Page 5 of 92 
Username Post: The Grammar Gurus        (Topic#1420201)
scrapbookbuzz
Diva
scrapbookbuzz
In response to scrappercaz

I love this thread!

And since we're having fun being picky, check out my thread on RSVP Etiquette in this forum!

Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 06-21-07 05:41 AM
In response to petergabrielfan

Hi everyone! Just found this thread and have to chime in, if that's ok. How do you feel about the word "alot"?? It drives me crazy when people use it!!

Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 06-21-07 05:43 AM
In response to reyasunshine

• reyasunshine Said:
Have any of you seen www.getitwriteonline.com? It is SO cool! And has a section on the "nauseated" thing. I love that it says to just avoid the word "nauseous" completely.

Great site!!

petergabrielfan
Queen
petergabrielfan
In response to Huskymom

This isn't really a grammar mistake, but working for an insurance company I see "alot" (ha ha, couldn't resist) of crazy spellings of fairly common names. Sorry if I'm stepping on anyone's toes, but Lynnzee, Brandynn, Jazzmine, Jhennaffer and Maryee make me crazy when I see them.

reyasunshine
Diva
reyasunshine

Oh, Sarah, I know! I am really "into" names (www.behindthename.com is awesome!), and that pretty much drives me nutty. I mean... it's still the same name when you call it on the playground so you might as well not complicate the child's life.

I saw some really bad ones last week, but I can't remember now what they were. I'll have to think about that...

scrappercaz
Governor
scrappercaz

I've just been to two online scrapbook stores and they both spelled embellishment with only one l !?!

Lycosparks
Mayor
Lycosparks
In response to scrappercaz

I'm in a diet challenge and I keep seeing lose/loose/loss getting mixed up.

reyasunshine
Diva
reyasunshine
In response to Lycosparks

Frustrating. LOL. You'd think *companies* would have a copy editor or proofreader.

blushpea
Mayor
blushpea

OK I love grammar but I'm not a drill sergeant about it, I'll often type in slang or make up words cuz that's just how I'm wanting to communicate at that moment, I'm pretty casual on the boards!

HOWEVER, I must share my pet peeve with this thread... I HATE when people use "I" when they should use "me"! Example: "She gave a great gift to your father and I." Grrr! Would you say "She gave a great gift to I." ?!?! What's funny is that it was drilled into us that you always say "So-and-so and I" when that is the SUBJECT, so all these people use it ALL the time & it drives me bonkers!

Also, I really hate to point out specific people at sb.com, I feel it's mean, but there was an old thread here written by a TEACHER that had a HUGE mistake in the thread title & I couldn't believe it. I don't want to post a link because it kind of feels a bit catty (though I'm dying to PM it to someone) but it was the kind of mistake even an elementary school kid would've caught! And just when I thought it was just a typo by the OP, she said it again in the thread! I was aghast.

Lycosparks
Mayor
Lycosparks
In response to blushpea

• blushpea Said:
HOWEVER, I must share my pet peeve with this thread... I HATE when people use "I" when they should use "me"! Example: "She gave a great gift to your father and I." Grrr! Would you say "She gave a great gift to I." ?!?! What's funny is that it was drilled into us that you always say "So-and-so and I" when that is the SUBJECT, so all these people use it ALL the time & it drives me bonkers!

It's technically called "Hypercorrection." I'm no drill-sergeant either, but I just took a Linguistics class last semester. That mistake drives me nuts too.

reyasunshine
Diva
reyasunshine

Welcome, Sharon!! I'm so glad to see you in here! That's so funny that you mentioned "I" because I was just complaining about that today (to my husband)!

Something else that drives me bonkers: misplaced modifiers. I saw a sentence today that said, "She gave birth to a baby girl named Nina in Paris." GRRRR! "In Paris" is her middle name? Strange!

NittanyLionGirl
Pro
NittanyLionGirl

Working at a newspaper, you would be amazed at the errors that come across my desk as I'm editing an article to put on the page. This is after a reporter (who has a degree in English, journalism, communications or the like, therefore should know the basics of grammar) has written it, and an assignment editor has read it over. Yet, I still get words spelled incorrectly and subject/verb disagreement, etc.

Oh, another thing that is beginning to drive me insane. The superfluous use of the word 'that.' If you think about it, 'that' can almost always be taken out of the sentence with it still making sense. I don't think this is technically a grammar issue, more of a redundancy/extraneous word usage, but I think everyone could stand to be more concise! (I say as I go on and on and on...) :-D

Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 06-23-07 03:01 PM
In response to NittanyLionGirl

I agree with you about the word "that"!! It drives me nuts!

Judy_Scraps
Mayor
Judy_Scraps

• petergabrielfan Said:
This isn't really a grammar mistake, but working for an insurance company I see "alot" (ha ha, couldn't resist) of crazy spellings of fairly common names. Sorry if I'm stepping on anyone's toes, but Lynnzee, Brandynn, Jazzmine, Jhennaffer and Maryee make me crazy when I see them.

I hate proper names with odd spellings. Did you read about the couple in Australia (I think that's where they are) who want to name their kid 4Real?

dashe79
Expert
dashe79
In response to Judy_Scraps

• judyQ Said:

OMG I used to work for a company that produced grocery flyers and I saw this all the time. The culprits were the store owners who wrote out their own sales plans! Now that I design ads for a newspaper I still see that but I'm aloud to fix it.

Sorry to point it out, but a few editors at my paper get so annoyed at our ad department for spelling "fliers" as "flyers." There are so many house ads with that spelling, and it drives us batty! When we do point out these things to them, they either don't care or insist they are right! UGH!

dashe79
Expert
dashe79
In response to NittanyLionGirl

• NittanyLionGirl Said:
Oh, another thing that is beginning to drive me insane. The superfluous use of the word 'that.' If you think about it, 'that' can almost always be taken out of the sentence with it still making sense. I don't think this is technically a grammar issue, more of a redundancy/extraneous word usage, but I think everyone could stand to be more concise! (I say as I go on and on and on...) :-D

This one bothers me, too! I only take it out when I am editing, though, not when I am proofing. (I do that only because I consider it one of the more superficial things -- kind of like bad breaks on a page -- and I figure I could mark/look for more important things, such as factual errors, etc.) But it's amazing how often reporters put "that" into sentences!

Twinstars
Guru
Twinstars
In response to dashe79

I don't know if this has been said yet or not, but I hate random quotation marks on words that have no reason to have them.

Lycosparks
Mayor
Lycosparks
In response to Twinstars

I come across that, too.

One thing that my fiance gets bothered about is when people misuse "bring" and "take" in a sentence. Until he brought it up, I never even knew that it made a difference.

scrapbookbuzz
Diva
scrapbookbuzz

Ahhh, my grammar fix for the day!

Twinstars
Guru
Twinstars
In response to scrapbookbuzz

Got another one - cannot. Too bad most of my co-workers don't know this is just one word - I see "can not" all the time and it makes me nuts.

Maybe this is just me, but do any of you ever see common mistakes like this so often that you start to second guess yourself and think for a second maybe you're the one who's wrong?!?

Page 5 of 92 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics