread at least. Well, you have to give me "nekkid", it's so darn cute when referencing nekkid babies! Nekkid baby butts in particular.

LOL I love nekkid! No need to avoid using prolly just because of me though!!

I've not seen that yet! I've only seen "meh" in describing a feeling, as in "I was kind of meh about the play".

celstin0406
Idol
celstin0406
In response to Bxr-Linda

• Quote:

Well, then they are idiots for getting their grammar from internet forums instead of from real books and newspapers!

That's what kills me too, people getting vast amounts of misinformation from the web...not from expert sites, but from forums. "I heard it online that if I drank Drano on a regular basis, I would conceive more easily"

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda

• celstin0406 Said:

• Quote:

Well, then they are idiots for getting their grammar from internet forums instead of from real books and newspapers!

That's what kills me too, people getting vast amounts of misinformation from the web...not from expert sites, but from forums. "I heard it online that if I drank Drano on a regular basis, I would conceive more easily"

Thanks for the laugh.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to Wordweaver

• Wordweaver Said:

A friend and I were discussing this topic and she proposed with the advent of the computer and spell and grammar check, many people are too dependent on the computer tools and tend to not proof their work. I agree with this, but as a nation, we are doing a very poor job of teaching our children the rules of standard American English. The use of texting and the casual use of single letters instead of full words is not helping our youth learn proper grammar or spelling.

More people should use spell checkers, huh?

I'm sure many of you have seen this before, but I thought it was appropriate to add here.

Ode to my spell Chequer
Eye halve a spelling chequer
it came with my pea sea
it planely marques four my revue
miss steaks eye kin knot sea.
Eye strike a key and tipe a werd
and weight four it two say
weather eye am wrong oar write
it shows me strait a weigh.
As soon as a mist ache is maid
it nose bee fore two long
and eye can put the error rite
its rare lea ever wrong.
Eye have run this poem threw it
I am shore your pleased two no
its letter perfect awl the weigh
my chequer tolled me sew.

Twinstars
Guru
Twinstars
In response to Bxr-Linda

• celstin0406 Said:

I've got a few words like this too - I like to say libarry instead of library because it makes me laugh (and I would never say it in front of anyone who didn't know I knew better!!)

One thing that's been bothering me a lot lately is cannot written as two words.

celstin0406
Idol
celstin0406
In response to Twinstars

• Twinstars Said:
  • celstin0406 Said:

I've got a few words like this too - I like to say libarry instead of library because it makes me laugh (and I would never say it in front of anyone who didn't know I knew better!!)

One thing that's been bothering me a lot lately is cannot written as two words.

I can not fathom that of which you speak

One I've seen fairly frequently is "no one" written as a single word, as in "noone".

RaquelEG
Veteran
RaquelEG

Sorry couldn"t resist adding one. My younger sister is 20 and she babysits for me. When I go pick up my daughters, she'll tell me "she took them a shower or bath". It drives me crazy!! I correct her everytime and she just says " you know what I mean". I finally just gave up.

ScrapperSara22
Guru
ScrapperSara22
In response to RaquelEG

One word... "exepabl..." Can you guess what it was supposed to be??? And it was spelled this way twice in the same paragraph. ARGH!!!

I was proofreading a paper for a friend, and they had a run on sentance. I corrected it, and when they asked why and I explained, they said that they, "thought it sounded better that way," and proceeded to change it back!

Ami G
Ami G 
Diva
Ami G
  • Ami G on 01-23-09 08:01 PM
In response to ScrapperSara22

Lately, I have seen people using "quite" when they obviously should be using "quiet". How can this even be happening? I mean, really.

scrapbookbuzz
Diva
scrapbookbuzz
In response to Ami G

Don't nobody know how ta speak no more?

(Sorry. I couldn't resist. )

Wordweaver
Guru
Wordweaver
In response to Bxr-Linda

• Bxr-Linda Said:
  • Wordweaver Said:

A friend and I were discussing this topic and she proposed with the advent of the computer and spell and grammar check, many people are too dependent on the computer tools and tend to not proof their work. I agree with this, but as a nation, we are also doing a very poor job of teaching our children the rules of standard American English. The use of texting and the casual use of single letters instead of full words is not helping our youth learn proper grammar or spelling.

More people should use spell checkers, huh?

I'm sure many of you have seen this before, but I thought it was appropriate to add here.

Ode to my spell Chequer
Eye halve a spelling chequer
it came with my pea sea
it planely marques four my revue
miss steaks eye kin knot sea.
Eye strike a key and tipe a werd
and weight four it two say
weather eye am wrong oar write
it shows me strait a weigh.
As soon as a mist ache is maid
it nose bee fore two long
and eye can put the error rite
its rare lea ever wrong.
Eye have run this poem threw it
I am shore your pleased two no
its letter perfect awl the weigh
my chequer tolled me sew.

First of all cute poem. However, I was not saying we need to use spell checkers more, rather spell checkers should just be one tool we use to aid us in proofing. Always proof read even AFTER you have spell checked. I believe that folks go too fast in trying to respond to threads. Going to fast makes it possible to read the context of a post incorrectly.

celstin0406
Idol
celstin0406
In response to ScrapperSara22

• ScrapperSara22 Said:
One word... "exepabl..." Can you guess what it was supposed to be??? And it was spelled this way twice in the same paragraph. ARGH!!!

I was proofreading a paper for a friend, and they had a run on sentance. I corrected it, and when they asked why and I explained, they said that they, "thought it sounded better that way," and proceeded to change it back!

They thought a non-word sounded better than a real world???

What was the word supposed to be? Example?

celstin0406
Idol
celstin0406
In response to Ami G

• Ami G Said:
Lately, I have seen people using "quite" when they obviously should be using "quiet". How can this even be happening? I mean, really.

Oy, I see that one all the time. It's easy to do as a typo, but I always self-correct my typos as I am typing. And I never, EVER use spell-check. I might check a single word that I am in doubt of, but never a whole essay or paper or post.

Judy_Scraps
Mayor
Judy_Scraps
In response to Ami G

• Ami G Said:

I'm anal about spelling but I do that a lot. In my case, it's a simple typo.

Judy_Scraps
Mayor
Judy_Scraps
In response to Twinstars

• Twinstars Said:
Another one that bugs me is "piece a" instead of "piece of" (ex. piece a cake).

That goes right along with "could of" or "would of." Oh, let's throw in "should of" for good measure.

"Of" is not a verb. The correct way to say it is "could have," "would have" and "should have."

Just to bug other spelling/grammar gurus, I like to say "coulda, woulda, shoulda."

I read a post on a local forum earlier this week. The person used the word "excuse" several times when they meant "accuse." Big, big difference!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics