Username Post: The Grammar Gurus        (Topic#1420201)
Twinstars
Guru
Twinstars
In response to petergabrielfan

Pending and depending mean two different things. Someone needs to tell my coworkers.

petergabrielfan
Queen
petergabrielfan
In response to Twinstars

• Twinstars Said:
Pending and depending mean two different things. Someone needs to tell my coworkers.

That's right up there with people who use specific and Pacific as synonyms.

reyasunshine
Diva
reyasunshine

Pacific and specific? Pending and depending? Oh My Holy Lord! That happens?!

I agree though... I'm not a fan of net-speak. What's wrong with just typing those few extra letters?! There are some people who leave me comments with net-speak. It takes me much longer to read the comment!

reyasunshine
Diva
reyasunshine
In response to reyasunshine

Here's a cute blog by a Grammar Snob. Enjoy.

http://www.conjugatevisits.blogspot.com/

petergabrielfan
Queen
petergabrielfan

Love it! The little text boxes are adorable that she created.

shanbah
Idol
shanbah

I love this thread! I get incredibly twitchy when I hear people say conversate.

iluminot
Veteran
iluminot

I'm partially one of you, although I do use "alright" all of the time...

I typo so much, it's like I'm not even a grammar freak anymore.

I finally found out the answer to one of my questions though. It is journaling or journalling? Traveling or travelling? It can actually be either. The American tendency is to use one consonant, the British tendency is to use two. Who knew?

I think nothing bothers me more than "your" and "you're", though.

reyasunshine
Diva
reyasunshine
In response to iluminot

Oh, you guys are too funny!

iluminot: Love what's in your signature! What a great idea! I figured out the one/two consonant thing when I worked with a British boss. LOL. He kept spelling things *differently* than I did so I finally had to look it up. You're right... who knew?! LOL.

scrappercaz
Governor
scrappercaz
In response to iluminot

How funny! - I was deliberating that exact thing recently and decided to use one l in journaling (on some professional printing I was having done). In the end I reasoned that as journalist and journalism was only one, the same rule would follow.

Judy_Scraps
Mayor
Judy_Scraps
In response to scrappercaz

I build ads at a newspaper. Last week I received a two sided postcard to use as copy for an ad. The postcard had Exhibition spelled wrong on both sides so it clearly was a spelling error and not a typo. I fixed it when I did my version of the ad. Afterwards the salesperson told me the customer commented that he noticed that I caught his spelling error. She said he knew it was there but didn't want to pay to have 10,000 postcards reprinted. I asked if he expected us to print it wrong too. The printer that made up the postcards should have caught and fixed that before it went to press. My company would never intentionally print an ad with spelling errors.

scrapbookbuzz
Diva
scrapbookbuzz
In response to Judy_Scraps

I've been reading quite a few books lately that have either had words spelled wrong or completely omitted! That makes me want to circle the errors, send it back to the publisher and ask, "Who's your proofreader? Need a better one?"

reyasunshine
Diva
reyasunshine
In response to scrapbookbuzz

Seriously, scrapbookbuzz! I feel the same way! And that's a great idea! I may do that...

There is a car dealership near us, and they have about TEN signs outside that say, "Open Sunday's!" TEN TIMES! It bothers me EVERY time I drive by. UGH... I'm going to have to drive by today.

scrapbookbuzz
Diva
scrapbookbuzz

For all of you who have Punctuation OCD, as well...

There is a book that was published to help elementary students understand the importance of proper placing of their punctuation. It's called Eats, Shoots and Leaves. Has anyone hear ever read it? I may order it next week with my dd's Scholastic book order.

riorabbit
Queen
riorabbit
In response to scrapbookbuzz

*saving thread to favs for a list of people to torture with my 15 page research proposal* Anyone love APA format?

Josiology
Guru
Josiology
In response to riorabbit

My biggest pet peave is when someone writes scraping when they mean scrapping.

reyasunshine
Diva
reyasunshine
In response to Josiology

Joda, that kind of bothers me as well. And a lot of people even have it as their screen name. I don't feel comfortable enough, though, to let them know! LOL.

Scrapbookbuzz: I have heard of that book! I'll have to look for it next time I'm in the bookstore. Or perhaps I'll just order it from Amazon when I place my next order.

Rio: Hey, it couldn't hurt, right?! LOL. As for APA, is that Associated Press? I know AP Stylebook format. There are other formats, though, that drive me crazy!

Oh, and Ladies! I recently accepted a position with Memory Works. I'm a contributing writer for their newsletter! Hoorah! I'm hoping to proofread it some day too. I know newsletters could always use a 2nd set of eyes.

Hope everyone is doing well!

Ami G
Ami G 
Diva
Ami G
  • Ami G on 04-08-08 04:23 PM

Hello!

I just found this thread. I love you people. I agree with everything that has been said.

As a Southerner, I have to say I hate when people misspell "y'all" as "ya'll". I'm not sure if this is an issue for any of you, but I do see it a lot online. It drives me crazy!

Anyway, this thread is awesome! Carry on!

ELynn
ELynn 
Angel
ELynn
  • ELynn on 04-08-08 08:14 PM
In response to Ami G

• ahg Said:
Hello!

I just found this thread. I love you people. I agree with everything that has been said.

As a Southerner, I have to say I hate when people misspell "y'all" as "ya'll". I'm not sure if this is an issue for any of you, but I do see it a lot online. It drives me crazy!

Anyway, this thread is awesome! Carry on!

opps. in my defense, that's not taught in school.

I write ya'll. didn't know it was y'all.

Mix-on the Memories
Diva
Mix-on the Memories
In response to Josiology

• Joda Said:
My biggest pet peave is when someone writes scraping when they mean scrapping.

The problem with Scraping and Scrapping is that they both are spelled correctly in spell check.

scrapbookbuzz
Diva
scrapbookbuzz
In response to Mix-on the Memories

That could be a problem.

Now for a funny story:

I was driving my dd and her friend to ballet today. They were talking about koala bears and my dd's friend says, "I named her Kiwi (her stuffed animal koala) because it's tropical and koalas come from Hawaii...sometimes." Oh, the wisdom of a nine-year-old! I quickly corrected that!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics