Username Post: The Grammar Gurus        (Topic#1420201)
Judy_Scraps
Mayor
Judy_Scraps
In response to Judy_Scraps

Prolly bugs me too, but I am guilty as charged of typing "I dunno" quite often. I use it to give my post a dumbed down tone as in "beats me."

Judy_Scraps
Mayor
Judy_Scraps
In response to Bxr-Linda

• Bxr-Linda Said:
"Your my little angel." IS WRONG!!!

I love it when people spell it angle instead of angel.

celstin0406
Idol
celstin0406

• judyQ Said:
  • Twinstars Said:
Another one that bugs me is "piece a" instead of "piece of" (ex. piece a cake).

That goes right along with "could of" or "would of." Oh, let's throw in "should of" for good measure.

"Of" is not a verb. The correct way to say it is "could have," "would have" and "should have."

Just to bug other spelling/grammar gurus, I like to say "coulda, woulda, shoulda."

I read a post on a local forum earlier this week. The person used the word "excuse" several times when they meant "accuse." Big, big difference!

Oh yeah, I see "could of" etc., a lot!

Another is "except" when they actually mean "accept"

celstin0406
Idol
celstin0406

• judyQ Said:
Prolly bugs me too, but I am guilty as charged of typing "I dunno" quite often. I use it to give my post a dumbed down tone as in "beats me."

"Dunno" reminds me of one of my favourite childhood books, Anne of Green Gables. Matthew always said "dunno" and when I was little, I didn't know what it meant, I had to ask my mother!

Twinstars
Guru
Twinstars
In response to ScrapperSara22

• ScrapperSara22 Said:
One word... "exepabl..." Can you guess what it was supposed to be??? And it was spelled this way twice in the same paragraph. ARGH!!!

I was proofreading a paper for a friend, and they had a run on sentance. I corrected it, and when they asked why and I explained, they said that they, "thought it sounded better that way," and proceeded to change it back!

I'm going to guess this was supposed to be "acceptable" ?!?

Twinstars
Guru
Twinstars
In response to Twinstars

I think I've mentioned this one already, but I hate when I see "suppose to" or "use to." I've even seen suppota before?!?!

Judy_Scraps
Mayor
Judy_Scraps
In response to Twinstars

• Twinstars Said:
I've even seen suppota before

I see that all the time. It's not even a word.

celstin0406
Idol
celstin0406

For those of you who hate "prolly", I just saw "probley"!

YIKES. I use "prolly" because it is so obviously wrong, and I hope, hope, HOPE this person meant it tongue-in-cheek!

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to Wordweaver

• Wordweaver Said:

First of all cute poem. However, I was not saying we need to use spell checkers more, rather spell checkers should just be one tool we use to aid us in proofing. Always proof read even AFTER you have spell checked. I believe that folks go too fast in trying to respond to threads. Going to fast makes it possible to read the context of a post incorrectly.

I understand.
I was implying that some people may rely on spell checkers too much, and my not even recognize when words are spelled wrong.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda

• ScrapperSara22 Said:
One word... "exepabl..." Can you guess what it was supposed to be??? And it was spelled this way twice in the same paragraph. ARGH!!!

I was proofreading a paper for a friend, and they had a run on sentance. I corrected it, and when they asked why and I explained, they said that they, "thought it sounded better that way," and proceeded to change it back!

I'm dying of curiosity! What is "exepabl..." ??

Acceptable?

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to Bxr-Linda

I may have posted this before, but it just came to mind again.

When my office was placing an ad in the yellow pages, I called and made a change over the phone. When the ad proof came back, it read, "credit cards excepted."

ScrapperSara22
Guru
ScrapperSara22
In response to Bxr-Linda

Yes, it was acceptable! Sorry to take so long to get back to you!

Twinstars
Guru
Twinstars

Here's another one I hate: "I (we/they/etc) seen ____."

Also, I heard someone say "dubya" today for the letter W. (Yes, I know that our ex-president said it that way, but he's hardly someone we should be modeling ourselves after ). Anyhow, I remember that my 5th grade teacher said it that way too. Is it any wonder that we're surrounded by people who don't know any better?!?

Twinstars
Guru
Twinstars
In response to Twinstars

Today I got an email indicating that something has been canceled due to the "increment" weather. I would like to pretend it's just a typo, but R and L are really nowhere near each other.

celstin0406
Idol
celstin0406
In response to Twinstars

• Twinstars Said:
Today I got an email indicating that something has been canceled due to the "increment" weather. I would like to pretend it's just a typo, but R and L are really nowhere near each other.

Uh, so the weather is creeping up in small amounts?

Ami G
Ami G 
Diva
Ami G
  • Ami G on 01-28-09 10:47 AM
In response to celstin0406

• celstin0406 Said:
  • Twinstars Said:

Mommy2EMB
Veteran
Mommy2EMB
In response to Ami G

• Ami G Said:
  • celstin0406 Said:
  • Twinstars Said:

LMAO!

OllieStar
Tenant
OllieStar
In response to celstin0406

• celstin0406 Said:
  • Twinstars Said:

There are many, many funny quips in this thread, but I vote the above reply as my all-time favourite!

OllieStar
Tenant
OllieStar
In response to OllieStar

Love this thread, have enjoyed reading all 11 pages of it, and have one problem to point out...We all seem to be on the same page! How can we educate the masses when we all seem to be unlikely to need the help?

Lori

BTW, I belong to the funniest group on Facebook: I judge you when you use poor grammar. I am not active within the group, but I like having the statement out there, representing my core beliefs and values.

Edited by OllieStar on 01-28-09 01:10 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

celstin0406
Idol
celstin0406
In response to OllieStar

• OllieStar Said:
  • celstin0406 Said:
  • Twinstars Said:

There are many, many funny quips in this thread, but I vote the above reply as my all-time favourite!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics